Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Things you like about the US

Things you like about the US

Old Jan 3rd 2017, 3:50 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Things you like about the US

Originally Posted by mrken30
..... Most grocery stores have ATMs and also sell money orders
A money order bought from the Post Office is much cheaper and has a better/cheaper refund process in the event that the money order is lost or stolen.
Old Jan 3rd 2017, 4:00 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't played this one for a while. My house is here, so that's a good (if rather obvious) start.

I like a bunch of things though but I'm so used to it here now that I sometimes have to remind myself I didn't always live here but every now and then people ask me if I'd miss anything if I ever moved back to the UK and the things that come to mind are (in no particular order):

- Thanksgiving dinner
- California
- National Parks
- There are proper mountains here
- Mexican food
- 'Proper' big cities like Chicago, NY etc. I was always fascinated by skyscrapers growing up, Belfast just doesn't cut it on that front
- California again, I like it so much it gets mentioned twice
- The variety of places to visit, from big cities to desert and everything in between

There's probably more but those are the ones that come to mind first.

Originally Posted by Beaverstate
San Diego has the best weather in the US...provided you stay within 15 miles of the Pacific.
I've only been there once, but San Francisco is up there for me. After a week of 105+ in the Central Valley, crossing the Oakland Bay Bridge and feeling the temperature drop to 68 was pure bliss.

I've always liked the idea of visiting San Diego as well though. Coastal California seems to have a climate that would generally agree with me.

Originally Posted by Pulaski
It is pretty much broad daylight by 4am in the UK at that time, and well on the way to daylight by 3.30am - IIRC dawn on 6/21 is around 3.50am. It is possible to sit outside reading until well after 10pm too. I would say that it is only truely "dark" between 11pm and 2.30pm.
That got my wife the first time she came to visit me, which was in late June. The jet lag messing with her sleep was bad enough but sunset at almost 11pm and the sky starting to get light before 4am.

In and around Belfast at least (not sure about London), it doesn't really get properly dark during the summer, nautical twilight lasts from dusk until dawn. I do sometimes miss that out here, where it is dark by 9pm in the summer and it seems to go from dusk to night in a very short time.
Old Jan 3rd 2017, 4:22 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
In and around Belfast at least (not sure about London), it doesn't really get properly dark during the summer, nautical twilight lasts from dusk until dawn. .....
That's almost true for England (Midlands) - it is after 11pm before the last rays of sun disappear from the western skies, and the first signs in the east of the coming dawn aren't long after 1am.
Old Jan 3rd 2017, 4:25 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

That's almost true for England (Midlands) - it is after 11pm before the last rays of sun disappear from the western skies, and the first signs in the east of the coming dawn aren't long after 1am.
The farther north you go, it'll get more noticeable (somewhat obviously, I know). It makes the summer absolutely shite for stargazing, but then again most of the best constellations are in the sky during winter anyway, so it balances out

Of course, at the other end of the scale you get near 9am sunrises and darkness by not long after 4pm in the winter, but I always did like it when the nights got longer anyway.
Old Jan 3rd 2017, 4:35 pm

.... Of course, at the other end of the scale you get near 9am sunrises and darkness by not long after 4pm in the winter, .....
Combine that with all-day fog or banks of cloud, and that at the winter solstice the sun (in London) barely makes it 15° above the horizon, makes for some winter days where it barely seems to get light at all. Also rain and dew doesn't dry for days, and the sun doesn't provide much warmth even if it shines.
Old Jan 3rd 2017, 4:37 pm
I have a comma problem

Combine that with all-day fog or banks of cloud, and that at the winter solstice the sun (in London) barely makes it 15° above the horizon, makes for some winter days where it barely seems to get light at all. Also rain and dew doesn't dry for days, and the sun doesn't provide much warmth even if it shines.
Yeah, around the solstice it can be pretty dreary, but it never lasted long and it was kind of atmospheric.
Old Jan 3rd 2017, 5:24 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah but the fact that the typical temperatures in England just now are forty or fifty degrees (Fahrenheit) higher than in northern New York State make up for short daylight hours & a bit of fog!
Old Jan 3rd 2017, 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by robin1234
Yeah but the fact that the typical temperatures in England just now are forty or fifty degrees (Fahrenheit) higher than in northern New York State make up for short daylight hours & a bit of fog!
But I don't live in northern New York State.
Old Jan 3rd 2017, 5:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't played this one for a while. My house is here, so that's a good (if rather obvious) start.

I like a bunch of things though but I'm so used to it here now that I sometimes have to remind myself I didn't always live here but every now and then people ask me if I'd miss anything if I ever moved back to the UK and the things that come to mind are (in no particular order):

- Thanksgiving dinner
- California
- National Parks
- There are proper mountains here
- Mexican food
- 'Proper' big cities like Chicago, NY etc. I was always fascinated by skyscrapers growing up, Belfast just doesn't cut it on that front
- California again, I like it so much it gets mentioned twice
- The variety of places to visit, from big cities to desert and everything in between

There's probably more but those are the ones that come to mind first.

I've only been there once, but San Francisco is up there for me. After a week of 105+ in the Central Valley, crossing the Oakland Bay Bridge and feeling the temperature drop to 68 was pure bliss.

I've always liked the idea of visiting San Diego as well though. Coastal California seems to have a climate that would generally agree with me.

That got my wife the first time she came to visit me, which was in late June. The jet lag messing with her sleep was bad enough but sunset at almost 11pm and the sky starting to get light before 4am.

In and around Belfast at least (not sure about London), it doesn't really get properly dark during the summer, nautical twilight lasts from dusk until dawn. I do sometimes miss that out here, where it is dark by 9pm in the summer and it seems to go from dusk to night in a very short time.
-Thanksgiving dinners in USA are a great time
- Mountains : quite agree, I lived in north Idaho surrounded by mountains , lakes and tall so tall trees .Telluride in Colorado is stunning.
-Mexican food
- Cities well I prefer Zurich, Paris or Prague to anything US has to offer. Skyscrapers I think Hong Kong is impressive. London in my mind has more to offer overall than any place. But San Francisco is incredibly charming place to visit. Chinatown, Fisherman's Wharf, Irish Coffee at the Cliff House, Mission district. Redwoods and Napa Valley somewhat close drive.
-Backyard BBQ.
Old Jan 3rd 2017, 5:42 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by morpeth
- Cities well I prefer Zurich, Paris or Prague to anything US has to offer. Skyscrapers I think Hong Kong is impressive. London in my mind has more to offer overall than any place. But San Francisco is incredibly charming place to visit. Chinatown, Fisherman's Wharf, Irish Coffee at the Cliff House, Mission district. Redwoods and Napa Valley somewhat close drive.
You have to remember that I have such thriving metropolises such as Belfast and Lisburn to compare with. I've only been to London once and while Dublin and Edinburgh are great, they aren't exactly resplendent with tall buildings.

Whereas, Chicago is a 90 minute train ride away from me any time I care to go there.

-Backyard BBQ.
Always more fun when it's at someone else's house
Old Jan 3rd 2017, 5:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Yogi bear and Jellystone Park
Old Jan 3rd 2017, 6:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

You have to remember that I have such thriving metropolises such as Belfast and Lisburn to compare with. I've only been to London once and while Dublin and Edinburgh are great, they aren't exactly resplendent with tall buildings.

Whereas, Chicago is a 90 minute train ride away from me any time I care to go there.

Always more fun when it's at someone else's house
Got to admit I would visit Sears tower again- except next time go to the bar at the top so less wait in line to regular observation level ( or that is how it was explained to me).

I find the weather in the Midwest atrocious, but early summer or fall in the backyard relaxing even with just the cornfields to look at can be satisfying.
Old Jan 3rd 2017, 6:58 pm
I have a comma problem

Got to admit I would visit Sears tower again- except next time go to the bar at the top so less wait in line to regular observation level ( or that is how it was explained to me).

I find the weather in the Midwest atrocious, but early summer or fall in the backyard relaxing even with just the cornfields to look at can be satisfying.
I've only been to the Sears tower once, I'd go back again so my kids can see it because they weren't with me when I was there, but otherwise I'm not really in a rush.

The weather's not too bad here. We do get four seasons. Sometimes they occur in separate days as well. Autumn is by far my favorite. Always was but I really like it out here.
Old Jan 3rd 2017, 7:09 pm

Got to admit I would visit Sears tower again - except .....
..... that it was renamed a number of years ago.
Old Jan 3rd 2017, 7:10 pm
I have a comma problem

..... that it was renamed a number of years ago.
Yeah but nobody actually calls it the new name unless they're a tourist.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.