teenagers....

Old Aug 26th 2015, 1:23 am
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: teenagers....

Originally Posted by N1cky
Oh yikes, hope that goes ok. Can I ask why you took that decision?

As much as my teen winds me up, I'd hate not to have her home everyday.
It was her decision. She was in the second-highest-achieving school in the state and not really being challenged enough, so she applied for the highest-achieving one and got in. It's a magnet school and mostly state funded so it's not a huge financial cost to us.

I miss her enormously but as long as she's OK I'm OK... Mostly...
Old Aug 26th 2015, 1:26 am
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
((HUG)) I hope it's not too far away. Will they be coming home at weekends?

I just left my eldest at Uni and I'm crying buckets. She's only 30 minutes away ........
It's emotional isn't it? Mine will come home for a long weekend every four weeks, as well as the vacations.
Old Sep 9th 2015, 12:28 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

meal times..........

Apparently I'm a control freak because I insist on using cutlery and not fingers. So despite always making sure that we sit down together at dinner time to a decent meal that takes me at least an hour to make, I am now asking just too much. Tonight I was told that I should accept that they know how to eat in company - I've taught them that and so now I'm just being controlling. It's going to be a loooooong 2 years!!
Old Sep 9th 2015, 1:13 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Your house. Your standards. Your rules. Your cooking.

They cannot manage to eat the food put in front of them properly without complaining , then they no eaty.

Alternative is to serve up something sloppy without any cutlery or mopping ability.
Old Sep 9th 2015, 1:19 am
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
meal times..........

Apparently I'm a control freak because I insist on using cutlery and not fingers. So despite always making sure that we sit down together at dinner time to a decent meal that takes me at least an hour to make, I am now asking just too much. Tonight I was told that I should accept that they know how to eat in company - I've taught them that and so now I'm just being controlling. It's going to be a loooooong 2 years!!
I don't think you are a control freak. Some foods are OK with fingers, e.g. burgers, but I expect cutlery to be used as the norm rather than the exception. Also fork in left hand & knife concurrently in right (reverse if you are of the sinister persuasion), none of this cut and switch cråp.

We too are a sit down for a meal together at the dining table family, tonight was pan fried tilapia with a chilli rub, tomatillo & mango salad accompanied by garlic and herb couscous. I don't think it would have made good finger food.
Old Sep 9th 2015, 2:56 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lizzyq
I don't think you are a control freak. Some foods are OK with fingers, e.g. burgers, but I expect cutlery to be used as the norm rather than the exception. Also fork in left hand & knife concurrently in right (reverse if you are of the sinister persuasion), none of this cut and switch cråp.

We too are a sit down for a meal together at the dining table family, tonight was pan fried tilapia with a chilli rub, tomatillo & mango salad accompanied by garlic and herb couscous. I don't think it would have made good finger food.
Brilliant ideas from both of you! Sloppy food and food with loads of chilli

Of course, as I'm helping with homework afterwards I'm told I am a brilliant mum, the best..
Old Sep 18th 2015, 3:10 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

What happens to all the sweaters and hoodies that leave the house never to return. Where do they disappear to? There must be an entire classroom at each school dedicated to abandoned clothing. I might as well set fire to my money than by my daughter a sweater, then she has the nerve to complain that she's cold because she doesn't have anything warm to wear.
Old Sep 18th 2015, 5:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

What happens to all the sweaters and hoodies that leave the house never to return. Where do they disappear to? There must be an entire classroom at each school dedicated to abandoned clothing. I might as well set fire to my money than by my daughter a sweater, then she has the nerve to complain that she's cold because she doesn't have anything warm to wear.
Clothing allowance should solve that. My son gets $100 a month; he has to get clothes and entertainment out of that. If he loses clothes, he gets less computer games.
Old Sep 18th 2015, 5:55 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kodokan
Clothing allowance should solve that. My son gets $100 a month; he has to get clothes and entertainment out of that. If he loses clothes, he gets less computer games.
We only go to the mall around 3-4 times a year, so tend to bulk purchase, buying things every month would be a real PITA. She likes buying clothes, but isn't really materialistic, she has tons of money from Christmas/Birthday gifts that she never spends. So that approach wouldn't work for her.
Old Sep 18th 2015, 6:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

We only go to the mall around 3-4 times a year, so tend to bulk purchase, buying things every month would be a real PITA. She likes buying clothes, but isn't really materialistic, she has tons of money from Christmas/Birthday gifts that she never spends. So that approach wouldn't work for her.
Oh, they don't shop every month! It's budgeting practice, so they learn to keep money back from monthly frittering, and roll it over so they have a pot built up for the coat/ shoes/ jeans/ underwear they'll need later in the year.

But yes, no use if your child isn't one to respond to having some skin in the game.
Old Sep 18th 2015, 6:37 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kodokan
Might try that, the dude needs a turtle neck to hide the hickey the size of a....well a teen girls gob I suppose
Old Sep 18th 2015, 7:36 pm
Austin. TX.

Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz
Might try that, the dude needs a turtle neck to hide the hickey the size of a....well a teen girls gob I suppose

There is a massive trunk at the MS with all the lost property in it. Littlest always swears she's looked in it when something goes missing but it smells like an Oxfam shop in summer so I doubt it. I went hunting through it last year and couldn't believe the posh labels /expensive sports stuff in there. I dug out 30 odd lunch bags. 2 of which were ours. unfortunately nobody takes the food out before they throw the lunch bags in the trunk. Yeuch.

I take my lot shopping once a season (ie 2x a year), took eldest two a couple of weeks ago to Gap where everything was 40% off and they were handing out Gapcash vouchers too... yay!!! Went shopping for me today with $350 worth of gap cash, shame that I have to spend $350 of our own money though. ah well. better than a poke in the eye.