Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Taking your gun to another state drama...

Taking your gun to another state drama...

Old Mar 23rd 2009, 5:18 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taking your gun to another state drama...

Originally Posted by crg14624
People have been known to get a year in a Mexican jail for making a wrong turn into Mexico with a hunting rifle in their trunk so it could be worse.

I thought the penalty was *much* worse than that?
Not taking a gun or ammo into Mexico was something I heard about from a very early age.

Originally Posted by Leslie66
We also have drive through bars but nobody ever mentions those.
I try to always make point of bringing that up.
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 5:56 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ray
LOL ..This is Florida ...nobody disturbs the oldies during
the early bird special hours...

From what I remember
the guy survived and no charges were made against the shooters.

This was long before the "stand your ground” laws.
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/07/us/07shoot.html
Hi:

LOL on the early bird specials -- I know exactly what you mean!

A curious legal mind wonders [and doesn't know the answer] -- on the fact situation you mentioned, assume that the shooter missed his intended target and killed another customer in the restaurant?

A further "suppose" -- the shooter hit the bad guy and in a reflex he pulled the trigger on the shot-gun and did in a third person?

FWIW, this is how the "Socratic method" of teaching the law in American law schools. I put "suppose" in quotes, because the past year notes on my Crim Law Professor [the late Rollin Perkins] were called "supposes" because every question started with the word "suppose." I'm well aware that such inquiry tends to bug non-lawyers a lot -- but it is ingrained in us legal types from our education.
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 6:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
A further "suppose" -- the shooter hit the bad guy and in a reflex he pulled the trigger on the shot-gun and did in a third person?
I've always been genuinely curious about whether or not pulling the trigger "on reflex" happens in the real world. I've seen it in the movies, but I don't know if there's any way of knowing how often it happens for real.
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 6:49 pm
Carmel Indiana

paul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond repute

To remove any doubt as to what will happen should you become involved in a fatal self defence shooting, I'd HIGHLY recommend the book Miss Penguin referred to earlier.

In the gravest extreme, the role of the firearm in personal protection - massad ayoob.
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 6:59 pm
Carmel Indiana

paul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond repute

A landlord was horrified when his tennant was victimised - raped by a convicted sex offender. In addition to repairing a damaged window and installing security devices, the landlord bought the tenant a shotgun. Just a week later, as Police prepared to file charges against the rapist, he returned to the scene of the crime. Likely angry his victim had gone to the authorities, the rapist cut the power to the house and crashed through the basement door. But the woman inside was not about to be a victim again. She fired her shotgun for the first time, killing her rapist. "I'm glad I had something to protect me," the woman said. (Southeast Missourian, Cape Girardeau, MO, 11/01/08)

One story on a page called "the armed citizen" in American Rifleman magazine.
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 7:08 pm
Carmel Indiana

Hi:

LOL on the early bird specials -- I know exactly what you mean!

A curious legal mind wonders [and doesn't know the answer] -- on the fact situation you mentioned, assume that the shooter missed his intended target and killed another customer in the restaurant?

FWIW, this is how the "Socratic method" of teaching the law in American law schools. I put "suppose" in quotes, because the past year notes on my Crim Law Professor [the late Rollin Perkins] were called "supposes" because every question started with the word "suppose." I'm well aware that such inquiry tends to bug non-lawyers a lot -- but it is ingrained in us legal types from our education.
massads opinion.
a shot aimed at a criminal will be justifiable or excusable if it hits an innocent party, but pay particular attention to the mention of negligence as a factor in unitentional homicide. If it can be proved you were negligent or reckless in firing the wild shot, you liable for damages and conviction.
The same applies if you engage a robber lets say in a bank, then follow him outside, you "set the stage" and could be liable for any injuries outside, where you took the fight.
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 7:16 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bill_S
I've always been genuinely curious about whether or not pulling the trigger "on reflex" happens in the real world. I've seen it in the movies, but I don't know if there's any way of knowing how often it happens for real.
Hi:

As you know, the stiffness of triggers can vary from firearm to firearm. A body blow can cause a muscle to contract and if it happens to pull the "right" tendon ... However, it is a fair question.

However, I do find the "right to stand" provisions interesting. On the "rules of engagement" discussion, there was no "retreat" from that closet. And what degree of "standing" is required? This can be quite fact dependent.
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 7:43 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bill_S
It happens, but proper training can overcome the problem. You're not supposed to have your finger on the trigger until you're ready to fire.

If you are startled, slip or grab onto something or someone with the empty hand, it's possible that you'll have a sympathetic reflex with the other hand and squeeze the trigger.

http://www.danzanryu.com/interlimb.html
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 8:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crg14624
It happens, but proper training can overcome the problem. You're not supposed to have your finger on the trigger until you're ready to fire.

If you are startled, slip or grab onto something or someone with the empty hand, it's possible that you'll have a sympathetic reflex with the other hand and squeeze the trigger.

http://www.danzanryu.com/interlimb.html
Oh, I know that. I was referring to the perp-with-gun-pulling-trigger-when-hit scenario... many things can cause reflexive muscle contration, and I'm wondering how often a bad guy reflexively fires a round after being hit by cop (or armed citizen). Certainly it's possible, but it's a hard thing to gather data on.
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 11:22 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie66
You wouldn't diagnose me with gun envy for simply admiring your cannon, would you?
I think she's more interested in your cannon balls.
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 11:26 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paul1968mcr
To remove any doubt as to what will happen should you become involved in a fatal self defence shooting, I'd HIGHLY recommend the book Miss Penguin referred to earlier.

In the gravest extreme, the role of the firearm in personal protection - massad ayoob.
The aforementioned book should be mandatory reading for anyone who is considering owning a firearm and is especially relevant for those who wish to conceal/open carry (as appropriate per individual state laws).
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 11:28 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

Hi:

As you know, the stiffness of triggers can vary from firearm to firearm. A body blow can cause a muscle to contract and if it happens to pull the "right" tendon ... However, it is a fair question.

However, I do find the "right to stand" provisions interesting. On the "rules of engagement" discussion, there was no "retreat" from that closet. And what degree of "standing" is required? This can be quite fact dependent.
IMO one's finger should not be on the trigger unless one intends to shoot. No ifs or buts about it.
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 11:54 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
IMO one's finger should not be on the trigger unless one intends to shoot. No ifs or buts about it.
yeah, but if your some dodgy robber I don't think your going to care much are you...
Old Mar 24th 2009, 12:07 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
I was taught that that was The Law. And that you should never point it at someone unless you intend to shoot them. And that you should never shoot at someone unless you intend to kill.
Narrowed down gun use pretty clearly to me.
Old Mar 24th 2009, 1:50 am
Carmel Indiana

Originally Posted by meauxna
I was taught that that was The Law. And that you should never point it at someone unless you intend to shoot them. And that you should never shoot at someone unless you intend to kill.
Narrowed down gun use pretty clearly to me.
If miss Penguin was a supreme justice we'd all be livin in a much safer place

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.