Trainee Redneck

Old Mar 9th 2018, 7:12 pm
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Trainee Redneck

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Dämn you! I was going to say exactly the same thing.

The only people who sneer about The South are people who either (i) have never lived here, or (ii) are very delicate liberals.
I've been to Florida:

Good: cheap gas

Bad: Just about everything else
Old Mar 9th 2018, 7:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dc koop
I've been to Florida:

Good: cheap gas

Bad: Just about everything else
The only part of Florida that is in 'the South' is the North, and it's worth pointing out that its like a different state
Old Mar 9th 2018, 8:34 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I quite like Atlanta.

Never been anywhere else in GA.

I just cannot deal with humidity which is the issue I have.

Travel from Atlanta region is easy with the worlds busiest airport and all with Delta.
Old Mar 9th 2018, 8:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robtuck
The humidity and heat are great, don't listen to them.
For me the combination of heat and humidity would make the south a non-starter for me. I used to live in New England and that was bad enough for me. I love being outdoors hiking and biking and that climate is draining when doing strenuous physical activity. But, I'm well aware that for some it's a positive.
Old Mar 10th 2018, 5:30 am
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Not a single mountain, non stop humidity night and day, A/C going full blast all summer long and large scale flooding during hurricane season.

When all the ice caps melt the State will be under water
Old Mar 10th 2018, 1:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

dj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond repute

Not a single mountain, non stop humidity night and day, A/C going full blast all summer long and large scale flooding during hurricane season.

Gosh aren't you Mr Positive lol
Old Mar 10th 2018, 2:39 pm
Forum Regular

NYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond reputeNYer has a reputation beyond repute

And it's still a close majority of Trump voters.:.... for now anyway. Surprised you forgot to mention that.
Atlanta's not a Democratic stronghold?
Old Mar 10th 2018, 4:28 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the South. Although you are in Georgia, you are not really in redneck country. The lifestyle, and suppose you can call it culture, are vastly different from California but still you are in Atlanta and it is metropolitan. Visit a little west of you to Alabama and Mississippi (only a 5 hour drive) and you will really hear and see the difference. Down here in Mississippi, it is not Mr. and Mrs. but you are address as "M'am" or Miss Rete and the men are called Sir or Mr. FirstName. Even after two years, I'm still not use to being addressed in this manner. Even doctors are not called by their surnames but are called Dr. Stoney or Dr. Jason rather than Dr. Williamson or Dr. Lindsey. A world unto itself

Yes, it is hot, hot, hot and humid in the summers and summer starts in April and May. Do you need a/c 24/7? Yup, you do. Some people like the heat and humidity, others don't. As they say, ymmv. Up north in the summer, I went from an air conditioned apartment to an a/c car to an a/c train to an a/c office. Limited time in the elements and it is virtually the same living down here in Mississippi. From a/c house to a/c car to a/c store or to a/c church, etc.

Yes, you will get an occasional hurricane but usually you will get more tornado watches and warnings, especially in the outer 'burbs. Learn the safe place to hunker down and keep a survival kit close at hand. It becomes a way of life.
Old Mar 10th 2018, 8:03 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I would consider Tennessee part of the south.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Smoky_Mountains
Old Mar 10th 2018, 8:11 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I would consider Tennessee part of the south.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Smoky_Mountains
It is. What's your point? Da Koop was talking specifically about Florida.

There are plenty of mountains in The South - the Appalachians are probably the second best known mountain range in the US (after the Rockies) and they start in northern Alabama, cross Georgia, and pretty much form the deviding line between TN and NC. Going northwards they then broaden and comprise much of western Virginia, some of eastern Kentucky, and the whole of West Virginia; the latter may, or may not be part of The South.

Last edited by Pulaski; Mar 10th 2018 at 8:15 pm.
Old Mar 10th 2018, 8:16 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I don't see that he was talking about Florida. They might not be high but there are four mountains in Florida:

The “mountains” of Florida, ranked by elevation:
Sugarloaf Mountain 310+ ft
Iron Mountain 295 ft
Sandy Mountain 295 ft
Sand Mountain 272 ft
Old Mar 10th 2018, 8:23 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
I don't see that he was talking about Florida. They might not be high but there are four mountains in Florida:

The “mountains” of Florida, ranked by elevation:
Sugarloaf Mountain 310+ ft
Iron Mountain 295 ft
Sandy Mountain 295 ft
Sand Mountain 272 ft
300 ft isn't a mountain!

Conventionally a mountain has a peak elevation of at least 1000ft, hence the movie made a few years ago, based on a true story, The Man Who Went Up A Hill and Came Down a Mountain, after he had the bright idea of building a pile of rocks and earth on top of the hill near where he lived, thereby making it Hugh enough to be a mountain.
Old Mar 10th 2018, 8:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
It is. What's your point? Da Koop was talking specifically about Florida.

There are plenty of mountains in The South - the Appalachians are probably the second best known mountain range in the US (after the Rockies) and they start in northern Alabama, cross Georgia, and pretty much form the deviding line between TN and NC. Going northwards they then broaden and comprise much of western Virginia, some of eastern Kentucky, and the whole of West Virginia; the latter may, or may not be part of The South.
In the absence of a quote in Koop's post, I also figured he was talking about Georgia as this is a thread about a Trainee Redneck in Atlanta.

And when the ice caps melt and Florida (or Georgia) is under water, so will large swathes of the California coastline. I'll be gone long before that so I'm alright, Jack.
Old Mar 10th 2018, 11:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Welcome to the South. Although you are in Georgia, you are not really in redneck country.
Ma'am, there's no redneck like a Florida redneck.

Atlanta is indeed a long way from the world of y'all'd've...
Old Mar 11th 2018, 3:07 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

The most redneck I have seen (granted I haven't travelled the south much) is Mountain City, TN.

Was farms and churches with a few homes in-between.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.