Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Time for another 'black person killed by police' thread

Time for another 'black person killed by police' thread

Old Aug 1st 2015, 6:19 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Time for another 'black person killed by police' thread

Originally Posted by Steerpike
So why didn't she cooperate when asked to get out of the car? The more these reports surface, the more a pattern is evolving whereby blacks are treated badly in these encounters. How many encounters do you have to have, either yourself or in your circle of friends/family, before you develop a 'bad attitude'? I'm very cooperative when I'm stopped, and treated well. But if I were repeatedly treated disrespectfully or unfairly, my attitude would change. So I don't think it's a simple matter of just saying 'cooperate and do as your told and you'll be ok'.

But again, a simple lane-change incident ends in death, and the cop was antagonistic to the driver.
This case is infuriating to me. The cop went out of his way to escalate the situation, antagonize the driver and just generally be a power-tripping asshole. She was from my area and people around here are generally furious. At least the officer in question has been suspended and it looks like he's going to be prosecuted.

Some of these confrontations are likely driven by race, but I think a bigger issue is the macho/superiority-complex attitude that seems to be so prevalent in police departments. There's a fine line here. I get that it's best for the police to dominate potentially dangerous situations in order to ensure safety. I agree that people should follow a police officer's instructions. However, the unquestioning, meek compliance that some cops seem to demand no matter how ridiculous the request and no matter how non-threatening the situation is infuriating. In this case, the officer had no right to ask her to put out her cigarette. He also had no probable cause to yank her out of the car and taze her. All of this was caused by his patronizing tone, arrogance and complete lack of professionalism. Like this guy, too many cops seem to lose professional composure and seek to impose domination through their badge in a measure far beyond what the situation calls for. I've personally seen it several times when I was younger: three times cops pulled me over for (frankly) chicken-shit violations and then treated me with a complete lack of respect. I'll pay your stupid fine, but at least try not to act like a 14 year old playground bully. I'm fortunate that haven't been pulled over in decades however I dread having to deal with the cops more than I dread paying higher insurance. That's not a good thing for me or the police.

Clearly people should respect the police, but that respect needs to be mutual.
Old Aug 1st 2015, 7:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hiro11
This case is infuriating to me. The cop went out of his way to escalate the situation, antagonize the driver and just generally be a power-tripping asshole. She was from my area and people around here are generally furious. At least the officer in question has been suspended and it looks like he's going to be prosecuted.

Some of these confrontations are likely driven by race, but I think a bigger issue is the macho/superiority-complex attitude that seems to be so prevalent in police departments. There's a fine line here. I get that it's best for the police to dominate potentially dangerous situations in order to ensure safety. I agree that people should follow a police officer's instructions. However, the unquestioning, meek compliance that some cops seem to demand no matter how ridiculous the request and no matter how non-threatening the situation is infuriating. In this case, the officer had no right to ask her to put out her cigarette. He also had no probable cause to yank her out of the car and taze her. All of this was caused by his patronizing tone, arrogance and complete lack of professionalism. Like this guy, too many cops seem to lose professional composure and seek to impose domination through their badge in a measure far beyond what the situation calls for. I've personally seen it several times when I was younger: three times cops pulled me over for (frankly) chicken-shit violations and then treated me with a complete lack of respect. I'll pay your stupid fine, but at least try not to act like a 14 year old playground bully. I'm fortunate that haven't been pulled over in decades however I dread having to deal with the cops more than I dread paying higher insurance. That's not a good thing for me or the police.

Clearly people should respect the police, but that respect needs to be mutual.
Agree 100% with all that. With regards to the last line, absolutely. But of course, respect needs to be earned, it isn't a right.
Old Aug 1st 2015, 7:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
If bail is as you suggest as an example $5,000. How much money do people need to pay? In ignorance I have assumed it would be about 10%, but I have no idea. Anyone know what percentage of bail is needed before you get out?
I read a whole bunch on this last night, after seeing the first clip posted by Mrs. Danvers.

You can either
1) pay the bail amount ($5,000 in this case) in full, and you get that entire amount back when you show up for your appearance. Or,
2) if you can't locate that much money, (and this is where it gets real murky), you can get a bail bonds company to pay it for you; they pay the court/police the $5,000 and they charge you a 'fee' for the privilege; apparently its in the 10-15% range, so you pay $500-$700 for the privilege. This money is non-refundable, pure profit for the bailbond company. And if you don't later show up for trial, the bailbond company have alarming 'rights' to come after you (this is covered in the clip posted above, btw). Some states / counties are now banning the practice but the bail bond industry is a heavy supporter of the status quo (obviously).
Old Aug 2nd 2015, 2:17 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

..... And if you don't later show up for trial, the bailbond company have alarming 'rights' to come after you ......
Sounds like the sort of thing that would make the basis of a successful reality TV show.

Oh! It's been done already.
Old Aug 2nd 2015, 2:34 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

We don't have bail bonds places here, bail is many times granted on one own recognizance or by having a surety sign for you but may not require an actual deposit being place with the court.

Usually only the most serious crimes have large deposits set but they are almost always far lower amounts then what the US would set for the same crime.

But our system is still largely based on trying to rehabilitate vs punish.

Even if convicted, a person may be released on bail pending appeal, seems to happen a lot more then you'd find in the US.

Downside is even if your found not guilty, the crown prosecutors can appeal the decision and the acquittal can be over turned on appeal.
Old Aug 2nd 2015, 2:37 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
That's kind of backing up my point about it being a localized thing. For every bad experience you may have (and how bad is your driving that you're being pulled over that much ), someone elsewhere could have a perfectly uneventful one. Other than being given the ticket, despite my best efforts, my experience with the Cook County Sheriffs was pretty innocuous.

I just don't get the whole 'I'll give them an attitude just to prove my point' thing, you have to know you'll just end up making it worse for yourself doing that.
He does have a point though, state cops in MA are the biggest cocks ever compared to anywhere else I've seen staties.
Old Aug 2nd 2015, 2:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Mrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond repute

In the UK I found the police professional, polite and never had any reason to distrust them. I'm sure there were bad apples in the various UK police departments too.

However, in the USA these videos surfacing are a weekly occurrence. The tactic used on Sandra Bland is a well known one, speed up behind a car, get them for either speeding or an illegal lane change.

That cop obviously decided to escalate the situation, then wrestle her to the ground and assault her because she didn't show enough deference and "respect". The sort of limp dick that exhibits that behaviour should never have any sort of authority.

The campus cop who shot the guy in the face - what was running through his mind? He lied and had his buddies back him up in the lie and didn't think the fact he was wearing a camera would negate his lies?

Clearly something should change about US policing - accountability for actions has been lacking.

It beggars belief when people make excuses for all this.
Old Aug 2nd 2015, 4:06 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

We have police issues up here as well, not on the scale as the US and it's usually the native population getting the brunt of it.

They are less likely to shoot, but they like their tasers and have had some questionable deaths happen from using a taser, lying to cover themselves and other officers lying to cover things up.

Our national police force has a fair amount of corruption as well.
Old Aug 2nd 2015, 6:08 am
Account Closed

Sandra Bland's arresting officer once flagged over conduct - World - CBC News
Old Aug 3rd 2015, 12:43 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

This is an example of why police are edgy around black men.

Just sayin'.

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 3rd 2015 at 12:46 pm.
Old Aug 3rd 2015, 3:43 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski

Just sayin'.
And this is an example of why black men are edgy around police.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/08/us...eath.html?_r=0

Just sayin'
Old Aug 3rd 2015, 4:02 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

After centuries of slavery, Jim Crow and police departments that were effectively extensions of the Klan, it's difficult to imagine why some blacks might have some trust issues with the cops.
Old Aug 3rd 2015, 4:26 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski

Just sayin'.
Shouldn't they just be edgy around drug dealers? In general?

Note to add... Edgy does NOT mean go in guns blazing either.
Old Aug 3rd 2015, 4:34 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

<snip> Are you in the "it's his fault; he should have just got out of the car when told to do so" camp, or do you see a bigger picture problem that being stopped for a front license plate violation should not result in death?
<snip>
Back to the Dubose case.

So, I was forced to have this conversation with a client. Actually, due to company protocols, I was forced to listen, nod, and make vague nonsensical comments while he ranted --- irrespective of the complete lack of encouragement he found.

Apparently the conclusion was (1) he shouldn't have argued with the cop and (2) don't bring a knife to a gun fight.

I honestly wonder what people see, or think they're seeing, when they watch the video. I didn't see him arguing at all. He seemed kind of vague and evasive but not aggressive or argumentative. There is a difference. It appeared to me that he may have been about to try to take off. Is that what anybody else saw? Was he starting the car and (most likely) about to do a runner? Even if he was about to run, which I'm unsure of, running is not an act of aggression.

I honestly wonder how two people can watch the same video and come away with such completely different versions of the events.
Old Aug 3rd 2015, 4:37 pm
WTF?

Originally Posted by Nutek
Shouldn't they just be edgy around drug dealers? In general?

Note to add... Edgy does NOT mean go in guns blazing either.
And why is it okay for heavily armed police officers to be "edgy" around the (black) public that they serve but yet it's completely unreasonable for unarmed black men to have the same tendencies toward the police?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.