Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Thousands of light bulbs.

Thousands of light bulbs.

Old Aug 14th 2017, 4:16 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thousands of light bulbs.

Originally Posted by Steerpike
In looking around at new(er) homes, it seems the trend towards massive bathrooms and bedrooms is still in play. I saw a house last week that had a giant tub in the middle of the bathroom (totally impractical in my mind as water will splash everywhere), with two full sink/counter arrangements on either side of the room. The shower was also stupidly large with multiple 'heads'. Then there were two walk-in closets (just for the master suite) - his n hers. Then the f-ing master bedroom was massive, with room for huge armchairs in addition to the bed. I just can't see the point of dedicating all that room to bed/bath activities; I'd rather have more room elsewhere, or - not at all (less to clean). We are downsizing from 2700 sq ft to hopefully 1800-2200 sq ft.
That tub in the middle of the bathroom sounds like a terrible idea. Get that maf'k up against the wall where it belongs.

I sort of like the idea of bigger secondary bedrooms so kids can fit all their crap in there, plus a bed/desk/dresser/etc, since kids tend to spend a lot of their time in their room (well I did anyway), but yeah, the master doesn't have to be huge, unless a lot of the space is effectively used for storage.

at the idea of downsizing to somewhere that's still bigger than my house, even if we were to fully finish our basement and convert it into liveable space. Though I'd wager you can't buy a 3-bed, 2-bath for around $150k round your way, either.
Old Aug 14th 2017, 4:33 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lizzyq
I'm sorry those are just so ugly I couldn't even consider them for our house.
We have those uglies in our bathroom over the sink area, as well. Only we have 6 lights, not 12.
Old Aug 14th 2017, 4:36 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
We have those uglies in our bathroom over the sink area, as well. Only we have 6 lights, not 12.
We have a strip of 4. I honestly don't think I've been in a single (residential) bathroom in the US that doesn't have at least a strip of 4.
Old Aug 14th 2017, 4:41 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Houses seem to get bigger, apartments seem to be getting smaller by the decade.
Old Aug 14th 2017, 6:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing

at the idea of downsizing to somewhere that's still bigger than my house, even if we were to fully finish our basement and convert it into liveable space. Though I'd wager you can't buy a 3-bed, 2-bath for around $150k round your way, either.
We have temporarily relocated to a 900 sq ft apartment, with all the stuff from our 2700 sq ft house (minus a MASSIVE amount of stuff donated to Hospice, Goodwill, etc and another MASSIVE amount of stuff thrown away / given away). I love it - everything so close and easy. I never want to live in a big house again.
Old Aug 14th 2017, 6:24 pm
I have a comma problem

We have temporarily relocated to a 900 sq ft apartment, with all the stuff from our 2700 sq ft house (minus a MASSIVE amount of stuff donated to Hospice, Goodwill, etc and another MASSIVE amount of stuff thrown away / given away). I love it - everything so close and easy. I never want to live in a big house again.
Especially since there's only two of you, right?

FWIW, our house (3 bed, 2 bath) is just around 1,100 not including the basement and even with four of is in there it's still big enough. Not that an extra bedroom wouldn't go amiss, or a bigger kitchen, but it does the job. As mentioned, more square feet means more cleaning
Old Aug 14th 2017, 6:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Especially since there's only two of you, right?

FWIW, our house (3 bed, 2 bath) is just around 1,100 not including the basement and even with four of is in there it's still big enough. Not that an extra bedroom wouldn't go amiss, or a bigger kitchen, but it does the job. As mentioned, more square feet means more cleaning
More cleaning, more heating, more cooling, more furnishing, and - the worst of all by far - more space for your partner to buy and stash useless stuff (handbags, shoes, clothes ...). My g/f took over 3 of the four bedroom closets for her 'collections'. She was traumatized by the move (separation anxiety from her 'stuff') and I have no sympathy for her. We are currently surrounded by boxes that I have specifically labeled 'Long Term' meaning, no point opening ...

Further - we now have a better excuse for putting visitors up in hotels. We've always done that as we aren't used to having folk around, but it was rather embarrassing putting visitors in a hotel when we had 2 spare bedrooms sitting there!
Old Aug 14th 2017, 6:41 pm
I have a comma problem

More cleaning, more heating, more cooling, more furnishing, and - the worst of all by far - more space for your partner to buy and stash useless stuff (handbags, shoes, clothes ...). My g/f took over 3 of the four bedroom closets for her 'collections'. She was traumatized by the move (separation anxiety from her 'stuff') and I have no sympathy for her. We are currently surrounded by boxes that I have specifically labeled 'Long Term' meaning, no point opening ...

Further - we now have a better excuse for putting visitors up in hotels. We've always done that as we aren't used to having folk around, but it was rather embarrassing putting visitors in a hotel when we had 2 spare bedrooms sitting there!
It's not my wife who I'm worried about stashing tons of crap, it's my daughter (ties into the bigger kids' bedrooms make more sense argument), plus I have a section of the basement filled with guitars and shit so I can't really say anything myself.
Old Aug 15th 2017, 2:06 am
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

Stuff you can do with LEDs
https://www.instructables.com/id/Mir...ting-Retrofit/
Looks a lot brighter than reality in the pictures.
Old Aug 15th 2017, 2:38 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Big bathrooms are a thing here as well, in new builds anyway. Also 'Parents Retreat' space/room adjoining Master. Sod that, the kids can have a bigger space and the parents can have the living space or perhaps, weird thought I know, the living space could be shared with the whole family!

If I retreat it would be to bed or somewhere far far away where no one could find me, not an odd bit in a corner of the house. And wtf is with designated 'man caves'? Make houses smaller so the garden/yard separates you from hearing your neighbours fart and so you don't need 100 rooms unused inside.
Old Aug 15th 2017, 4:01 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steveq
Stuff you can do with LEDs
https://www.instructables.com/id/Mir...ting-Retrofit/
Looks a lot brighter than reality in the pictures.
I have almost finished wiring ultra-slim LED strip lights under and over our kitchen cabinets. They are plugged into the second socket where the microwave is plugged in in the cupboard over the cooker. Most of the wires are connected in a low profile junction box on top of the cabinets, and operated by a double switch (one for the overs and one for the unders), tucked under the cabinets in the corner next to the fridge.

It took a total of 11 units, mostly each 18" long, one was 24", and one was 12", but all of them combined draw.less than 50w.
Old Aug 15th 2017, 4:03 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Can not help but think that threads like this epitomise what BE is all about.
Old Aug 15th 2017, 4:20 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Can not help but think that threads like this epitomise what BE is all about.
Sharing bright ideas?
Old Aug 15th 2017, 11:47 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Sharing bright ideas?
Dad joke of the year.
Old Aug 15th 2017, 12:37 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I find the thread enlightening.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.