Term Time Holidays

Old Jan 17th 2014, 1:20 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Term Time Holidays

Originally Posted by dunroving
I suppose it makes sense - if a large proportion of the population has children, they can't all take their holidays at the same time, or the country would grind to a halt! .....
As there are already (in the UK and Europe, at least) all sorts of laws and regulations on paid time off, sick leave, maternity leave, so if there is a problem that needs fixing, and it sounds like there might be, the answer should be that anyone with a school age child should be entitled to take, say, half of their holiday time during school holidays.

The US, on the other hand, is too messed up for such an easy fix!
Old Jan 17th 2014, 3:49 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yukichon
I understand what you are saying, but there is taking advantage of an opportunity and there is also a blatant p take , which in most cases I believe is the case.
Supply and demand, it's done for a reason. One of which is, if the prices were significantly lower the hotels wouldn't be able to cope with the demand thus creating a different problem.
Old Jan 17th 2014, 4:20 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have noticed Tomatoes cost a lot more in the winter than the summer, perhaps they could do something about that at the same time?
Old Jan 17th 2014, 5:20 pm

Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond reputeWeeze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
I think its 3 events..
Days. One of my friends took her kid (elementary) out of school for 3 days to watch their dad compete in a charity iron man event. Now because they have been absent for three days they cannot miss even a day of school without a doctors note. If their child has a fever they are allowed to take the child into school to have the fever verified to prevent a doctors note being needed.
Old Jan 17th 2014, 6:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

No wonder people homeschool, at least then you don't have to worry about silly things like that.
Old Jan 18th 2014, 1:53 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yukichon
The whole problem would be solved if government or some kind of watchdog insisted that the travel companies and airlines didn't have the right to blimmin triple the cost of everything. I understand that it's a business, but our business is quite seasonal but we do not nike the costs up during school holidays.
They can only charge what the market will bear, if the price can triple during certain seasons and people are still there to pay it, the the service is priced correctly.

If you don't want to pay the higher prices during high demand periods, simply don't go on a trip.

Basic supply and demand. Government should not artificially cap prices a company can charge.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Jan 18th 2014 at 1:58 am.
Old Jan 18th 2014, 1:58 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
.... Basic supply and demand. Government should not artificially cap prices a company can charge.
The British government tried that with rents, back in the 60's, I think, or the early 70's. By the late 70's the supply of private rentals had more or less dried up. I can't imagine why?
Old Jan 18th 2014, 2:11 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Those of us without kids, would prefer to know we can vacation without kids. Stick to the school schedule , please.
Old Jan 18th 2014, 2:40 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure I have much sympathy for taking kids out for the average package holiday, but travel can be a lot more than playing in the sea, and can be much more educationally beneficial to time in school.

One issue that I do have is just reinforcing the idea that school matters, that you don't just take time off for a mental health day, and holidays can kind of go against that. I also think that some parents are too selfish to think that it can not only affect their child but the rest of the class, as things lost during week n, can slow down things during week n+10. Especially with so much group work and peer teaching these days.
Old Jan 18th 2014, 5:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
Not sure I have much sympathy for taking kids out for the average package holiday, but travel can be a lot more than playing in the sea, and can be much more educationally beneficial to time in school.
Precisely. We have explicit permission from the school for our trip over to the US next month, partly to scope out where we expect to move to in a few months, meet the team of guys that will be working for me and let the kids see their new school - they've been invited to shadow someone for the day....and then we're off to Florida to spend a week star-gazing in the Florida Keys. We've got geography, history and physics topics all lined up for them to report on when they get back...
Old Jan 18th 2014, 6:14 pm
Account Closed

Would you say that was the norm in these cases?
Old Jan 18th 2014, 7:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Would you say that was the norm in these cases?
IF there is a defined educational content I'd say yes.
Old Jan 18th 2014, 7:10 pm
Account Closed

I meant is that the current situation, was your out of term activities the norm.
Old Jan 18th 2014, 8:03 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steveq
IF there is a defined educational content I'd say yes.
It would even be that hard to get all sorts of educational content in to a beach holiday, if the parents were prepared for a bit of effort.
Old Jan 18th 2014, 8:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

We took the children to Costa Rica a couple of years ago - that was an unbelievably educational holiday.

We're thinking about going to Mexico to stay in a villa or all-inclusive this year - it won't be all that educational but I do plan to visit Mayan ruins, swim in a cenote, take them to some of the small towns, and get them to practice their Spanish as much as possible.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.