Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Thomas the Tank Engine is EVIL (apparently)

Thomas the Tank Engine is EVIL (apparently)

Old Jul 24th 2014, 3:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thomas the Tank Engine is EVIL (apparently)

Originally Posted by kimilseung
Well I hardly even read the original article to be honest, having seen others and guessing what the issues are from seeing loads of episodes with my daughter. But isnt the issue more about being aware what you are exposing your kids to (rather than anyone being offended), just like salty and sugary snacks. Most parents dont just let their kids eat whatever they want, neither do they forbid crap completely. They know how much crap they allow their kids. TV should be the same. Although to me it seems clear that Thomas has issues (The debate being does it matter) and as I have said earlier you have to be media illiterate not to see that. To me Thomas in isolation is not a problem, but it would be a problem if that was the only world view a child was exposed to. Parents who have an awareness of what their kids get exposed to on TV, kids friends, kids friends parents, grandparents, all of those places, those parents are in a better position to give balance. I wouldn't limit Thomas. But we have put limits on Disney and Nickelodeon crap that our daughter likes to watch on Netflix, you can almost see it happen before your eyes, the sponginess of kids brains, they just suck in what they are exposed to, that's a kids job when growing up to suck in the world around them.
Yes that's how I see it, too. Have an awareness.
Old Jul 24th 2014, 3:41 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Well I hardly even read the original article to be honest, having seen others and guessing what the issues are from seeing loads of episodes with my daughter. But isnt the issue more about being aware what you are exposing your kids to (rather than anyone being offended), just like salty and sugary snacks. Most parents dont just let their kids eat whatever they want, neither do they forbid crap completely. They know how much crap they allow their kids. TV should be the same. Although to me it seems clear that Thomas has issues (The debate being does it matter) and as I have said earlier you have to be media illiterate not to see that. To me Thomas in isolation is not a problem, but it would be a problem if that was the only world view a child was exposed to. Parents who have an awareness of what their kids get exposed to on TV, kids friends, kids friends parents, grandparents, all of those places, those parents are in a better position to give balance. I wouldn't limit Thomas. But we have put limits on Disney and Nickelodeon crap that our daughter likes to watch on Netflix, you can almost see it happen before your eyes, the sponginess of kids brains, they just suck in what they are exposed to, that's a kids job when growing up to suck in the world around them.
It's all a bunch of fuss over nothing, really. How many people even really watch that show anymore? I don't imagine enough for it to be earth shattering.

It still falls into 'who cares' territory for me. We all know there's a vast range of angles being presented on TV, it is what it is. Watch it, or don't, just shut up about it
Old Jul 24th 2014, 3:43 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
just shut up about it
After >22k posts I had you down for someone who likes to natter about stuff.
Old Jul 24th 2014, 3:45 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

After >22k posts I had you down for someone who likes to natter about stuff.
You know what I meant. It's the whole "Look at me, I'm opposed to this kind of thing, aren't I wonderful" attitude (presented in the article, not by anyone posting here) that I was referring to.
Old Jul 24th 2014, 3:50 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chapmandan
That said, i did watch a Thomas episode recently where they bricked an engine up in a tunnel for being naughty which struck me as a bit harsh!
Tempting though: "Behave yourself or we'll brick up the door to your room!"
Old Jul 24th 2014, 3:58 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by lizzyq
Tempting though: "Behave yourself or we'll brick up the door to your room!"
You see - we can learn valuable information from these shows
Old Jul 24th 2014, 4:29 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I do read the Guardian web site quite a bit, the other broad sheets limit you.

I fear it may be having an effect on me, what can I do?

(If you look at the comments for this article even the Guardianistas realise she is completely bat crap crazy)
Old Jul 24th 2014, 4:32 pm
Account Closed

Uncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond repute

Like most expats i would much rather my kids be glued to Barney and friends and walk around with stupid cheesy grins on their faces all day
Old Jul 24th 2014, 4:35 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Uncle_Bob
Like most expats i would much rather my kids be glued to Barney and friends and walk around with stupid cheesy grins on their faces all day
College age?

Come to Colorado...
Old Jul 24th 2014, 4:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Well, my kids will continue watching it and I'm sure they won't be horrendously mind warped by the whole thing. Though Chuggington is more their thing, probably because it's accessible on the Roku thing whereas TtTE is not.
Old Jul 24th 2014, 4:55 pm
I have a comma problem

My son used to watch it, I don't think he even paid attention to what was being said anyway because he was always building things with his Lego when the TV was on. I think I was OK for allowing that. Then again, I also let him play Grand Theft Auto on his PS3. I'm such a bad parent

Of course, all my daughter watches these days is Tom and Jerry, and we all know they were the last bastion of PC entertainment in the 1940s
Old Jul 24th 2014, 5:01 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
My son used to watch it, I don't think he even paid attention to what was being said anyway because he was always building things with his Lego when the TV was on. I think I was OK for allowing that. Then again, I also let him play Grand Theft Auto on his PS3. I'm such a bad parent

Of course, all my daughter watches these days is Tom and Jerry, and we all know they were the last bastion of PC entertainment in the 1940s
I have much less problem with violence than gender roles. Violence is easier to counter act as it is pointed out over and over that they should not hit, by everyone, I don't know anyone that encourages violence as a solution, on the personal level. Its hardly an issue. But the gender roles, even in this changed world is still a battle. Thank god for Xena and Buffy.
Old Jul 24th 2014, 5:12 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

I have much less problem with violence than gender roles. Violence is easier to counter act as it is pointed out over and over that they should not hit, by everyone, I don't know anyone that encourages violence as a solution, on the personal level. Its hardly an issue. But the gender roles, even in this changed world is still a battle. Thank god for Xena and Buffy.
The gender role thing is significant. I don't think I was as adversely affected by television as I was by my own mother who grew up in the whole Doris Day delusion. Be pretty and get a man and everything will be okay because men are so smart and good and they'll take care of everything because they're just so much better at it. What's odd is that this clearly wasn't the case in her own life, yet she held onto those attitudes. It's damaging.

On the television issue, I think it's getting worse with the sexualization of little girls and the whole Kardashian lunacy.
Old Jul 24th 2014, 5:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I'm like that too. I let mine play violent videogames as kids.

I think we have a slight misunderstanding in the thread. It is not 'Watching X programme didn't hurt me'. More 'Could we make X programme more inclusive?' That can still be fun (and profitable). Lara Croft and the Prince of Persia kick ass (although they made him white in the film version).
Old Jul 24th 2014, 5:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Leslie
The gender role thing is significant. I don't think I was as adversely affected by television as I was by my own mother who grew up in the whole Doris Day delusion. Be pretty and get a man and everything will be okay because men are so smart and good and they'll take care of everything because they're just so much better at it. What's odd is that this clearly wasn't the case in her own life, yet she held onto those attitudes. It's damaging.

On the television issue, I think it's getting worse with the sexualization of little girls and the whole Kardashian lunacy.
Oh God absolutely.

If only mine had washed that man right out of her hair.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.