teenagers....

Old Aug 2nd 2015, 7:13 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: teenagers....

Originally Posted by Hiro11
Extremely cliched habits of my 14 year old daughter:
1. We took her to the mall and bought her a bunch of new, fairly pricey clothes last weekend. These were immediately strewn around her room, thrown on the floor and stomped on upon returning home. The tags weren't even removed.
2. Is usually up past 2AM in the summer and then complains when we try to get her out of bed before noon.
3. Commonly refuses dinner at 6-7PM and then is found eating junk at 10PM.
4. Has spent most of today, arguably the nicest day of this summer, huddled inside under a blanket.
5. Moped sullenly when taken to a very nice lunch yesterday, refused to say a word to anyone and refused to eat anything as (again) she "wasn't hungry". Went home and ate pretzels for lunch.

I love the kid to death (she's actually far more responsible and independent than I was at her age) but sometimes I want to tell her: "please stop being so typical, I've seen this film before!"
Oh yes this is a nightly occurrence in our house, we go to bed 10.30/11.00 5.4.3.2.1... cue thump downstairs, fridge door, freezer door, bang cupboards, rattle plates, microwave hum, microwave beep, thump upstairs
Old Aug 2nd 2015, 11:01 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Remember teens sleep cycles are not the same as adult sleep cycles, and most teens are walking around sleep deprived so when they have the opportunity to sleep in, no real surprise they do.
Old Aug 2nd 2015, 11:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Remember teens sleep cycles are not the same as adult sleep cycles, and most teens are walking around sleep deprived so when they have the opportunity to sleep in, no real surprise they do.
All SUMMER ?

OK, they may accumulate some sleep debt in the week of school, but mine are basically nocturnal right now.
Old Aug 2nd 2015, 11:46 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

My son was staying with a host family (Chinese) in Beijing. He had to get up at 5.30am with them, going to bed at 9.30pm!!!

They told him it was good for his health! I think he's still recovering from the shock. Yes, he's basically nocturnal right now. I don't blame him, it's flippig hot during the day here right now.
Old Aug 2nd 2015, 11:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond repute

For me, the sleeping all day syndrome seemed to stop at age 20. These kids do seem to need their sleep, bless them. But it was bloody infuriating whilst it lasted.
Old Aug 3rd 2015, 12:41 am
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
My son was staying with a host family (Chinese) in Beijing. He had to get up at 5.30am with them, going to bed at 9.30pm!!!
Yes, this "aw poor teenager" thing is a cultural issue.
Old Aug 3rd 2015, 2:14 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steveq
All SUMMER ?

OK, they may accumulate some sleep debt in the week of school, but mine are basically nocturnal right now.
Depends when they are going to bed, and some people just need more sleep then others do, none of us are the same.

In general a teen can sleep anywhere from 9 to 11 hours per day. At minimum they should be getting 8 to 8 1/2 hours of sleep.

As a society we have placed too much emphasis on long days, and not enough on sleep which is one of the biggest single things we can do for good health.
Old Aug 3rd 2015, 7:18 am
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Depends when they are going to bed, and some people just need more sleep then others do, none of us are the same.

In general a teen can sleep anywhere from 9 to 11 hours per day. At minimum they should be getting 8 to 8 1/2 hours of sleep.

As a society we have placed too much emphasis on long days, and not enough on sleep which is one of the biggest single things we can do for good health.
I think you will find that most parents place plenty of emphasis on sufficient sleep, but most teenagers don't like to sleep when their parents think they should.
Old Aug 3rd 2015, 2:00 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steveq
All SUMMER ?

For they are Children of the Night, and they make such beautiful music.

/vampiric teens, yet another cliche.
Old Aug 3rd 2015, 2:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Owen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond reputeOwen778 has a reputation beyond repute

What is really unfathomable is that all the high schools in Texas seem start really early. Our local one runs 7-25am to 2-30pm, with the earliest lunch period starting at 10-12am!
Old Aug 3rd 2015, 2:51 pm
Sad old Crinkly Member

excpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond reputeexcpomea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz
Any time you want to vent just give me a call. The Dude is currently in bed, where I estimate he has spent 75% of his time this summer.

8:30 - his alarm goes off [he turns it off]
9.00 - I yell upstairs wake up [a groan]
9.30 - I yell upstairs wake up [he acknowledges that he is alive and 'getting up']
10.00 - I yell upstairs wake up - [he requests that I 'chill out']
10.30 - I go upstairs and with skills of secret agent unlock his door, open his curtains and demand he gets up [he asks me what my problem is]
11.00 - I scream like a harridan that this is the last time I am calling and we are going out for lunch and if he is not up he is getting nothing [he informs me that his sustenance requirements will be taken care of by a 'hot pocket']
11.30 - I leave in a bad mood
1.30 - I return - he is still in bed [I walk around the house muttering - husband suggests a psych ward]
2.30 - He wakes, comes downstairs, asks me what there is to eat, complains that we went out without him, asks to borrow the car, $20, my last bloody shred of sanity

and I cry every time I think that he'll be off to college in 2 years...
We have one just like that.
But he has had a busy summer, only because we signed him up for every music camp we could find, then he went off on a mission trip for a week, a week working with VBS at our church and lastly the family vacation.
He's rebelling now. Refusing to get up before 1pm.
Oh well, 2 more years till collage..
Old Aug 3rd 2015, 3:20 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

3 weeks today until school starts up....commence 'Operation Rooster'

10.00am in the 'burbs, the day of our lord Monday 3rd of August 2015

Are you getting up?
[Huh]
If you want go to the cinema we are leaving at 10.30
[Dad said I had to be up at 10.30]
No we are leaving at 10.30
[This is such bull]

Yeah well son if you mess with the bull.....(altogether now) YOU GET THE HORNS bwah ha ha
Old Aug 3rd 2015, 3:39 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

To be fair, my kids are great at gettting up early to get to school on time and the high school gives them huge amounts of homework to do at night so I try to be easy going during the holidays.

Biggest daughter has just told me about the compulsory drug and alcohol awareness course she has to do at UT - she said it's pretty good. They don't prosecute for drinking alcohol on campus unless it results in a crime. I am now having flashbacks to my uni days and what we got up to whilst under the influence and can feel my anxiety levels rising......
Old Aug 3rd 2015, 3:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

I read something recently that suggested your child at three is an indicator of what they will be like as a teenager.

I am sooo screwed.
Old Aug 3rd 2015, 3:54 pm
Austin. TX.

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
I read something recently that suggested your child at three is an indicator of what they will be like as a teenager.

I am sooo screwed.
hmm,hadn't heard that one but can see some truth in it. Except that my DS didn't sleep more than 2 hours in a row for the first 3 years - drove me to screaming point. Which is where I get to now occasionally!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.