Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Things you like about the US

Things you like about the US

Old Sep 17th 2017, 5:52 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Things you like about the US

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Maybe.

BTW Per my question in #333 above: the Chinese eat chicken feet for the calcium because they have no history of eating dairy foods, which is where Americans, Britons, and Europeans get their calcium.
Well, they eat everything, don't they?

https://goo.gl/images/JKrvcH
Old Sep 17th 2017, 6:32 pm
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Well, they eat everything, don't they?

https://goo.gl/images/JKrvcH
I heard that, but then 10 years ago i bought a chunk of the china state dairy... Turns out they arent all intolerant, and there are now products safe for intolerance sufferers too. Thing that persuaded me, think about 300 million people who only know about 3 cheeses and many have only ever had UHT milk, no french british italian or swiss cheeses... 1 pound in the initial float is now worth about 150 pounds, and the growth potential is still huge.
Old Sep 17th 2017, 6:38 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by uk_grenada
I heard that, but then 10 years ago i bought a chunk of the china state dairy... Turns out they arent all intolerant, and there are now products safe for intolerance sufferers too. Thing that persuaded me, think about 300 million people who only know about 3 cheeses and many have only ever had UHT milk, no french british italian or swiss cheeses... 1 pound in the initial float is now worth about 150 pounds, and the growth potential is still huge.
Good investment ! How much of the entity is foreign owned or is it a sub of the state entity?
Old Sep 17th 2017, 6:49 pm
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

Good investment ! How much of the entity is foreign owned or is it a sub of the state entity?
The state entity was sold off, mostly chinese shareholders, in the initial tranche you werent allowed to buy more than about 5000 dollars worth - but like most of these things it wasnt particularly well publicised abroad, and as soon as the value rose, local people sold and people like me - though a lot in china - increased holdings. I believe someone owns about 20% now.

If a foreign investor got close to any form of control they would do something about it, it isnt a monopoly but in some areas it might as well be one.
Old Sep 17th 2017, 6:56 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by uk_grenada
The state entity was sold off, mostly chinese shareholders, in the initial tranche you werent allowed to buy more than about 5000 dollars worth - but like most of these things it wasnt particularly well publicised abroad, and as soon as the value rose, local people sold and people like me - though a lot in china - increased holdings. I believe someone owns about 20% now.

If a foreign investor got close to any form of control they would do something about it, it isnt a monopoly but in some areas it might as well be one.
Interesting. Nothing wrong with UHT milk by the way.
Old Sep 18th 2017, 1:34 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
The kitchen appliances were included in the price...so yes if I'm buying it I am entitled to check that it is presentable and in working order. How else do you check that a freezer is working?
Right. If the appliances are part of the sale, the last thing you want to do when you move in is open the fridge and be greeted with a big pile of rotten meat or something

We only found batteries in the freezer when we were looking at the house we bought

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Maybe.

BTW Per my question in #333 above: the Chinese eat chicken feet for the calcium because they have no history of eating dairy foods, which is where Americans, Britons, and Europeans get their calcium.
That'll explain the distinct lack of cheese in Chinese food ...

Interesting. Nothing wrong with UHT milk by the way.
Reminds me of Father Ted when Dougal became the milkman.

"Remember Father, milk goes off. Except for UHT, but nobody buys that because it's shite."
Old Sep 20th 2017, 6:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jellybean_17
That is something I will never understand There's a huge amazing world out there, so diverse from the US, why do people not want to go experience it? The US has some fantastic places, I won't deny that, but there's so much more to see and do!
I do agree that it would be good if Americans traveled overseas more but in their defense, one has to admit, the 'necessity' to travel oversees simply isn't there as much as it is in the UK. If you are in the UK and want to ski, you have to go to Italy/France/Austria. In the US, you go to Colorado, Tahoe, Vermont, etc. If you are in the UK and want to lie on a warm, sunny beach, you go to Spain/Greece/etc. In the US, you go to Hawaii or Florida. If you want to go hiking in tall mountains in UK, you have to go the 'Alps' or similar, while in the US you can go to California, Colorado, and other places. If you want to experience hot, desert conditions in the UK, you would have to go to North Africa, or the Middle East, while in the US you can head to Death Valley or parts of AZ.

Unfortunately, most people don't travel so they can experience different cultures, they travel to experience a specific condition, with the 'culture' being a (very beneficial) side effect.
Old Sep 20th 2017, 2:15 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I do agree that it would be good if Americans traveled overseas more but in their defense, one has to admit, the 'necessity' to travel oversees simply isn't there as much as it is in the UK. If you are in the UK and want to ski, you have to go to Italy/France/Austria. In the US, you go to Colorado, Tahoe, Vermont, etc. If you are in the UK and want to lie on a warm, sunny beach, you go to Spain/Greece/etc. In the US, you go to Hawaii or Florida. If you want to go hiking in tall mountains in UK, you have to go the 'Alps' or similar, while in the US you can go to California, Colorado, and other places. If you want to experience hot, desert conditions in the UK, you would have to go to North Africa, or the Middle East, while in the US you can head to Death Valley or parts of AZ.

Unfortunately, most people don't travel so they can experience different cultures, they travel to experience a specific condition, with the 'culture' being a (very beneficial) side effect.
Never mind the fact that we get **** all vacation time here anyway no matter where we want to go.

Sometimes it's hard not to just stick with a domestic vacation though. National Parks are dope.
Old Sep 20th 2017, 2:23 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

as someone who lived in SW France, I can definitely say that a lot of visitors might as well have gone to disneyworld for all they knew of the real culture of the place. Sitting in Place du Capitole and eating steak frites with too much red wine does not make you cultured....
Old Sep 20th 2017, 2:51 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise

as someone who lived in SW France, I can definitely say that a lot of visitors might as well have gone to disneyworld for all they knew of the real culture of the place. Sitting in Place du Capitole and eating steak frites with too much red wine does not make you cultured....
Steak frites with just the right amount of red wine can be pleasant though.
Old Sep 20th 2017, 4:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise

Reminds me of a trip I made to Rome, many years ago. I was with my mum. Remarkably, we bumped into a couple at the Colloseum who knew my mum. They said they were in Rome for the weekend only, and asked me if I knew a place where they could find a good pint!
Old Sep 20th 2017, 5:09 pm
I have a comma problem

Reminds me of a trip I made to Rome, many years ago. I was with my mum. Remarkably, we bumped into a couple at the Colloseum who knew my mum. They said they were in Rome for the weekend only, and asked me if I knew a place where they could find a good pint!
I hope you replied with the name of your old local or something.