Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Thinking about selling our US house because of #trumpland - anyone else?

Thinking about selling our US house because of #trumpland - anyone else?

Old Feb 10th 2017, 9:05 pm
Forum Regular

JinxyCat has a reputation beyond reputeJinxyCat has a reputation beyond reputeJinxyCat has a reputation beyond reputeJinxyCat has a reputation beyond reputeJinxyCat has a reputation beyond reputeJinxyCat has a reputation beyond reputeJinxyCat has a reputation beyond reputeJinxyCat has a reputation beyond reputeJinxyCat has a reputation beyond reputeJinxyCat has a reputation beyond reputeJinxyCat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Thinking about selling our US house because of #trumpland - anyone else?

So, just curious if anyone else is feeling like I am and is tempted to sell their US property?

I'm feeling anxious that Trump's next foray will target legal immigrants owning property and will enforce 'buy-backs' of foreign owned residential property (and not necessarily at market rate).

We only own one property, the one we live in, and I would really like to be reassured that I'm being paranoid....

Guess I'm looking at Nazi germany's actions and thinking Trump is on that path...
Old Feb 10th 2017, 9:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking about selling our US house because of #trumpland - anyone else?

Originally Posted by JinxyCat
We only own one property, the one we live in, and I would really like to be reassured that I'm being paranoid....
You're being paranoid.
Old Feb 10th 2017, 9:32 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking about selling our US house because of #trumpland - anyone else?

.... Guess I'm looking at Nazi germany's actions and thinking Trump is on that path...
If you're not paranoid, you're barking mad!
Old Feb 10th 2017, 9:33 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

You're barking mad and paranoid.
Old Feb 10th 2017, 9:40 pm
Forum Regular

JinxyCat has a reputation beyond reputeJinxyCat has a reputation beyond reputeJinxyCat has a reputation beyond reputeJinxyCat has a reputation beyond reputeJinxyCat has a reputation beyond reputeJinxyCat has a reputation beyond reputeJinxyCat has a reputation beyond reputeJinxyCat has a reputation beyond reputeJinxyCat has a reputation beyond reputeJinxyCat has a reputation beyond reputeJinxyCat has a reputation beyond repute

Well, at least there's consensus ;P
Old Feb 10th 2017, 9:47 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

If you have to sell cheap can I get first refusal.
Old Feb 10th 2017, 9:48 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Well, at least there's consensus ;P
Seriously, you have made the mental leap from:

(i) President Trump tries to introduce a temporary suspension of visas to citizens of countries in a state of civil war and/or without a fully functional government, plus Iran (that the US has had a beef with for almost 40 years).

(ii) President Trump has declared an intention to remove people who did not enter the country legally, or overstayed their visit/ visa, and to take measures to make it harder for them to return.

(iii) President Trump has suggested that it would be better if more products were manufactured in the US

to:
I may be forced to sell my house at below market price, or otherwise have it forceably removed from me by the federal government.

Seriously, how did you make that leap of logic?
Old Feb 11th 2017, 12:40 am
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=JinxyCat;12176693]So, just curious if anyone else is feeling like I am and is tempted to sell their US property?

I'm feeling anxious that Trump's next foray will target legal immigrants owning property and will enforce 'buy-backs' of foreign owned residential property (and not necessarily at market rate).

Guess I'm looking at Nazi germany's actions and thinking Trump is on that path...[/QUOTE]

Seems to me that people with your doomsday outlook don't seem to realize that we have a working Constitution. Trump is going to be stopped dead in his tracks for many actions on his part that violate the Constitution and he's already learning that with the 3-0 decision to uphold the appeal against the travel ban
Old Feb 11th 2017, 12:56 am
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Seriously, you have made the mental leap from:

(i) President Trump tries to introduce a temporary suspension of visas to citizens of countries in a state of civil war and/or without a fully functional government, plus Iran (that the US has had a beef with for almost 40 years).

(ii) President Trump has declared an intention to remove people who did not enter the country legally, or overstayed their visit/ visa, and to take measures to make it harder for them to return.

(iii) President Trump has suggested that it would be better if more products were manufactured in the US

to:
I may be forced to sell my house at below market price, or otherwise have it forceably removed from me by the federal government.

Seriously, how did you make that leap of logic?

Trump should be given an F Minus on foreign policy, a box on the ears and told to go home and redo his homework.

So far his travel ban executive order was nothing but a shambles and a possible violation of the Constitution.

He's made himself look like a chump as regards China

Likewise with Iran

Now there's probably a major crisis on the horizon if it's proved that Flynn informed the Russians that sanctions would be lifted once Trump occupied the WH... this while Obama was still in the WH and worst still Flynn may have lied to VP Pence on the matter placing the VP in a very bad position

Not to forget Kellyanne doing a plug for Ivanka's Nordstrom fashion line which was stupid and out of order,

It's all becoming a three ring circus of which I'm hardly surprised

Last edited by dc koop; Feb 11th 2017 at 12:59 am.
Old Feb 11th 2017, 1:51 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

I must admit that I am feeling more hopeful now after the courts refusing to lift the travel ban.
However, I live in Austin, TX, a very high profile sanctuary city. The state have refused funding to try to force the sheriff to back down on her refusal to illegally detain people. Today, in Austin the ICE came in and made raids all over the city. My neighbour, a local Judge just shook his head and said that the lawyers are going to have a field day.... meaning that the third arm of our constitution will indeed hold strong.
Old Feb 11th 2017, 1:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Let's not forget that most of us on this board who are a British immigrants to the US are enormously privileged compared to most immigrants here. We're native English speakers and we're for the most part of white European descent. There are many RWNJs, especially of the type in the ascendancy in the administration right now, who regard us as pretty much the only acceptable class of immigrant to the US. If they do
start to come for the legal immigrants, all we have to do is keep our mouths shut lest they realize that even the most conservative of us is likely to be a quasi-communist by their standards.
Old Feb 11th 2017, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by rpjs
. If they do start to come for the legal immigrants, all we have to do is keep our mouths shut lest they realize that even the most conservative of us is likely to be a quasi-communist by their standards.
That's not true.
Old Feb 11th 2017, 3:27 pm
Forum Regular

cynthia786 has a reputation beyond reputecynthia786 has a reputation beyond reputecynthia786 has a reputation beyond reputecynthia786 has a reputation beyond reputecynthia786 has a reputation beyond reputecynthia786 has a reputation beyond reputecynthia786 has a reputation beyond reputecynthia786 has a reputation beyond reputecynthia786 has a reputation beyond reputecynthia786 has a reputation beyond reputecynthia786 has a reputation beyond repute

Let's not forget that most of us on this board who are a British immigrants to the US are enormously privileged compared to most immigrants here. We're native English speakers and we're for the most part of white European descent. There are many RWNJs, especially of the type in the ascendancy in the administration right now, who regard us as pretty much the only acceptable class of immigrant to the US. If they do
start to come for the legal immigrants, all we have to do is keep our mouths shut lest they realize that even the most conservative of us is likely to be a quasi-communist by their standards.
I've bolded the above because it seems wrong on so many levels, even though you probably didn't intend for it to read/sound the way it does! I'm not white (I'm here legally and am now a U.S. citizen), but half my family is "white" and I truly believe that they, like I, would never remain silent in the face of blatant bigotry or injustice of any kind!
Old Feb 11th 2017, 3:51 pm
Banned

all we have to do is keep our mouths shut lest they realize that even the most conservative of us is likely to be a quasi-communist by their standards.
Or an undercover fifth columnist Democrat sent from California to spy on Trump Land
Old Feb 11th 2017, 4:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

...lest they realize that even the most conservative of us is likely to be a quasi-communist by their standards.
Hell no.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.