Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Thoughts on deportation in the news

Thoughts on deportation in the news

Old Feb 8th 2018, 5:15 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thoughts on deportation in the news

Quite a few stories about people who have lived here for 30+ years or what not, now finding they're being deported.

What's usually most vile are the comments posted on those stories from various people, or the folks who say how one should have applied for citizenship years ago, without realising that it often isn't even a option.
Old Feb 8th 2018, 5:47 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Quite a few stories about people who have lived here for 30+ years or what not, now finding they're being deported.

What's usually most vile are the comments posted on those stories from various people, or the folks who say how one should have applied for citizenship years ago, without realising that it often isn't even a option.
If you've lived in a country of which you are not a citizen for 30 years I'd be interested to know why you think acquiring citizenship 'often isn't even an option'.
Old Feb 8th 2018, 5:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

I became a USC 3 years, 2 months after arriving. My reason being was that I found out in that short a time that made up charges can be made against you easily by corrupt small town Police. Who would have thought filing a credit card dispute could lead to felony charges? Certainly not me. Some places in the US really are like the Dukes of Hazard. I convinced several co-workers to become USCs, some had been here for almost 20 years as LPRs.
Old Feb 8th 2018, 6:10 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
If you've lived in a country of which you are not a citizen for 30 years I'd be interested to know why you think acquiring citizenship 'often isn't even an option'.
Perhaps if you'd have to give up another citizenship that you hold. I guess the problem would be if you intended to return "home" there one day, and wouldn't be able to if you had surrendered your nationality.
Old Feb 8th 2018, 6:17 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bob

The last amnesty was c20 years ago.
Old Feb 8th 2018, 6:44 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Perhaps if you'd have to give up another citizenship that you hold. I guess the problem would be if you intended to return "home" there one day, and wouldn't be able to if you had surrendered your nationality.
That doesn't mean it's not an option; only that you had a choice to make. It also means you can't complain about being sent back.
Old Feb 8th 2018, 6:47 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

That doesn't mean it's not an option; only that you had a choice to make. It also means you can't complain about being sent back.
Agreed × 3.
Originally Posted by Boiler
The last amnesty was c20 years ago.
32 years ago - 1986. .... It couldn't have been less than 30 years ago as it was Pres. Reagan that signed it.

Last edited by Pulaski; Feb 8th 2018 at 6:51 pm.
Old Feb 8th 2018, 7:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Some people also just have an mental attachment to their passport of their home country. My friends mum in her 80's still would not give up her German passport. She has been here for 50+ years. People seem quite passionate about the color of their passport for some reason.

Last edited by mrken30; Feb 8th 2018 at 7:25 pm.
Old Feb 8th 2018, 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by mrken30
Some people also just have an mental attachment to their passport of their home country. My friends mum in her 80's still would not give up her German passport. She has been here for 50+ years.
As per BiP above, not wanting to give up their passport is a choice and just because they don't want to do it doesn't mean it "isn't an option".
Old Feb 8th 2018, 7:48 pm

Some people also just have an mental attachment to their passport of their home country. My friends mum in her 80's still would not give up her German passport. She has been here for 50+ years. People seem quite passionate about the color of their passport for some reason.
As per BiP above, not wanting to give up their passport is a choice and just because they don't want to do it doesn't mean it "isn't an option".
Germany does permit you to have both but you need to apply for permission from the German government beforehand. Not a showstopper.

Bundesverwaltungsamt - Retaining German citizenship
Old Feb 8th 2018, 9:51 pm

Germany does permit you to have both but you need to apply for permission from the German government beforehand. Not a showstopper. ....
Was it always that way? I thought it was a relatively recent innovation.
Old Feb 8th 2018, 9:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The article says 2007
Old Feb 8th 2018, 10:49 pm

You piqued my interest so I checked - it's been part of German nationality law since 1914, Section 25(2) of the Reichs- und Staatsangehörigkeitsgesetz vom 22. Juli 1913 to be precise. It was actually easier to retain before 2000 as only those habitual residence was outside Germany would automatically lose.

The article says 2007
The 2007 date refers to the exception made for those acquiring another EU/Swiss citizenship and vice versa.

Last edited by BritInParis; Feb 8th 2018 at 10:53 pm.
Old Feb 9th 2018, 1:50 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Agreed × 3.

32 years ago - 1986. .... It couldn't have been less than 30 years ago as it was Pres. Reagan that signed it.
Green Card through LIFE Act (245(i) Adjustment)
The Legal Immigration Family Equity (LIFE) Act and LIFE Act Amendments of 2000 (Pub. L. 106-553 and -554) enable certain individuals who are present in the United States who would not normally qualify to apply for adjustment of status in the United States to obtain a green card (permanent residence) regardless of:

The manner they entered the United States
Working in the United States without authorization
Failing to continuously maintain lawful status since entry
To qualify for this provision, you must be the beneficiary of a labor certification application (Form ETA 750) or immigrant visa petition (Forms I-130, Petition for Alien Relative or I-140, Immigrant Petition for Alien Worker) filed on or before April 30, 2001. In most cases, you must pay an additional $1,000 fee and complete Supplement A to Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, to apply under Section 245(i) provisions with your adjustment of status application (Form I-485).