ST Patty's Day
3.70%
What is a shamrock anyhow?
20.37%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

St Patrick's Day

Old Mar 22nd 2017, 1:16 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: St Patrick's Day

Originally Posted by kimilseung
Its a pity that a thread about the oddities of Irish-Americans has turned to the troubles, I see how it happened (my joke included), but its still a pity it did.
Yeah, that did take a turn. I think it might be partly my fault for going off on one about the Irish Car Bomb (but it is still in horrendously bad taste as a drink name, not to mention that the Irish wouldn't be caught dead dropping anything into a pint of Guinness like that). Also, it bears pointing out that (personal feelings regarding petition aside) the majority of the people who took part in the bombings were British citizens, Irish as a technicality, but British nonetheless.

So here's a little tangent to get us back on track again. I heard an anecdote recently regarding corned beef and cabbage, while talking to a colleague in work who has both Irish roots and an interest in all things Irish. I had always thought it was derived from colcannon, but according to him it was because in the late 19th century, Irish immigrants in New York would eat on the street, and were introduced to the corned beef by Jewish street vendors, and the adopted it from there.

So there you go. Google seemed to hint that there was some truth in it.
Old Mar 22nd 2017, 1:25 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
So here's a little tangent to get us back on track again. I heard an anecdote recently regarding corned beef and cabbage, while talking to a colleague in work who has both Irish roots and an interest in all things Irish. I had always thought it was derived from colcannon, but according to him it was because in the late 19th century, Irish immigrants in New York would eat on the street, and were introduced to the corned beef by Jewish street vendors, and the adopted it from there.

So there you go. Google seemed to hint that there was some truth in it.
It's not real corned beef unless it comes out of a can. You know, like salmon.
Old Mar 22nd 2017, 1:28 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek
Well yes, you and I know that, obviously. Here, we're really talking about beef brisket and cabbage (I haven't really looked at where the 'corned' part comes from, but I would hazard a guess at peppercorns in the seasoning, maybe).

Nonetheless, I actually kind of like it and will happily gorge myself on it every year when the time rolls by.
Old Mar 22nd 2017, 1:31 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek
I had an Irish woman telling me this week, that she has always had corned beef in Ireland. She isnt that old, so I have a suspicion, that American corned beef may have culturally colonized Ireland.
Old Mar 22nd 2017, 1:39 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by kimilseung
I had an Irish woman telling me this week, that she has always had corned beef in Ireland. She isnt that old, so I have a suspicion, that American corned beef may have culturally colonized Ireland.
That or she was just having beef brisket and it was completely unrelated to the St Patrick's Day traditions this side of the pond
Old Mar 25th 2017, 6:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

The poll asks whether we call it St. Paddy's or St. Patty's ... I only call it St Patricks Day - not that I call it anything most of the time.

WTF does it matter whether people abbreviate St Patrick's to St. Patty's or St. Paddy's?
Old Mar 25th 2017, 7:40 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
The poll asks whether we call it St. Paddy's or St. Patty's ... I only call it St Patricks Day - not that I call it anything most of the time.

WTF does it matter whether people abbreviate St Patrick's to St. Patty's or St. Paddy's?
In the grand scheme of things, it doesnt matter, but it does show a disconnect between Irish-American culture and Irish culture. It also displays a lack of awareness that traditionally Paddy is a diminutive for the male name Padraig/Patrick (many Americans seem under the impression that it is only an insult), while Patty is traditionally a diminutive for the female name Patricia.