Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Things you like about the US

Things you like about the US

Old Jan 1st 2017, 9:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Things you like about the US

[QUOTE=Beaverstate;12140077]San Diego has the best weather in the US...provided you stay within 15 miles of the Pacific.[/QUOTE

How true about the weather there !
Old Jan 1st 2017, 9:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beaverstate
San Diego has the best weather in the US...provided you stay within 15 miles of the Pacific.
Decent coffee ? That is definitely one thing I miss about Europe compared to the US. Cant say I ever had coffee in America that compares to France or Italy.
Maybe just a matter of taste- I like the coffee in Colombia but still prefer how they roast the beans in Italy or France.
Old Jan 1st 2017, 9:49 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Things I like about the US (specifically, California):
  • the weather
  • the price of gas
  • free coffee refills
Old Jan 1st 2017, 9:50 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by morpeth
Decent coffee ? That is definitely one thing I miss about Europe compared to the US. Cant say I ever had coffee in America that compares to France or Italy.
Maybe just a matter of taste- I like the coffee in Colombia but still prefer how they roast the beans in Italy or France.
Well I never mentioned coffee. But if I were to purchase in a grocery store a French Roast bean and grind it down to a Turkish powder, I always get a quite bold and strong cup to my liking.
Old Jan 1st 2017, 10:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by md95065
Things I like about the US (specifically, California):
  • the weather
  • the price of gas
  • free coffee refills
Quite agree about price of gas and the coffee refills, and automatically getting a glass of water.

The weather in northern California can be superb, though I missed the four seasons. Twice I stayed near Carmel, and while I prefer many parts of Europe over California, the weather and area was very very nice. Pebble Beach seemed a very nice area to live or retire in.

What is Santa Cruz like these days ? Last time I went it seemed kind of run down and quite dirty near the beach ( but that was back in the 90's).
Old Jan 1st 2017, 4:25 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Oregon and NJ specific. You don't have to get out of your car in the cold and wet to pump your own gas.
Old Jan 1st 2017, 4:36 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
Oregon and NJ specific. You don't have to get out of your car in the cold and wet to pump your own gas.
Ummm...that's anywhere buddy! Don't you know that's why we have husbands
Old Jan 1st 2017, 4:39 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
Ummm...that's anywhere buddy! Don't you know that's why we have husbands. ....
And if you're single, acquiring a husband of your own is now a right in every state.
Old Jan 1st 2017, 4:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
Ummm...that's anywhere buddy! Don't you know that's why we have husbands
Am I mean in that I drive the wife pumps?
Old Jan 1st 2017, 4:46 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
And if you're single, acquiring a husband of your own is now a right in every state.
Too true.... (says the woman that usually fills up the truck during her busy lunchtime chore running schedule)

Originally Posted by tom169
Am I mean in that I drive the wife pumps?

Yes, because I think the driver is the responsible party. You drive,you fill up
Old Jan 1st 2017, 4:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Twinkle0927
I can't understand why anyone would buy a ticket originating in the U.K. Before emigrating, I visited The Husband numerous times. If I couldn't get a staff ticket I would always go from Dublin, Oslo, Copenhagen or Stockholm and use air miles or easyJet to get to said departure point. My cheapest revenue ticket (not employee discounted) was Copenhagen to Seattle return for £121.52 - unfortunately it was Air Canada but for that price I'll put up with them. United from Oslo to Seattle were a close second at £135 and some change. Over the last 5 years I have never paid more than £280 return from Europe to the west coast.
Insurance coverage may be different in the case of failed airline or death/injury by the airline. I seem to remember this being a problem with the Korean airline accident few years back.
Old Jan 1st 2017, 4:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
You have no choice, it's the law. You have to sit and wait in your car until someone gets to you. You are not allowed to touch the pump under any circumstances, unless you are in a diesel or on a motorcycle. Apparently there are different abilities between car drivers and motorcyclists.
Old Jan 1st 2017, 5:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by username.exe
I'm slowly becoming an Americanophile; I have come to see that our long term future is here and we will probably be here for a very long time if not for the rest of my life.

The little things I enjoy the most:
  • Salsa options
  • Cost of Levis
  • On a webpage, I don't have to scroll all the way down to the 'U' section as United States is always at the top
  • Turn right on a red
  • Dive through ATM's
  • Crushed ice straight from the fridge door
  • Self wash car wash. Hella fun with the kids.
  • Drive-thru everything
  • Sunshine
  • Palms
  • Eight lane freeways are actually exciting to drive on
  • Half and half in my coffee
  • Decent coffee
  • Landscaping/plants/fauana
  • Beaches
  • General positivity/friendliness
There seems to be no place like the US for great roads to drive on. US395, for example, is a joy to be on (Eastern Sierra's, CA). Light traffic, fantastic scenery, 80 mph all the way (barring speed cops). I drove across Nevada a couple of years ago, on 'the loneliest road in America' U.S. Route 50 – America’s Loneliest Road | Unusual Places ... there's something surreal about driving for hours at high speed and hardly seeing any other cars / people. Not everyone's cup of tea but something I love doing.
Old Jan 1st 2017, 6:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by morpeth
What is Santa Cruz like these days ? Last time I went it seemed kind of run down and quite dirty near the beach ( but that was back in the 90's).
Santa Cruz hasn't changed much - it is fundamentally a small beach town that has a university and a seasonal tourist trade and acts as a dormitory suburb for people working "over the hill" in Silicon Valley.

The town as a whole isn't "run down" but the Beach Flats area close to the beach and the boardwalk has, historically, been a very run down neighborhood with a high crime rate including drug dealing, prostitution and gang violence. This is, supposedly, now starting to improve although progress is slow.
Old Jan 1st 2017, 8:34 pm
BE Practitioner (Level 2)

username.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
There seems to be no place like the US for great roads to drive on. US395, for example, is a joy to be on (Eastern Sierra's, CA). Light traffic, fantastic scenery, 80 mph all the way (barring speed cops). I drove across Nevada a couple of years ago, on 'the loneliest road in America' U.S. Route 50 – America’s Loneliest Road | Unusual Places ... there's something surreal about driving for hours at high speed and hardly seeing any other cars / people. Not everyone's cup of tea but something I love doing.
I have done a few roads like this in AZ and I love it too. Just can't sjake the paranoia of breaking down in the middle of nowhere, though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.