Reload this Page >

Time for another gun thread

Time for another gun thread

Old Jul 27th 2015, 4:30 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Time for another gun thread

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
Statistical data tells us that the gun makes you less safe. This is true whether or not you are aware of it or are willing to acknowledge it.
In this case?
Old Jul 27th 2015, 4:33 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
In this case?
I'd say the gun didn't do Mr. Doyle any favours at all in this case. Fair enough, he shut up the bloke that was running his mouth, but he'll do some hard time for it in the end.

Hardly seems worth it, when all he needed to do was tell the guy to **** off and call the fuzz if he didn't.
Old Jul 27th 2015, 4:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

audio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
Feeling safer is not the same as actually being safer.
If I feel safer, I will be happier at least and maybe my heart will keep pumping a bit longer, particularly with my 45 at hand.
Old Jul 27th 2015, 4:36 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Three key questions.
1. Does the recreational benefit of guns out way the risk?
Life is a risk, so probably.
2. Do guns make you safer.
All the stats seem to indicate no.
3. Is your property worth more than a criminals life?
No for me, though others opinions will differ.
Old Jul 27th 2015, 4:38 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by audio
If I feel safer, I will be happier at least and maybe my heart will keep pumping a bit longer, particularly with my 45 at hand.
So the facts don't matter, only your emotional state. That's comforting.
Old Jul 27th 2015, 4:39 pm
Account Closed

Yes to all 3.

Next question.
Old Jul 27th 2015, 4:39 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
There has to be some kind of happy medium with respect to private gun ownership though, something that allows the sport shooter to go make holes in paper, or the hunter to bag himself some venison but doesn't allow crazies to perforate someone because they can't handle a simple altercation ...
If it was up to me, I would allow rifles and restrict handguns. Handguns are too easy to conceal and too convenient to use.
Old Jul 27th 2015, 4:41 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Three key questions.
1. Does the recreational benefit of guns out way the risk?
Life is a risk, so probably.
2. Do guns make you safer.
All the stats seem to indicate no.
3. Is your property worth more than a criminals life?
No for me, though others opinions will differ.
1. The risk can be diminished by using a trigger lock and gun/ammunition safes in the home, and virtually eliminated by keeping your guns at the range, if that is something that can be done.

Failing that, there's a risk in everything. I could break a leg playing football, but I don't let it stop me.

2. No, they don't. Irrespective of what reason they are bought for, the gun itself isn't going to do anything to make you safer. It's how you keep and operate it that will determine how safe you are.

3. Hard to answer this one as life only has subjective value. One thing though, property aside, I value my life over a criminal's, so I'm damn sure not going to risk being put away for killing someone unless I was sure beyond reasonable doubt that my own life, or that of someone close to me, was in danger. If not, run like **** wins every time.
Old Jul 27th 2015, 4:41 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Yes to all 3.

Next question.
The next question is to ask you to cite credible references for a 'yes' to #2. That question is not answered by an opinion.
Old Jul 27th 2015, 4:43 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
If it was up to me, I would allow rifles and restrict handguns. Handguns are too easy to conceal and too convenient to use.
That would work.

People really should be keeping shotguns for 'home defense' anyway. The low velocity rounds make the risk of collateral damage from stray bullets go away, but they have excellent stopping power, if that's your ultimate goal.
Old Jul 27th 2015, 4:47 pm
Account Closed

The next question is to ask you to cite credible references for a 'yes' to #2. That question is not answered by an opinion.
They were statements not opinions.

It is up to you want you want to do or think, only becomes an issue when you want to force your opinions on other people.
Old Jul 27th 2015, 4:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
I'd say the gun didn't do Mr. Doyle any favours at all in this case. Fair enough, he shut up the bloke that was running his mouth, but he'll do some hard time for it in the end.

Hardly seems worth it, when all he needed to do was tell the guy to **** off and call the fuzz if he didn't.
It's Florida, stand my ground laws will probably mean he doesn't do any time. Getting out of your car to initiate a confrontation is usually seen as making you the aggressor regardless of what the other motorist has done.
Old Jul 27th 2015, 4:49 pm
He/him

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
It's Florida, stand my ground laws will probably mean he doesn't do any time. Getting out of your car to initiate a confrontation is usually seen as making you the aggressor regardless of what the other motorist has done.
...even if shot in the back?
Old Jul 27th 2015, 4:51 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
Though, it did say in the article that the police were not considering this a stand your ground case. Perhaps he'll still get what's coming to him.

It appears there was a witness who said they saw Gonzalez back off before he was shot, so maybe that affects it.
Old Jul 27th 2015, 4:52 pm
Account Closed

His issue would be holding wife and child, can not see much justification for that and a much easier charge to make stick.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.