Term Time Holidays

Old Jan 16th 2014, 2:13 pm
Forum Regular

Lucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Term Time Holidays

This article is the cause of much debate on my Facebook news feed today:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ay-Greece.html

I personally have little sympathy, as I don't agree with taking children out of school, although I do appreciate that I'm in the fortunate position of being able to afford to take holidays during the school holidays. However, it got me thinking about what the situation will be when we get to California - do people take their children out of school during term time? I'd assume not, given the already very long summer break, but what's the reality?
Old Jan 16th 2014, 2:32 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Term Time Holidays

Originally Posted by Lucybell33

I personally have little sympathy, as I don't agree with taking children out of school, although I do appreciate that I'm in the fortunate position of being able to afford to take holidays during the school holidays. However, it got me thinking about what the situation will be when we get to California - do people take their children out of school during term time? I'd assume not, given the already very long summer break, but what's the reality?
It's about the same as the UK, it happens, but not often. It is certainly frowned upon, and if your child is struggling, extend absence could be part of a scenario that leads to your child being held back a year, which is not as uncommon in the US as you might think.
Old Jan 16th 2014, 2:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lucybell33

When my children were in school in California (many years ago now) we were in a district that did round the year schooling. So we were fortunate in not having the typical school schedule (we were off three months in the year, so it was November, March and August.)

Since term times can be different in the States, it's not as much of a problem, I would believe. And depending on the district, you'll probably find that taking your child out to go on a holiday isn't as strict.
Old Jan 16th 2014, 2:37 pm
Forum Regular

Lucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
It's about the same as the UK, it happens, but not often. It is certainly frowned upon, and if your child is struggling, extend absence could be part of a scenario that leads to your child being held back a year, which is not as uncommon in the US as you might think.
I'll be glad if it's frowned upon. I feel like I'm in the minority here sometimes - and this in a circle that can equally afford school holiday breaks. They seem to feel it's some kind of sport - like because they're not supposed to take their kids out of school, they do so just to show the Head they have no real power to stop them!
Old Jan 16th 2014, 2:42 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
When my children were in school in California (many years ago now) we were in a district that did round the year schooling. So we were fortunate in not having the typical school schedule (we were off three months in the year, so it was November, March and August.)

Since term times can be different in the States, it's not as much of a problem, I would believe. And depending on the district, you'll probably find that taking your child out to go on a holiday isn't as strict.
Ours is strict...3 unexcused and you're up in front of a judge with a $500 fine....
Old Jan 16th 2014, 2:51 pm
The worse half of Weeze

Mr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond reputeMr Weeze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
Ours is strict...3 unexcused and you're up in front of a judge with a $500 fine....
3 days or 3 events?
Old Jan 16th 2014, 3:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

I asked my daughter's teacher when we first arrived and she said 'Oh kids should travel, it's good for them. As long as they're not out for too long and they don't miss anything important then go for it. Have a great time.'

We do occasionally take them out for (say) 3 days before Spring break, partly to save costs and partly because it's easier to travel on quieter days.

They're at the age now though where I wouldn't take them out for more than a few days.

We download their homework and make sure we are up to date on it all before they go back to school.

Just FYI, you may well find that December and April school holidays in the US are not the full two weeks you're used to in the UK, and you won't get a week for half term between September and December. Often the only way to get a two week holiday away is to go in the summer.
Old Jan 16th 2014, 4:19 pm
Account Closed

Uncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond repute

I've got sons in 2nd and 3rd grade. Its none of the schools business why i take my kids out of school. People do it here, all they have to say to the school is they are off for personal reasons and thats it. Trips away can be educational, thats why they have school trips right? Also they let parents home school their kids why get bent out of shape over a few days off? so long as the child is able to keep up and not require any special attention when they return to class.

I've only done it once, I've never done it for financial reasons, I don't need to. If i did i'd feel like i was stealing my childs education to save myself a few bucks.

I've taken them out on a Monday and Tuesday to make a 4 day trip to Disneyland soley for the reason that Monday and Tuesday are the days when the park is less busy. On Monday morning i rode space mountain and when i got off i got right back on with no wait, my sons made me ride it 5 times in a row and i got a headache.

I don't feel bad taking them out for 2 days because my 2nd grader is ahead a year and my 3rd grader makes the honour role. I got their homework which they completed in the hotel after we got back from the park.
Old Jan 16th 2014, 4:44 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

It seems fairly common around here for kids to miss a few days at the beginning or end of the holidays. There are a lot of foreign nationals here, so many people go home to see family, and will take 10 days, as with travel time 7 days isn't enough time.

They do send letters home though if you have more than 3 days off, and say something about the possibility of you being fined.

I do remember my daughter telling me last year, that someone in class missed an important test, because they had to stay home and help clean the house ready for their Grandma visiting
Old Jan 16th 2014, 5:08 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks all for your replies - it's interesting to hear all the different points of view. Much more reasoned than on Facebook!

Glad to hear Mondays and Tuesdays are good for Disneyland, because that's when we'll be there in April!!
Old Jan 16th 2014, 5:58 pm
Account Closed

Uncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond reputeUncle_Bob has a reputation beyond repute

I'd rather they fine and threaten to jail the parents of bullies. But that would be more difficult for them wouldn't it.
Old Jan 16th 2014, 6:20 pm
Account Closed

Ulsterman in Texas is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't have kids yet but I think as long as it's only one or two days once a year and you aren't missing tests or other important stuff, that said my wife would probably have a very different view to me. That said we are looking into homeschooling so if we are talking about Texas Independence (for example) we will probably go to the Alamo and what ever.

Last edited by Ulsterman in Texas; Jan 16th 2014 at 8:02 pm.
Old Jan 16th 2014, 6:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

My kids school has some kind of online curriculum course that they can follow for extended absences, including a couple of weeks for a holiday. We haven't used it yet, but may do next year.
Old Jan 16th 2014, 7:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

notonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond reputenotonuksoil has a reputation beyond repute

We took the kids out of school for a trip back to the UK at Christmas with the schools blessing when they were in 1st and 5th grade. The particular year in question I think Christmas day was a Thursday, they had a half day on Christmas Eve and had to be back in school on the 2nd Jan.

The last few days before Christmas break there isn't usually much going on in the classroom for elementary grade kids so I don't see it as a big deal especially as they usually only get a week off here. This year was an exception and we had just over two weeks off. However due to the winter storm and bad weather on the east coast some of my kids friends and a couple of their teachers didn't make it back for first day of school on January 6th.

The summer holidays this year are shorter due to NYS moving the final dates for regents exams. We have no problem with that at all but when it was announced at the board of Ed meeting there was nearly a riot
Old Jan 16th 2014, 10:05 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Depends.

If they're in elementary school, the reality is they don't give a shit so much.

If they're older, there's potential for hefty fines.

No one takes extended holidays here anyway, it's all about the 3 day weekend and most schools are half day on end of term.

Also they're a little more forgiving on leaving early for the summer hols because it all depends on how many days are being made up or not due to snow days, so there's never a set end of year date.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.