Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

tipping the business owner??

tipping the business owner??

Old Jul 24th 2017, 10:52 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute
Default tipping the business owner??

Went to the hairdresser today - he has moved from previous salon where he was an employee and is now self-employed.

So when I paid, the software he uses gave me the option to add a tip with varying amounts suggested. I was a bit nonplussed tbh but added what would have been the normal tip had he been an employee.

what's the normal thing to do in these circumstances?
Old Jul 24th 2017, 11:03 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: tipping the business owner??

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
Went to the hairdresser today - he has moved from previous salon where he was an employee and is now self-employed.

So when I paid, the software he uses gave me the option to add a tip with varying amounts suggested. I was a bit nonplussed tbh but added what would have been the normal tip had he been an employee.

what's the normal thing to do in these circumstances?
I was always used to the "you don't tip the owner" maxim, but it doesn't seem to work that way here. I used to go to a self-employed person and saw that the client before me always tipped, so I followed suit.
Old Jul 24th 2017, 11:21 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
I was always used to the "you don't tip the owner" maxim, but it doesn't seem to work that way here. I used to go to a self-employed person and saw that the client before me always tipped, so I followed suit.
Same here - I kept going to the same lady that cuts my hair when she bought out the owner, and it seems a bit churlish to arbitrarily stop tipping, expecially when she was only charging $12 for a wash and cut in the first place. I used to round up to $15, then I rounded up to $20. Now I usually leave $25 on the counter, but I no longer know why the basic charge is! .... I suspect it is around $13-$14.
Old Jul 24th 2017, 11:25 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I never tipped the owner. My former hairdresser would refuse a tip stating she was the owner. The owner gets all charges and a portion of all the rest of the hairdressers in the shop.

My current hairdresser rents a chair from someone so I leave a tip for her. Has never been refused.
Old Jul 24th 2017, 11:40 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
I never tipped the owner. My former hairdresser would refuse a tip stating she was the owner. The owner gets all charges and a portion of all the rest of the hairdressers in the shop.

My current hairdresser rents a chair from someone so I leave a tip for her. Has never been refused.
It was a one-woman operation, so we are probably in agreement!
Old Jul 25th 2017, 1:35 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

It was a one-woman operation,
Mine is too, now. When she took over the business she had one other chair, and I was paying $15 for a $12 cut. It is since she sold the premises but retained the clients, that my tip went up.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jul 25th 2017 at 1:38 am.
Old Jul 25th 2017, 2:25 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, this is a "rent the chair" set up as well.

He has maintained the pricing of his previous salon which I think is a bit much. The other place was a fairly high end one and this place is nice but .... not as nice. It's still the same guy doing the same thing so I kind of reconciled myself to paying the same price, just paying a hefty tip on top seemed a bit much to me.
Old Jul 25th 2017, 2:41 am

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
.... It's still the same guy doing the same thing so I kind of reconciled myself to paying the same price, just paying a hefty tip on top seemed a bit much to me.
If you don't think he's worth the money, including tip, then go elsewhere, if you do think he's worth the money then I am not sure why you would give him a pay cut.
Old Jul 25th 2017, 3:06 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

It was a one-woman operation, so we are probably in agreement!
My former hairdresser was a two chair establishment. Owner did my hair when my regular girl was on one of her twice yearly trips back to Ireland.

The new hairdresser is also a two chair establishment but she pays a percentage to the owner to rent the chair.
Old Jul 25th 2017, 3:07 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by Pulaski
If you don't think he's worth the money, including tip, then go elsewhere, if you do think he's worth the money then I am not sure why you would give him a pay cut.
You are tipping on the service not really on the ambience.
Old Jul 25th 2017, 3:10 am
Austin. TX.

Originally Posted by Pulaski
well that's the thing.... as an owner then he will have (should have) built in his profit into the pricing. As an employee his salary will have included the expectation of tips.

If a business owner has to expect tips in order to make a profit then there's something wrong with the business plan.

Also, you expect to pay more for a nicer environment. I suspect that his pricing is based more on lack of business knowledge than anything else.

He has done a good job though!
Old Jul 25th 2017, 11:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Redwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond reputeRedwing has a reputation beyond repute

My wife and I both use the same hairdresser, and always tipped her when she worked for someone else. When she went solo 5 years ago, we continue to tip her.
Old Jul 25th 2017, 7:44 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Tipping in general is out of control in the US and Canada. If I am already paying for a service (in this thread a haircut on a set and agreed upon price) then why should I as the customer have to provide additional funds above and beyond the agreed upon price?
Old Jul 25th 2017, 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Tipping in general is out of control in the US and Canada. If I am already paying for a service (in this thread a haircut on a set and agreed upon price) then why should I as the customer have to provide additional funds above and beyond the agreed upon price?
I thought you would have been more sympathetic to the poorly paid employees waiting tables and in the beauty business who benefit from the largesse of their customers.

I was more than happy to give our cheerful waitress a $6 tip on a $25 bill when Mrs P, little Miss P and I had breakfast last Sunday at a local diner.
Old Jul 25th 2017, 8:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

Why are the employees so poorly paid in the first place that the customer is expected to supply a portion of their income? So many states have such slack labour laws that you can easily sack underperformers, so it's not like they aren't already well motivated to provide a good service.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.