Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Thousands of light bulbs.

Thousands of light bulbs.

Old Aug 14th 2017, 1:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thousands of light bulbs.

This thread actually spurred me on to take the free LEDs and replace some in the house we bought. The rooms are so much brighter now. Happy with the 2 minutes spent and $0.
Old Aug 14th 2017, 1:12 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AhCrap
I really don't know why people struggle with this. It isn't hard. . .
So your solution is largely to restrict yourself to only the current equivalents of the range of incandescent bulbs available 30 years ago, which really isn't much of a solution.

Given the size, shape and usage of the rooms in our home, not to mention the diverse range of light fittings each with requirements for bulb shape and connection type, and our preference for degrees of brightness and colour hue in each room, it is inevitable that there will be many different bulbs in our home.
Old Aug 14th 2017, 1:55 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Well that was disappointing, I thought this was going to be a thread about some impressive Christmas display or something ...

Anyway, if you don't like using the energy saving ones (the coily flourescent jobs) that have been around for ages, the halogen ones are pretty decent. The ones I got had a wattage equivalent on the box, so when I bung in a '40W' one, it does what I expect it to do. They last a good bit longer than tungsten filament bulbs as well and it has the benefit of making sure there's more tungsten available to make darts with, which is obviously much more important.
Old Aug 14th 2017, 3:08 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
However, I recently installed a 12-bulb fixture in my bathroom and it would have cost more for the bulbs than for the fixture to install LEDs, so I bought incandescents for it.
TWELVE bulbs in one fixture? How big is your bathroom????

Last edited by lizzyq; Aug 14th 2017 at 3:11 pm.
Old Aug 14th 2017, 3:10 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lizzyq
It's probably above a massive double vanity, but yeah, that's impressive
Old Aug 14th 2017, 3:13 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
It's probably above a massive double vanity, but yeah, that's impressive
A massive double vanity is probably bigger than our bathroom
Old Aug 14th 2017, 3:14 pm
I have a comma problem

A massive double vanity is probably bigger than our bathroom
If it's any consolation, we have tiny bathrooms (but we do have two ). Exactly as wide as a bath and just long enough to squeeze in a bog and single vanity along the longest wall.

But how much room do you need to shit, shower and shave anyway? Bigger bathrooms mean more floors to sweep.
Old Aug 14th 2017, 3:18 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

It might not be that big - it could just be one of those "dressing room light bars", and with a double wash basin counter top, it could easily have twelve light bulbs.

One like this, or even one over each wash basin.

Spoiler:

We have lights like this in one of our bathrooms and I think there are more than a dozen bulbs. The old incandescent bulbs used to throw off an absurd amount of heat, which was aggravating in the summer, and the switch to glass sphere CFLs was a welcome upgrade.

When more than a couple have failed in our master bathroom we will likely upgrade again, to LEDs, but as Steerpike said, it will be a substantial investment, over $100 at current prices, to switch to LEDs. The old CFLs we will add to the storage baskets and use in other bathrooms until

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 14th 2017 at 3:20 pm.
Old Aug 14th 2017, 3:23 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

Originally Posted by Pulaski
It might not be that big - it could just be one of those "dressing room light bars", and with a double wash basin counter top, it could easily have twelve light bulbs.

I'm sorry those are just so ugly I couldn't even consider them for our house.
Old Aug 14th 2017, 3:26 pm

If it's any consolation, we have tiny bathrooms (but we do have two ....). Exactly as wide as a bath and just long enough to squeeze in a bog and single vanity along the longest wall.

But how much room do you need to shit, shower, and shave anyway? Bigger bathrooms mean more floors to sweep.
FWIW our master bathroom is a ridiculous nearly-square shape and so about 25% of it is completely useless. From the doorway, the left side has a double vanity, and behind a privacy wall the toilet, and then on the right side, opposite the vanity unit is the bath, and opposite the toilet is the shower. .... However there is a gap of at least two feet and arguably three, up the middle between the things to the left and the things to the right, which, unless we took to throwing parties in the bathroom, is utterly wasted.
Old Aug 14th 2017, 3:32 pm
I have a comma problem

FWIW our master bathroom is a ridiculous nearly-square shape and so about 25% of it is completely useless. From the doorway, the left side has a double vanity, and behind a privacy wall the toilet, and then on the right side, opposite the vanity unit is the bath, and opposite the toilet is the shower. .... However there is a gap of at least two feet and arguably three, up the middle between the things to the left and the things to the right, which, unless we took to throwing parties in the bathroom, is utterly wasted.
A bathroom doesn't have to be that big to get into the realm of wasted space that could be better served as space used for extra storage or something.
Old Aug 14th 2017, 3:45 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Our bathroom is idiotically small and has no storage, a tiny sink, toilet, and bath tub/shower, one person can fit in the bathroom at one time. 3 small LED pot lights in the ceiling.

I don't need a huge bathroom, but I do like a bathroom to have some storage or at least space to place a small bathroom storage cabinet of some sort.

I imagine some people have master bedrooms bigger then our entire apartment ... ha ha...
Old Aug 14th 2017, 3:52 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

My plan is to replace room-by-room with LEDs, as existing bulbs fail (already replaced all filament-type, which are difficult to find in UK anyway, and rightly so). Brightness is easy (like-for-like where existing light levels are what I want), but I must say I'm not sure about temperature.

What I'm not convinced about is the touted longevity of LEDs (greater that I'm likely to enjoy, allegedly). Still, I don't mind paying a (substantial) premium for reduced power consumption.
Old Aug 14th 2017, 4:06 pm

Once the lights are turned on you don't really notice it, because it is too bright to look at!
Old Aug 14th 2017, 4:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

We have lights like this in one of our bathrooms and I think there are more than a dozen bulbs. The old incandescent bulbs used to throw off an absurd amount of heat, which was aggravating in the summer, and the switch to glass sphere CFLs was a welcome upgrade.

When more than a couple have failed in our master bathroom we will likely upgrade again, to LEDs, but as Steerpike said, it will be a substantial investment, over $100 at current prices, to switch to LEDs. The old CFLs we will add to the storage baskets and use in other bathrooms until
That was our setup exactly - 2 x 6 bulb ugly fixtures. Note, I did find that you can get a 6-pack or more of LED bulbs on Amazon for very little but they aren't the 'globe' type - you'll probably still have to pay big $ for those. Non-dimmable too at the lower price point, but I think dimming is a fad that has gone.

I agree; I was actually replacing them as part of the 'prepare house for sale' project (they came with the house). Since I wasn't remodeling, I had to fit the new fixture with an identical 'form factor', and given that the wall was all messed up behind the one I removed (and I didn't have time to refinish), I found an identically sized pair, like this: (this link is for a 4-light unit, but I got 2 6-light units)

Progress Lighting Alabaster Glass 4-Light Antique Bronze Vanity Light-P2104-20 - The Home Depot

A bathroom doesn't have to be that big to get into the realm of wasted space that could be better served as space used for extra storage or something.
In looking around at new(er) homes, it seems the trend towards massive bathrooms and bedrooms is still in play. I saw a house last week that had a giant tub in the middle of the bathroom (totally impractical in my mind as water will splash everywhere), with two full sink/counter arrangements on either side of the room. The shower was also stupidly large with multiple 'heads'. Then there were two walk-in closets (just for the master suite) - his n hers. Then the f-ing master bedroom was massive, with room for huge armchairs in addition to the bed. I just can't see the point of dedicating all that room to bed/bath activities; I'd rather have more room elsewhere, or - not at all (less to clean). We are downsizing from 2700 sq ft to hopefully 1800-2200 sq ft.

PS the place we sold had a giant jacuzzi tub ... used once in 22 years!

Last edited by Steerpike; Aug 14th 2017 at 4:14 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.