Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Sweeteners - do you use any?

Sweeteners - do you use any?

Old Apr 4th 2017, 4:03 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sweeteners - do you use any?

Originally Posted by WEBlue
Here's an interesting FDA table I came across. It tells the maximum number of packets of each sweetener that the FDA considers "safe" for human consumption.

https://www.fda.gov/Food/Ingredients...m#SummaryTable

Aspartame (Equal, blue) = 75 packets
Saccharin (Sweet 'n low, pink) = 45
Splenda (Sucralose, yellow) = 23
Stevia (Rebiana, green) = 9
Presumably that's 'at one time', otherwise I'm one cup of coffee away from death
Old Apr 4th 2017, 1:39 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Presumably that's 'at one time', otherwise I'm one cup of coffee away from death
Oh Sultan, I do have to wonder if you read the FDA link with the table I provided?

How much high-intensity sweetener is safe to eat?
During premarket review, FDA established an acceptable daily intake (ADI) level for each of the five high-intensity sweeteners approved as food additives. � An ADI is the amount of a substance that is considered safe to consume each day over the course of a person’s lifetime.
Joking aside, I think it's possible I may occasionally be going over my daily limit of Stevia.... It's only 9 packets per day! Once in a while-- when I need to drive long distances, for instance--I need a big strong cup of coffee with 4 Stevia packets.

I may have to go back to saccharine, which I haven't had for years. That ADI is more generous.

Last edited by WEBlue; Apr 4th 2017 at 2:21 pm.
Old Apr 4th 2017, 1:48 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh Sultan, I do have to wonder if you read the FDA link with the table I provided?

Joking aside, I think it's possible I may occasionally be going over my daily limit of Stevia.... It's only 9 packets per day! Once in a while-- when I need to drive long distances, for instance--I need a big strong cup of coffee with 4 Stevia packets.

I may have to go back to saccharine, which I haven't had for years. That ADI is huge.
What's wrong with sugar in moderation?
Old Apr 4th 2017, 1:52 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, that would have dampened by hyperbole, wouldn't it?

I may have to go back to saccharine, which I haven't had for years. That ADI is huge.
I use Sweet & Low in my coffee, I think that is saccharine based. It's not too bad, but I think the caloric benefit outweighs any potential negatives so make of it what you will
Old Apr 4th 2017, 1:54 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
What's wrong with sugar in moderation?
Nothing, but if you're a fatty like me, every calorie is sacred. Not that two spoonfuls of sugar is a huge amount (32 calories), but it can add up when you're using milk/cream/creamer as well.

I tend to think that if I'm going to drink calories, it may as well be beer
Old Apr 4th 2017, 2:01 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing, but if you're a fatty like me, every calorie is sacred. Not that two spoonfuls of sugar is a huge amount (32 calories), but it can add up when you're using milk/cream/creamer as well.

I gave up sugar in coffee about 30 years ago I have 3ish cans of full fat coke a week and Ribena about the same. I think that's my sugar total give or take the odd lemon cheesecake. The husband would take three heaped in his tea/coffee given half a chance but then he's a string bean. He'd probably have me certified if I suggested he go to sweeteners.
Old Apr 4th 2017, 2:06 pm
I have a comma problem

I gave up sugar in coffee about 30 years ago I have 3ish cans of full fat coke a week and Ribena about the same. I think that's my sugar total give or take the odd lemon cheesecake. The husband would take three heaped in his tea/coffee given half a chance but then he's a string bean. He'd probably have me certified if I suggested he go to sweeteners.
I only recently started drinking coffee again after about 8 years of not having any. I used to drink it black and plain but I find I prefer it a bit sweeter now (and that helps me fight the urge to eat a big honking donut or slice of cake while I drink it, too )

I don't take sugar in my tea though, only a little milk, and I drink mostly water with the odd can of diet/zero type pop when I fancy a change. That way I have some margin of error if I fancy a bar of chocolate, or some ice cream.
Old Apr 4th 2017, 2:35 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, that would have dampened by hyperbole, wouldn't it?
Oh most definitely.

Besides, I think most of us will do anything to avoid reading 'suggested' links--I certainly do.

I use Sweet & Low in my coffee, I think that is saccharine based. It's not too bad, but I think the caloric benefit outweighs any potential negatives so make of it what you will
Yes, the pink sachets are saccharine. For years & years when I was a lot younger it was the preferred (or maybe the only?) sweetener. I'll happily use it if there's nothing else....

I'm thinking to mix my sweeteners if I'm forced to consume the giant Dunkin Donuts coffee to do the regular tri-state drive to the rellies. Half & half.

Last edited by WEBlue; Apr 4th 2017 at 2:47 pm.
Old Apr 4th 2017, 2:45 pm
Under blue skies

Ditto for me. Not beer--which I hate--but I just can't resist a big loaded jacket potato every now & then.... I'm a former fatty (knock on wood). Though my doctor says my BMI is now good & I should stop starving myself, I can feel those pounds hovering around my hips & butt, just waiting their chance to jump back on.

See...you are able to practice moderation, Moneypenny. And your husband too. Some of us aren't good at that.
Old Apr 4th 2017, 2:46 pm
I have a comma problem

Oh most definitely.

Besides, I think most of us will do anything to avoid reading 'suggested' links--I certainly do.
That being said, I'd love to see who's using 45 packets of sweetener in a day

Yes, the pink sachets are saccharine. For years & years when I was a lot younger it was the preferred (or maybe the only?) sweetener. I'll happily use it if there's nothing else....

I'm thinking to mix my sweeteners if I'm forced to consume the giant Duncin Donuts coffee to do the regular tri-state drive to the rellies. Half & half.
I mean, in cases like that you might as well just use the normal sugar. I know when I'm on trips, eating carefully tends to go out the window, and as Nutek always says, vacation calories don't count.
Old Apr 4th 2017, 2:49 pm
I have a comma problem

Ditto for me. Not beer--which I hate--but I just can't resist a big loaded jacket potato every now & then.... I'm a former fatty (knock on wood). Though my doctor says my BMI is now good & I should stop starving myself, I can feel those pounds hovering around my hips & butt, just waiting their chance to jump back on.
I still eat potatoes now and then, just not every day like I used to. I eat a couple of apples a day too and they obviously have sugar in them but they also have fiber and all kinds of other good things that I see as offsetting their carbs.

I just try to avoid taking in extra calories in drinks, so I have more 'room' for things like potatoes, rice, or toast. Beyond that, it's just maths. Take in less than you burn.

See...you are able to practice moderation, Moneypenny. And your husband too. Some of us aren't good at that.
I'm not good at moderation, either
Old Apr 4th 2017, 9:15 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

.... and as Nutek always says, vacation calories don't count.
As everyone here knows, everything Nutek says is very wise.
Old Apr 5th 2017, 3:35 am
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by Pulaski
As everyone here knows, everything Nutek says is very wise.
He's not steered me wrong yet.
Old Apr 6th 2017, 9:19 pm
Under blue skies

Originally Posted by Guindalf
I buy the 1500 packet box of Sweet'N'Low from Sam's, which lasts several years.

I also drink caffeine free Diet Coke as my soda of choice.

So please don't preach at me. There's so many warnings, even breathing has its dangers!
One 12 oz. can caffeine free Diet Coke has approx. 200 mg Aspartame (blue packet)

I don't drink diet soda much, but I have friends & family who mainline it & get the jitters if they have to go a day without their favourite can or 3.... So I got curious about which sweeteners are in which sodas, and I found this table that shows clearly which type and how much for all the typical diet soda brands.

http://static.diabetesselfmanagement...SM0310_012.pdf

Last edited by WEBlue; Apr 6th 2017 at 9:49 pm.
Old Apr 7th 2017, 2:26 am
Crazy Cat Lady

One 12 oz. can caffeine free Diet Coke has approx. 200 mg Aspartame (blue packet)

I don't drink diet soda much, but I have friends & family who mainline it & get the jitters if they have to go a day without their favourite can or 3.... So I got curious about which sweeteners are in which sodas, and I found this table that shows clearly which type and how much for all the typical diet soda brands.

http://static.diabetesselfmanagement...SM0310_012.pdf
Aspartame is truly evil shit. Weirdly the only migraine meds that work for me have Aspartame in. Life sucks sometimes!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.