Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Taking your gun to another state drama...

Taking your gun to another state drama...

Old Mar 22nd 2009, 11:56 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taking your gun to another state drama...

Originally Posted by paul1968mcr
I'm hoping to attend Masad Ayoobs Lethal Force Institute in Indiana.....the $800 required is delaying things somewhat (thats another gun).

Yeah the permit really does need to be federal, too easy for the uninformed to cock-up accidently, and without causing any danger to another soul, end up right in it!
I'm reading Massad's "In the Gravest Extreme" at the moment. It is sobering reading. Have you read this book?
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 12:03 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Nar I was refering to a National concealed carry permit, not a registry, there used to be such a permit I have heard, many moons ago.
Hi:

As I said, that is a political question. But you seem to agree as to the need for some type of national registration of those carrying handguns rather than the guns themselves. Nonetheless, you feel the need for a higher degree of gun control than now exists. That is your privilege and many people may reasonably disagree as to the degree of control that is needed, desirable or constitutional.

I see a ground of agreement between you and Robin1234. You both agree to the "need" for gun control, but disagree as to the methods.
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 12:07 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by robin1234
I don't care if they are Americans or not - I don't want people carrying guns anywhere near me (unless they are police officers, legitimate hunters, or otherwise have a good reason to be carrying a gun..)

And a vague distrust of "unsavory characters" is not a good reason. In fact, it's a terrible reason.
Hi:

But Paul1968mcr and you are in basic agreement as to the need for some type of gun control. Looking for grounds of compromise, what do you consider to be "otherwise have a good reason to carry a gun?"

Again, this is a political question and I see grounds for agreement.
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 12:08 am
Carmel Indiana

paul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
I'm reading Massad's "In the Gravest Extreme" at the moment. It is sobering reading. Have you read this book?
Yeah just reading "the gun digest book of combat handgunnery" he wrote at the moment.

He's a very interesting / talented guy!!
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 12:20 am
Carmel Indiana

paul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond repute

I don't care if they are Americans or not - I don't want people carrying guns anywhere near me (unless they are police officers, legitimate hunters, or otherwise have a good reason to be carrying a gun..)

And a vague distrust of "unsavory characters" is not a good reason. In fact, it's a terrible reason.
I'm sure sigmund had some thoughts on irrational fears of guns.

You know we aint a million miles apart really, what you gotta understand is that I'm a sane responsible individual, like a good number of my fellow gun "nuts". We as a group pose no little danger to the public at large...in fact we might help who knows?
I also don't want guns around me or my family that are held ILLEGALLY, these are the individuals and weapons that commit crime....but I can't eliminate these weapons, so I'll takes steps to protect myself and mine - thats all my gun will be used for, other than going to the range. "Why u carry a gun, cos' a cops too heavy" - "when seconds count, the police are minutes away" etc etc etc.
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 12:27 am
Carmel Indiana

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

As I said, that is a political question. But you seem to agree as to the need for some type of national registration of those carrying handguns rather than the guns themselves. Nonetheless, you feel the need for a higher degree of gun control than now exists. That is your privilege and many people may reasonably disagree as to the degree of control that is needed, desirable or constitutional.

I see a ground of agreement between you and Robin1234. You both agree to the "need" for gun control, but disagree as to the methods.
I was actually arguing for greater freedom for legal firearm owners, the freedom to travel without hinder from state to state.

A greater good would be a national register of illegal gun holders...but as with all gun control measures, these guys tend to ignore them.
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 1:27 am
Account Closed

I was actually arguing for greater freedom for legal firearm owners, the freedom to travel without hinder from state to state.

A greater good would be a national register of illegal gun holders...but as with all gun control measures, these guys tend to ignore them.
Hi:

I am not in disagreement with you at all, then. I believe that total anarchy is the opposite of the "freedom" that we so cherish. That is ensconced in the preamble to the Constitution.

And if people don't care to follow the law, the national registration of handgun owners will allow the law to come down harder on those people who own them for illegal purposes and grant greater freedom to those who are legal and responsible owners.
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 2:01 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure sigmund had some thoughts on irrational fears of guns.

You know we aint a million miles apart really, what you gotta understand is that I'm a sane responsible individual, like a good number of my fellow gun "nuts". We as a group pose no little danger to the public at large...in fact we might help who knows?
I also don't want guns around me or my family that are held ILLEGALLY, these are the individuals and weapons that commit crime....but I can't eliminate these weapons, so I'll takes steps to protect myself and mine - thats all my gun will be used for, other than going to the range. "Why u carry a gun, cos' a cops too heavy" - "when seconds count, the police are minutes away" etc etc etc.
Speaking of Freud.
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 4:20 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Give 'em an inch and they'll take a mile!
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 4:44 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Give 'em an inch and they'll take a mile!
Next thing they will want is National Driving Licenses
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 10:02 am
Carmel Indiana

Originally Posted by Leslie66
Speaking of Freud.
pull up a couch.
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 10:44 am
Carmel Indiana

Thomas Jefferson: "The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes....Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man. Thomas Jefferson's "Commonplace Book," 1774-1776, quoting 18th century criminologist Cesare Beccaria in Chapter 40 of "On Crimes and Punishment", 1764.

Old Mar 23rd 2009, 11:52 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

I think this is a little ironic considering your first paragraph.
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 11:55 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Please don't ask such practical questions in this developing thread ...

Define 'need'!

Ignoring the constitutional and esoteric arguments, 'why' should it be legal to carry a firearm? If I had a firearm I can guarantee you it would be a detriment to society ... blowing off my penis would be the best you could hope for ...

Hello Steerpike, why so negative?
Old Mar 23rd 2009, 1:58 pm
Account Closed

Thomas Jefferson: "The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes....Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man. Thomas Jefferson's "Commonplace Book," 1774-1776, quoting 18th century criminologist Cesare Beccaria in Chapter 40 of "On Crimes and Punishment", 1764.

Hi:

Actually, it is not a quote from Jefferson himself, but a translation of something he quoted.

http://wiki.monticello.org/mediawiki...rrying_of_arms

Another good argument in support of the type of gun control you posit.

However, I wonder, as a matter of general practicality: As one trained in the use of firearms and and what one might call the "rules of engagement" in civilian life -- the general utility of side arms is getting a drop on the bad guy. Being one who has been robbed at gunpoint, I feel comfortable in saying that having a gun would not have done any good -- in fact one of my companions did have a pistol in her purse -- one of the things stolen.

But I like the way you are thinking. The tone of your conversation expressing not only willingness but also the desirability of gun control is refreshing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.