Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Taking your gun to another state drama...

Taking your gun to another state drama...

Old Mar 23rd 2009, 2:20 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taking your gun to another state drama...

I worked with a guy who was the victim of a home invasion. There was an intruder in the house, he locked himself in the back bedroom. He was with his child, and on the phone with the 911 dispatcher. He was yelling "don't come in here" as the attacker was breaking through the bedroom door. He caught the guy with one round to the neck. The police didn't show up for another 10 minutes.

Law-abidding people shouldn't have to worry about being helpless as criminals slaughter their family.

Criminals should worry about what weapons a potential victim might have.

Gun owners should be vetted, trained, and responsibly store the weapons.

Nobody needs an Uzi.
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 2:38 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paul1968mcr
pull up a couch.
You wouldn't diagnose me with gun envy for simply admiring your cannon, would you?
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 3:12 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by crg14624
I worked with a guy who was the victim of a home invasion. There was an intruder in the house, he locked himself in the back bedroom. He was with his child, and on the phone with the 911 dispatcher. He was yelling "don't come in here" as the attacker was breaking through the bedroom door. He caught the guy with one round to the neck. The police didn't show up for another 10 minutes.

Law-abidding people shouldn't have to worry about being helpless as criminals slaughter their family.

Criminals should worry about what weapons a potential victim might have.

Gun owners should be vetted, trained, and responsibly store the weapons.

Nobody needs an Uzi.
Hi:

That is a situation which would be within the "rules of engagement." I was sitting with friends in a small restaurant and two people entered with weapons drawn. They had the drop on us. When my dad was robbed -- well lets put it this way, his description of the guy was blue "watch cap" [dad had been a coastie in WWII], Browning .45 and what else do you want to know?

BTW, this is the first time I've been engaged in a reasonable conversation on gun control. I think it should be encouraged. [There had been another thread here which had gotten totally out of control. What a difference. ]
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 3:20 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

That is a situation which would be within the "rules of engagement." I was sitting with friends in a small restaurant and two people entered with weapons drawn]
There was a similar story in my local paper some years ago

Where a young man entered a busy restaurant during the early
bird special time, with a shotgun and demanded everybody
hand over there money..

The story went on too say 83 and 88 year old Mr Y and Mr X
pulled out their concealed weapons, shot him 3 times
sat down and continued their meal...
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 3:32 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I'm so tired of people saying you have to have a gun in New York City or that everyone carries a gun in NYC or that the crime is so bad in NYC.

None of those statements have any validity at all. Leave your weapons at home where they belong when you fly, drive, or walk to another state. We don't need and you don't need your weapons here.
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 4:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Horticulturalist
So, he was at the airport leaving and he declared that he had the weapon, it was unloaded and stored correctly, but the licence was not recognised.

I'll let you know what the outcome is...
I don't see a mention of him carrying it about his person, so I don't know why the concealed carry issue came up? unless NY doesn't allow people to transport firearms?

As far as I can see the concealed carry permit is irrelevant.

ETA: a quick read of the NRA webpage on transporting firearms could have saved him a lot of trouble: http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/Federal/Read.aspx?id=59

Caution--New York is the only state that prohibits the transportation of handguns without a license. Travelers should therefore be particularly careful since they face severe consequences should they inadvertently violate the state's highly restrictive statutes.
As far as I know possessing a firearm illegally is a felony in any state. Looks like your relative is in deep do-do.

Last edited by anotherlimey; Mar 23rd 2009 at 4:07 pm.
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 4:11 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
I'm so tired of people saying you have to have a gun in New York City or that everyone carries a gun in NYC or that the crime is so bad in NYC.

None of those statements have any validity at all. Leave your weapons at home where they belong when you fly, drive, or walk to another state. We don't need and you don't need your weapons here.
I'm tired of people saying that Texas is full of ignorant rednecks, racist cops, homophobic preachers and Bible bashing fruit bats. :curse:
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 4:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie66
I'm tired of people saying that Texas is full of ignorant rednecks, racist cops, homophobic preachers and Bible bashing fruit bats. :curse:
Yeah... that's not all there is... they also have a woman who looks like Stiffler's mum..
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 4:24 pm
WTF?

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
Yeah... that's not all there is... they also have a woman who looks like Stiffler's mum..
We also have drive through bars but nobody ever mentions those.
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 4:27 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Ray
There was a similar story in my local paper some years ago

Where a young man entered a busy restaurant during the early
bird special time, with a shotgun and demanded everybody
hand over there money..

The story went on too say 83 and 88 year old Mr Y and Mr X
pulled out their concealed weapons, shot him 3 times
sat down and continued their meal...
Hi:

On the "rules of engagement" end of things -- it depends upon the facts of the situation. What us lawyers call "case by case." Assuming the story is true, one might wonder if the shooters increased the risk to other customers there?
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 4:32 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Rete

Rete:

Totally in agreement with you. However, paul1968mcr on mentioned the word "need" in connection with Federal control of who can carry a concealed firearm and the necessity of keeping them out of the hands of criminals. He did not say one "needs" to carry in New York City.

[Of course, even on "The Coast" I've heard of New York's finest carry heat using it on unarmed individuals.]
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 4:37 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

On the "rules of engagement" end of things -- it depends upon the facts of the situation. What us lawyers call "case by case." Assuming the story is true, one might wonder if the shooters increased the risk to other customers there?
LOL ..This is Florida ...nobody disturbs the oldies during
the early bird special hours...

From what I remember
the guy survived and no charges were made against the shooters.

This was long before the "stand your ground” laws.
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/07/us/07shoot.html
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 5:06 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

right - there are lots of cows as well
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 5:10 pm
WTF?

Originally Posted by elfman
right - there are lots of cows as well
Did you just call me a cow?
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 5:16 pm
Ray

Did you just call me a cow?
better the heiffer...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.