Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

SpaceX Heavy Rocket Launch in FL Today!

SpaceX Heavy Rocket Launch in FL Today!

Old Feb 7th 2018, 5:43 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SpaceX Heavy Rocket Launch in FL Today!

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Tesla was other-worldly in his genius. Whether he was an actual alien or not, well, it's fun to speculate but we'll never know. I only brought up Edison as an example that many inventors tend to be arseholes.

Nobody, really. The positions and orbits of satellites are known, so they can be worked around. I'm pretty sure launch sites are in controlled airspace, so there shouldn't be any air traffic to worry about. Once you get out of the atmosphere you're all good.
I know it re: Edison. I was just holding forth and expounding on the absolute genius that was Tesla.

I know NORAD tracks something like 25,000 objects whizzing about.
There has to be some body managing it. Otherwise, what's to stop you and I putting up two satellites in the same orbit and then they smash into each other at 17,500mph (that was the Space Shuttles orbital speed), and then send debris whizzing into other satellites and causing a chain reaction, thereb y imprisoning us on our planet.
Old Feb 7th 2018, 5:46 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Vacuums don't suck up sound waves, they just can't propagate in a vacuum because sound needs a medium to transmit it as it needs 'something' to vibrate.

Needlessly pedantic, I know. I've been doing so well lately too.
Yes they do. I know the science.
In my science class at middle school, Mr Howell attached a vacuum pump to a rectangular oil can. As he reduced the pressure inside the can, it got squashed.
He tried to give me all this mularkey about air pressure squashing the can, but I know it was the vacuum sucking it flat. It's science, mate. I seen it with my own eyes.

We have a Dyson DC41 and it stopped working. The vacuum leaked out. It's somewhere in the house, probably behind the couch. We had to get a replacement put in from the vacuum cleaner repair store.

Last edited by Octang Frye; Feb 7th 2018 at 5:49 pm.
Old Feb 7th 2018, 5:48 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Might I suggest that dumping our used cars in the stratospheres of other intelligent life forms, if found, is not the best way to start a relationship
What about POTUS?
Old Feb 7th 2018, 5:50 pm
Peace onion

Originally Posted by Leslie
What about POTUS?
Sigh. You can't just let us all enjoy the moment without making it political.
Old Feb 7th 2018, 5:51 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
I know it re: Edison. I was just holding forth and expounding on the absolute genius that was Tesla.

I know NORAD tracks something like 25,000 objects whizzing about.
There has to be some body managing it. Otherwise, what's to stop you and I putting up two satellites in the same orbit and then they smash into each other at 17,500mph (that was the Space Shuttles orbital speed), and then send debris whizzing into other satellites and causing a chain reaction, thereb y imprisoning us on our planet.
Well, what's stopping you and I putting satellites into orbit is that we don't have the technology to do so. I get what you mean, but I am sure SpaceX have crossed their T's and dotted their ... lower case J's.

Yes they do. I know the science.
In my science class at middle school, Mr Howell attached a vacuum pump to a rectangular oil can. As he reduced the pressure inside the can, it got squashed.
He tried to give me all this mularkey about air pressure squashing the can, but I know it was the vacuum sucking it flat. It's science, mate. I seen it with my own eyes.

We have a Dyson DC41 and it stopped working. The vacuum leaked out. It's somewhere in the house, probably behind the couch. We had to get a replacement put in from the vacuum cleaner repair store.
I know you know that vacuums 'suck' due to the action of air pressure, so I'm just going to ignore this
Old Feb 7th 2018, 5:55 pm
Peace onion

I found this. Hopefully doesn't break rule 7 or whatever it is.

Geostationary slots are a rare resource and are assigned to countries by the ITU (International Telecommunications Union) since they are mainly used for communications and broadcasting, and need deconfliction both in frequency allocation (to reduce interference - the main raison d'être of ITU-R as a division of the ITU) and in collision avoidance (tighter orbital boxes are costly in terms of lifetime xenon expenditure).

Almost everything else in orbit selection is based on the operator's discretion, provided the downlink and uplink frequencies do not conflict with other satellite, fixed and mobile services.

Orbits are checked through national space control centers, though, to avoid crossing paths with other satellites and space debris.

For more information on Geostationary services, please have a look at http://www.itu.int/ITU-R/space/snl/

EDIT: On sanctions and reprisals: violating an international treaty is bad since the culprits will find themselves shunned. States do have the ability and legal authority to jam or disrupt non-authorized transmitters that broadcast into their territories, so it shouldn't be surprising to the perpetrator to find his downlinks or uplinks jammed. It should be noted that GSO is far away from the Earth, and the link budgets are quite slim, so any modest interference will degrade the link beyond usefulness.

TL;DR - A non-state actor (a corporation) will be held liable by its national telecommunications (and space) authorities, while a non-compliant state will be unable to effectively use the slot in GEO due to easy counter-measures.
Old Feb 7th 2018, 5:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
And the not in considerable matter that Mars is apparently unable to hold an atmosphere.
Not quite true; Mars does have an atmosphere (that's why it has a bright sky during daylight, unlike the Moon, and dust storms). The atmosphere is exceedingly thin of course, and humans would need pressure suits on the surface.

Personally I think that a trip to Mars is likely suicidal, and that we are a number of decades away from having reliable technology that makes sending men to Mars even vaguely reasonable. By which I mean that until we have a permanently manned base on the moon, with rockets going back and forth to earth at least a couple of times a week, then a trip to Mars is just too much of a gamble with potentially unreliable technology. Because if you experience a problem on, or on your way to Mars, you are going to be seriously screwed with respect to any sort of rescue.
It clearly would be much more dangerous than going to the Moon was in the 60s, and that came close to disaster at least once of course. But technology has moved on, and I don't think there'd be any shortage of volunteers, even for a one-way, you'll have to build yourselves a semi-self sustainable base once you get there basis. Hell, I'd go even if I knew I'd have to live out my days there, except that a) my wife wouldn't go and b) there's no way I'd make the cut anyway.
Old Feb 7th 2018, 6:01 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Sigh. You can't just let us all enjoy the moment without making it political.
Why, whatever do you mean?

FYI - POTUS is a highly scientific term for an obscure and dangerous type of space matter that has infected our planet. I was hoping that we could offload this toxic invader into the cosmos. It has nothing to do with politics, this is a public health issue. I'm surprised you didn't know that.
Old Feb 7th 2018, 6:05 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

I found this. Hopefully doesn't break rule 7 or whatever it is.

Geostationary slots are a rare resource and are assigned to countries by the ITU (International Telecommunications Union) since they are mainly used for communications and broadcasting, and need deconfliction both in frequency allocation (to reduce interference - the main raison d'être of ITU-R as a division of the ITU) and in collision avoidance (tighter orbital boxes are costly in terms of lifetime xenon expenditure).

Almost everything else in orbit selection is based on the operator's discretion, provided the downlink and uplink frequencies do not conflict with other satellite, fixed and mobile services.

Orbits are checked through national space control centers, though, to avoid crossing paths with other satellites and space debris.

For more information on Geostationary services, please have a look at http://www.itu.int/ITU-R/space/snl/

EDIT: On sanctions and reprisals: violating an international treaty is bad since the culprits will find themselves shunned. States do have the ability and legal authority to jam or disrupt non-authorized transmitters that broadcast into their territories, so it shouldn't be surprising to the perpetrator to find his downlinks or uplinks jammed. It should be noted that GSO is far away from the Earth, and the link budgets are quite slim, so any modest interference will degrade the link beyond usefulness.

TL;DR - A non-state actor (a corporation) will be held liable by its national telecommunications (and space) authorities, while a non-compliant state will be unable to effectively use the slot in GEO due to easy counter-measures.
Well there you go, then.

Of course, that's for satellites or objects entering Earth orbit. Since the roadster was destined for points beyond, all they had to do was wait for a window to launch and it's off to the asteroid belt.
Old Feb 7th 2018, 6:19 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie
What about POTUS?
Interplanetary war would break out. And they would be justified.
Old Feb 7th 2018, 6:22 pm
I have a comma problem

Interplanetary war would break out. And they would be justified.
Interplanetary war, you say?

Old Feb 7th 2018, 6:25 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Why is it that scenes from the future always involve the wearing of synthetic skin-tight jump suits? Very few people can carry off that look.
Old Feb 7th 2018, 6:26 pm
Peace onion

Old Feb 7th 2018, 6:28 pm
Peace onion

Why is it that scenes from the future always involve the wearing of synthetic skin-tight jump suits? Very few people can carry off that look.
Because Wilma Deering...

Old Feb 7th 2018, 6:28 pm
I have a comma problem

I don't know, but my man Zapp Brannigan takes it a step further, you didn't see the bottom half in that picture ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.