ST Patty's Day
3.70%
What is a shamrock anyhow?
20.37%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

St Patrick's Day

Old Mar 20th 2017, 5:37 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: St Patrick's Day

Originally Posted by kimilseung
Two tall ones that go down real easily.
http://static4.depositphotos.com/101...es-of-beer.jpg

Oh...and another thing...how many four leaf clovers have you seen this week masquerading as shamrocks?
More than a few.

I mean, yeah, shamrock is a type of clover but it's the 3 leaf kind that should be used.
Old Mar 20th 2017, 5:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Food wise, I'll give them the corn beef and cabbage because even though it's not in the slightest bit Irish, I do like it. Though a nice Irish Stew and a buttery slice of wheaten bread would go down a treat.
My ex used to do an Irish stew with wheaten bread that was amazing. I don't like vegetables or stew, but man, this stew was awesome. She also used to do potato and leek soup with wheaten. I don't like leeks either, but this soup was god like. I think it was the cream she used to add as a little swirl on the top that did it!
Old Mar 20th 2017, 5:49 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markonline1
My ex used to do an Irish stew with wheaten bread that was amazing. I don't like vegetables or stew, but man, this stew was awesome. She also used to do potato and leek soup with wheaten. I don't like leeks either, but this soup was god like. I think it was the cream she used to add as a little swirl on the top that did it!
That sounds lovely. Especially with a nice dollop of creamery butter on the bread. Bloody heaven, that
Old Mar 20th 2017, 5:53 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Old Mar 20th 2017, 6:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

Two tall ones that go down real easily.
http://static4.depositphotos.com/101...es-of-beer.jpg
I thought it was just a Manhattan mixed with two kamikazes.
Old Mar 20th 2017, 6:21 pm
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
I did meet a guy who went through the Manchester bombing, luckily he was at the back of the shop when it went off.
One of my 8 year old daughter's school friends was cut by flying glass in the 1996 blast and our office junior was on the bus heading into the city centre when the bomb went off. Since then Manchester city centre has been rejuvenated, which I am sure was not the original intent.

I wonder how Americans would feel to find bars serving some form of cocktail called an "OKC blaster" or similar?
Old Mar 20th 2017, 8:41 pm
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Let's not forget that the IRA received funding from an Irish-American group named NORAID. The money they sent enabled the IRA to receive training and purchase weapons from Libya.

I could never understand why the FBI allowed the activities of NORAID to continue. The agency must have been aware of where the money was going and what is was being used for

9/11 finally brought home the realization that terrorism knows no borders
Old Mar 21st 2017, 2:16 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dc koop
Let's not forget that the IRA received funding from an Irish-American group named NORAID. The money they sent enabled the IRA to receive training and purchase weapons from Libya. ....
And the Czechoslovakian communists - that's where the IRA's C4 came from.
.... I could never understand why the FBI allowed the activities of NORAID to continue. The agency must have been aware of where the money was going and what is was being used for. ....
I never understood why Maggie couldn't get Ronnie to address the issue once and for all.
Old Mar 21st 2017, 2:48 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I never understood why Maggie couldn't get Ronnie to address the issue once and for all.
I just assumed it was officially raised for Sinn Fein. They might say "IRA" in the pub, but the cheque would be written out to Sinn Fein.
edit: Though a quick Google tells me that Sinn Fein was considered a terrorist organization in the US, before 1994.

Last edited by kimilseung; Mar 21st 2017 at 2:51 am.
Old Mar 21st 2017, 2:52 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I just assumed it was officially raised for Sinn Fein. They might say "IRA" in the pub, but the cheque would be written out to Sinn Fein.
I doubt many cheques were involved - surely collections in bars were for cash? But in any case it was all routed through Noraid, wasn't it?
Old Mar 21st 2017, 4:07 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I doubt many cheques were involved - surely collections in bars were for cash? But in any case it was all routed through Noraid, wasn't it?
Were the people shoving dollar bills in tin cans labelled Sein Fein really that ignorant that they didn't think their money was going to the IRA for weapons?
Old Mar 21st 2017, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Were the people shoving dollar bills in tin cans labelled Sein Fein really that ignorant that they didn't think their money was going to the IRA for weapons?
Of couse not, I believe most of them believed the hype that they were funding freedom fighters.

They appeared to be entirely unaware that they were funding communist-backed insurgents fighting against a representative democracy in which all adults were free to vote.
Old Mar 21st 2017, 8:14 pm
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20

I once saw a NORAID booth at a Renaissance Fair here in Cal and I'm pretty sure the people manning the booth knew exactly where that money was going.

Last edited by dc koop; Mar 21st 2017 at 8:24 pm.
Old Mar 21st 2017, 11:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

So 52 posts and no WGAF!?!? ..... Honorable mentions to the above for coming closest.
I'm from Manchester. I was being polite with my reply to my American 'Irish' friends...
Old Mar 22nd 2017, 12:08 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Its a pity that a thread about the oddities of Irish-Americans has turned to the troubles, I see how it happened (my joke included), but its still a pity it did.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.