Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Thinking about selling our US house because of #trumpland - anyone else?

Thinking about selling our US house because of #trumpland - anyone else?

Old Feb 16th 2017, 9:30 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking about selling our US house because of #trumpland - anyone else?

I'm still waiting for my ****ing pint, Boiler.
Old Feb 16th 2017, 9:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond reputejohnwoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking about selling our US house because of #trumpland - anyone else?

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Voting in either state is largely irrelevant given that neither are swing states.

I suspect that if the US was to switch to a "popular vote" electoral system, (i) the overall voter turnout would rise, and that (ii) we'd find that there are a lot more Republicans in California, the PNW, Illinois, and New England, and a lot more Democrats in the SE and the heartland.
If more people voted that would be a good thing.
If the Election of POTUS was decided by the actual number of votes cast, there would be no swing States, all votes would count equally.
Old Feb 17th 2017, 10:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnwoo
No one did argue that state borders are gerrymandered, lol all you want, but don't do a Trump and misrepresent what I said.
One did argue that the House districts are unquestionably gerrymandered, and makes a joke of the belief we have a democratic elected HoR.
I do argue that the electoral college vote doesn't represent the actual votes cast for the President, since the numbers are skewed in favour of the smaller States.
I am fairly sure those commenting about Trump not wining the popular vote, wouldn't be if Clinton had won with the electoral college and not the popular vote.

While perhaps not a pure democracy , the checks and balances in the US system, including the electoral college, do seem to keep things in balance- maybe too much as it can preclude substantive change. Look at recent weeks, between the courts, the congress. My prediction is the Congress will end up obstructionist to Trump as they were to Obama, though maybe less. On the other hand the mainstream media is seems fairly determined to make governing as difficult as possible for Trump.
Old Feb 17th 2017, 1:31 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by morpeth
I am fairly sure those commenting about Trump not wining the popular vote, wouldn't be if Clinton had won with the electoral college and not the popular vote.

While perhaps not a pure democracy , the checks and balances in the US system, including the electoral college, do seem to keep things in balance- maybe too much as it can preclude substantive change. Look at recent weeks, between the courts, the congress. My prediction is the Congress will end up obstructionist to Trump as they were to Obama, though maybe less. On the other hand the mainstream media is seems fairly determined to make governing as difficult as possible for Trump.
You can be as fairly sure about things that didn't happen as you like. I can be absolutely sure that anyone who voted for that piece of shit is a cnut.
Old Feb 17th 2017, 1:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
You can be as fairly sure about things that didn't happen as you like. I can be absolutely sure that anyone who voted for that piece of shit is a cnut.
Some may say "deplorable"
Old Feb 17th 2017, 1:50 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by tom169
Some may say "deplorable"
Yeah, but that's not quite strong enough for the kind of dank shitpost I was aiming for.
Old Feb 17th 2017, 2:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute

It seems much more likely that the upset about Trump winning the presidency but not the popular vote would have died down by now if he himself hadn't kept insisting that illegal voting means he actually won the popular vote, despite having no evidence.
While perhaps not a pure democracy , the checks and balances in the US system, including the electoral college, do seem to keep things in balance- maybe too much as it can preclude substantive change. Look at recent weeks, between the courts, the congress. My prediction is the Congress will end up obstructionist to Trump as they were to Obama, though maybe less.
We will see. The Republican Congress reaction to Flynn's illegal indiscretions seems to be mixed, with some calls for a full investigation and some calls to investigate the leaks that demonstrated him breaking the law instead. Which of these attitudes will dominate in their attitude to Trump in future is not yet clear.
On the other hand the mainstream media is seems fairly determined to make governing as difficult as possible for Trump.
Is this a surprise? The highest priority of Trump and most of his spokespeople seems to be attacking the integrity of all of the mainstream media, instead of running the country.
Old Feb 17th 2017, 4:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

On the other hand the mainstream media is seems fairly determined to make governing as difficult as possible for Trump.
There's only one person making "governing difficult" and that's Trump himself.

Last edited by Giantaxe; Feb 17th 2017 at 4:45 pm.
Old Feb 17th 2017, 4:34 pm
Forum Regular

Mark callaway has a reputation beyond reputeMark callaway has a reputation beyond reputeMark callaway has a reputation beyond reputeMark callaway has a reputation beyond reputeMark callaway has a reputation beyond reputeMark callaway has a reputation beyond reputeMark callaway has a reputation beyond reputeMark callaway has a reputation beyond reputeMark callaway has a reputation beyond reputeMark callaway has a reputation beyond reputeMark callaway has a reputation beyond repute

If you are a left wing or communist or a terrorist or illegal immigrant then run away if not then don't, I don't know why so many people are freaking out from Trump
Old Feb 17th 2017, 4:36 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I see a lot of people are seeking refuge in Canada.
Old Feb 17th 2017, 4:37 pm
Account Closed

I'm still waiting for my ****ing pint, Boiler.
Where were you? I waited.
Old Feb 17th 2017, 4:40 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by Mark callaway
If you are a left wing or communist or a terrorist or illegal immigrant then run away if not then don't, I don't know why so many people are freaking out from Trump
I wish all the right wing conservatives would run away. To Pripyat, preferably.

Originally Posted by Boiler
Where were you? I waited.
Wrong pub, probably.
Old Feb 17th 2017, 4:42 pm
Account Closed

Wrong pub, probably.
Ask for Megan, she knows there is one behind the bar for you.
Old Feb 17th 2017, 4:44 pm
I have a comma problem

Ask for Megan, she knows there is one behind the bar for you.
Mmmm, day old stout ...
Old Feb 17th 2017, 4:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

I see a lot of people are seeking refuge in Canada.
No worries, Trump is sending in the National Guard.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...national-guard

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.