Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Tip/ gift for realtor?

Tip/ gift for realtor?

Old May 13th 2015, 7:12 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tip/ gift for realtor?

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Brokers have more training, more responsibilities, more rights, and are held to a higher standard of knowledge.

They also responsible for what their agents do.
Right, but most people seem oblivious to the fact that of the "6% realtors fee" half gets split between the brokers, .... and indeed oblivious that "the broker" even exists, they just think that the buyers and sellers agents on a $500,000 property each put $15,000 in their pocket.
Old May 13th 2015, 7:21 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Right, but most people seem oblivious to the fact that of the "6% realtors fee" half gets split between the brokers, .... and indeed oblivious that "the broker" even exists, they just think that the buyers and sellers agents on a $500,000 property each put $15,000 in their pocket.
That being said, even at 1.5%; $7,500.00 is nothing to be sneezed at ...
Old May 13th 2015, 7:25 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
That being said, even at 1.5%; $7,500.00 is nothing to be sneezed at ...
I'm not going to argue with that!
Old May 13th 2015, 7:26 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not going to argue with that!
Even for my far more moderately priced house, they'd have been pocketing over $2K each at that rate. I'm not belittling the amount of fannying about they probably have to do to generate sales, but it seems to me if a realtor isn't making enough money, they only have themselves to blame.
Old May 13th 2015, 7:57 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

A typical real estate commission is 6%.

If the listing and selling agents are not the same (which is usually the case), then this will be divided between them, leaving each brokerage with 3%.

Typically, the broker will keep 50% of that, with the agent receiving the rest. So that's 1.5% to the agent. An experienced agent should be able to negotiate a higher split.

The agent is responsible for many of the expenses associated with the business, so the 1.5% or whatever it is is not pure profit.

The agent also has to use commissions to compensate for time, effort and expenses devoted to other deals that didn't work and paid nothing. Your deal may have been easy, but there will have been another deal or six that went nowhere and produced a loss for the agent.
Old May 13th 2015, 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
.... The agent also has to use commissions to compensate for time, effort and expenses devoted to other deals that didn't work and paid nothing. Your deal may have been easy, but there will have been another deal or six that went nowhere and produced a loss for the agent.
When we first moved to NC we, Mrs P and/or I were taken round by our realtor to see probably 80-100 houses over three months and a 100x30 mile area before we found one we liked, which was literally just around the corner from our realtor's own home! She worked hard for her 1.5%.

At one point we had a purchase provisionally agreed but the seller wouldn't play ball on a termite problem and by the time they came to their senses my employment situation changed and we tore up the offer and started over! .... Most of the houses we looked at were after we tore up the offer and started over.
Old May 13th 2015, 9:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Is that 3% then? ..... Because customarily that is then split 50:50 again with the "broker" (the office/ franchise owner). In short, "your realtor" (whether buyer's or seller's agent) usually only collects 1.5%.
She is the franchise owner.
Old May 13th 2015, 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by kins
She is the franchise owner.
So she is also saddled with the rent/ business mortgage, taxes, and other expenses and overheads of running a realtor's office.
Old May 13th 2015, 9:30 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

I heard somewhere recently that over 80% of people that take the realtors exams are not in the industry 5 years later - maybe shows that despite the appearance of a huge payoff, in reality, what they see at the end of the day is far from the headline number.

On the other hand, I've just sold my mothers house in the UK for 285,000
Estate Agents Fees 1100 - Less than half a percent. And most UK agents have a significant cost that most US agents don't (at least round here) - a high profile High Street storefront.

Ok, US/UK property transactions are based on very different business models, but, despite that statistic in my first para, the costs of property transactions here are, frankly, ridiculous, and my heart is never going to bleed for a business that charges 6%.
Old May 13th 2015, 9:32 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

So she is also saddled with the rent/ business mortgage, taxes, and other expenses and overheads of running a realtor's office.
Not to mention, presumably, a Franchise Fee?
Old May 13th 2015, 9:47 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

My wifes office is fairly small, but between the 2 admins (my wife and another girl) and the office manager, 80 to 100k right there just to employ those 3 people.

They have 15 agents in total.

The turn over of new agents and the fierce competition from existing agents, it can be really hard to enter and make money for newbies.

There a some months where the agents owe the broker so much their entire commission check goes to the broker, I don't think its the money maker it appears to be on the surface.
Old May 14th 2015, 1:08 am
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

I'm also saddled with similar costs but I've never received a cheque that big for that little work...
Old May 14th 2015, 1:27 am

Originally Posted by kins
I'm also saddled with similar costs but I've never received a cheque that big for that little work...
I believe that you are under-estimating her overheads, including the franchise fee that Yorkie referred to, and the amount of time she spends on "projects" that never lead to a fee, that RWFLP referred to. ..... I have no doubt that in the "good times" she may well be raking it in, but the lean times for a realtor can be very lean indeed.

When we were in New York we had signed up with IIRC four realtors in different parts of Westchester County and Putnam County, and saw a number of houses, probably 30+/-, and never bought a house, so that was a load of unreimbursed time for several realtors.
Old May 14th 2015, 1:42 am
Forum Regular

Suz16 has a reputation beyond reputeSuz16 has a reputation beyond reputeSuz16 has a reputation beyond reputeSuz16 has a reputation beyond reputeSuz16 has a reputation beyond reputeSuz16 has a reputation beyond reputeSuz16 has a reputation beyond reputeSuz16 has a reputation beyond reputeSuz16 has a reputation beyond reputeSuz16 has a reputation beyond reputeSuz16 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks so much for all the replies! Looks like I won't be buying a gift then.
Old May 14th 2015, 2:21 am
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

For a bit of fun, try this realtor exam. Only 44% for me! (The cost per acre question marks you as wrong even when it says the correct answer is the same as what you said)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.