Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

tech help Microsoft OS

tech help Microsoft OS

Old Jul 21st 2017, 6:51 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute
Default tech help Microsoft OS

I can't even ask the kiddoes again because they'll just tell me to get Linux.

So in case anyone has any ideas....

my PC ( which works just fine) was bought in France with MS OS french version., Not a problem most of the time because I downloaded the language packet and on the surface everything is in English.

However, certain websites (like Nest for example but there are loads of others) recognise somehow that it is a french OS hiding there somewhere and give me their website in the french version and I don't get the option to change it. Now my french is good enough for most things but when I need to read how to do something techy or intricate it is a pita and I worry that I've misunderstood something.

Any ideas?
Old Jul 21st 2017, 7:00 pm
i hate cabbage

Jack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: tech help Microsoft OS

Go into Control Panel -> Region, swap the location to United States. Also swap the home setting on the location tab if not already set to USA.

Next, in Control Panel -> Language - remove anything associated to french (if you don't want it) - or make English a higher priority than french in the listing.

All the above assuming you're on Windows 10. If you're on an earlier version it should be relatively similar steps.
Old Jul 21st 2017, 7:02 pm
i hate cabbage

Jack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond reputeJack8602 has a reputation beyond repute

Also, if you're using Internet Explorer, go into the settings and select the language button at the bottom of the general tab and make sure your language preferences are set correctly
Old Jul 21st 2017, 7:09 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Jack8602

I checked but I had already done those steps. Everything was set to english united states.

the only thing I've just changed was "language for web content" where I have now ticked "Don't let websites access language list use language for time date etc " This was unchecked before.

I've saved this new setting but I guess I may need to restart to see if it has done anything? maybe I can just clear cookies?
Old Jul 21st 2017, 7:09 pm
Austin. TX.

Originally Posted by Jack8602
Also, if you're using Internet Explorer, go into the settings and select the language button at the bottom of the general tab and make sure your language preferences are set correctly
I don't use internet explorer. I have chrome.
Old Jul 21st 2017, 7:31 pm
i hate cabbage

In which case, could be chrome related.

Cookies could help - type thisin your address bar, clear everything, reboot & try again -
chrome://settings/clearBrowserData
Failing that - Uninstall Chrome, re-install it and retry the websites.

If the same thing happens on the same website in internet explorer, then it may be OS related
Old Jul 21st 2017, 10:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like you have done everything mentioned on these instructions

How To Change Country Or Region In Windows 10?

this microsoft site may walk you through it.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...-windows-store
Old Jul 22nd 2017, 4:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
I don't use internet explorer. I have chrome.
Whenever you have issues like this, try as many browsers as possible; IE and Firefox are easy to test with. If the problem is the same across all browsers, it's more likely an OS setting; if it's only in one browser, then it's more likely a browser issue. You don't have to like a browser to benefit from testing with it.

Also, in Chrome, try opening an 'incognito website'. This mode of operation presents less personal info back to the host website. You may try running in 'sandboxie' also, but that gets more involved. Google Sandboxie if you want to try that path.
Old Jul 22nd 2017, 4:24 pm
Austin. TX.

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Whenever you have issues like this, try as many browsers as possible; IE and Firefox are easy to test with. If the problem is the same across all browsers, it's more likely an OS setting; if it's only in one browser, then it's more likely a browser issue. You don't have to like a browser to benefit from testing with it.

Also, in Chrome, try opening an 'incognito website'. This mode of operation presents less personal info back to the host website. You may try running in 'sandboxie' also, but that gets more involved. Google Sandboxie if you want to try that path.
Thanks guys.

Changing that 1 setting in MS OS didn't do anything.
I went to incognito and that didn't change it to English either.
I opened up IE and guess what! It's in English. I opened my nest account and no more french. So it must be a chrome thing?

Any ideas of where to change the setting in Chrome?
Old Jul 22nd 2017, 4:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys.

I opened up IE and guess what! It's in English. I opened my nest account and no more french. So it must be a chrome thing?

Are you signed in on chrome? If so it may be a Google account thing?
Old Jul 24th 2017, 1:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys.

Enter the URI chrome://settings and then search for "Languages". You should see a list of installed languages with a vertical ... to the right of each. Click on one of those and there are options to re-order the language and remove it. If French is listed there I'd suggest removing it if your preference is for English.
Old Jul 24th 2017, 1:45 pm
Austin. TX.

Originally Posted by rpjs
Enter the URI chrome://settings and then search for "Languages". You should see a list of installed languages with a vertical ... to the right of each. Click on one of those and there are options to re-order the language and remove it. If French is listed there I'd suggest removing it if your preference is for English.

I owe you one!!!! You did it! You are a genius!

Thank you!

No Linux for me
Old Jul 24th 2017, 4:37 pm
i hate cabbage

No Linux for me
Eugh, Linux is good for servers but not for home OS's
Old Jul 24th 2017, 5:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jack8602
Eugh, Linux is good for servers but not for home OS's
and routers, NAS boxes, DVRs and the like
Old Jul 24th 2017, 5:56 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
and routers, NAS boxes, DVRs and the like
Fridges.