Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

SpaceX Heavy Rocket Launch in FL Today!

SpaceX Heavy Rocket Launch in FL Today!

Old Feb 7th 2018, 2:20 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SpaceX Heavy Rocket Launch in FL Today!

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
I love that song.

Indeed.

Much as I think Teslas are cool (come at me, IDGAF), the Falcon is way more impressive to me
So is that Tesla in earth orbit? Is it correct that it won't come down for "millions of years"? Somehow I thought it was going into Mars orbit...

Yes the Falcon was pretty impressive.
Old Feb 7th 2018, 2:21 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

We need more things like this. I know the test kind of a gimmick, but this is demonstrating technology that may yet get us to Mars. I hope SpaceX and NASA can team up in the future because stuff like this excites the hell out of me. IDGAF if Elon Musk is arrogant, or if he's an arsehole, he is still generating a net positive with the technologies he's developing.
Be interesting to see what NASA do at this point. The SLS has to look a bit redundant right now.
Old Feb 7th 2018, 2:23 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
So is that Tesla in earth orbit? Is it correct that it won't come down for "millions of years"? Somehow I thought it was going into Mars orbit...

Actually went for a longer burn (to depletion I think), so it will be heading out further than originally planned. Out to the asteroid belt. ish.
Old Feb 7th 2018, 2:26 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek
Actually went for a longer burn (to depletion I think), so it will be heading out further than originally planned. Out to the asteroid belt. ish.
Cool. Quite a nice artifact, actually. If as a species we do make ourselves extinct, at least there's a three dimensional model of what we were like.
Old Feb 7th 2018, 2:28 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

I hope there was a towel on board.
There was
Old Feb 7th 2018, 2:29 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

On its way to the asteroid belt, I believe. Looks like the overshot the trajectory to send it to Mars. I wonder if the camera will still be active when it reaches the belt though, because I would love to see that feed.

Not sure if it will be 'coming down' as such, unless it's hit by an asteroid. Perhaps eventually the orbit will decay and it will fall toward the sun, but it's probably going to be sitting there for a billion years if it isn't impacted by something.

Be interesting to see what NASA do at this point. The SLS has to look a bit redundant right now.
Seeing those two boosters landing was amazing. OK, they didn't get all three but holy crap - did anyone think back when the Space Shuttle was in its golden age, so to speak, that there would be privateers sending reusable rockets into space?

NASA and SpaceX should team up. NASA has the experience and the Falcon is proving to be a viable tech. Man to Mars - make it happen. Start with the Moon, get the technology tuned in and then go for it.
Old Feb 7th 2018, 2:29 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
There was
This pleases me.
Old Feb 7th 2018, 2:35 pm

On its way to the asteroid belt, I believe. Looks like the overshot the trajectory to send it to Mars. I wonder if the camera will still be active when it reaches the belt though, because I would love to see that feed.

Not sure if it will be 'coming down' as such, unless it's hit by an asteroid. Perhaps eventually the orbit will decay and it will fall toward the sun, but it's probably going to be sitting there for a billion years if it isn't impacted by something.

Seeing those two boosters landing was amazing. OK, they didn't get all three but holy crap - did anyone think back when the Space Shuttle was in its golden age, so to speak, that there would be privateers sending reusable rockets into space?

NASA and SpaceX should team up. NASA has the experience and the Falcon is proving to be a viable tech. Man to Mars - make it happen. Start with the Moon, get the technology tuned in and then go for it.
NASA are quoting 1Bil per launch (and are still 5 years out). SpaceX total dev costs (according to Musk) are right around .5 Bil total to date.

Edit to add... Are they planning on getting a cert for crewed flight on Falcon heavy? I THINK they want to skip that until Raptor(?) is flying. Could be wrong on that.
Old Feb 7th 2018, 2:37 pm
I have a comma problem

NASA are quoting 1Bil per launch (and are still 5 years out). SpaceX total dev costs (according to Musk) are right around .5 Bil total to date.
It's a no-brainer. I love NASA, don't get me wrong, I'd probably cry like a baby if I was in the mission control center the same way Josh Gates did on Expedition Unknown, but they need to get with the damn program here.
Old Feb 7th 2018, 2:40 pm
Yo

Apparently the big issue with Mars travel is solar radiation. But yeah, would be good if it happens within the next decade or two.
Old Feb 7th 2018, 2:44 pm
I have a comma problem

Apparently the big issue with Mars travel is solar radiation. But yeah, would be good if it happens within the next decade or two.
I did hear that too. I remember back when I was in school, it was supposed to be in 2020. Now I'll be lucky if I'm still alive by the time we ever get to Mars.
Old Feb 7th 2018, 3:01 pm

It's a no-brainer. I love NASA, don't get me wrong, I'd probably cry like a baby if I was in the mission control center the same way Josh Gates did on Expedition Unknown, but they need to get with the damn program here.
Too much pork.
Old Feb 7th 2018, 3:19 pm
Yo

I did hear that too. I remember back when I was in school, it was supposed to be in 2020. Now I'll be lucky if I'm still alive by the time we ever get to Mars.
Tell me about it. Mind you, at some point I'd be willing to make the one way trip (if asked). Some point soon!
Old Feb 7th 2018, 3:21 pm
I have a comma problem

Tell me about it. Mind you, at some point I'd be willing to make the one way trip (if asked). Some point soon!
You might have some company. Elon Musk apparently wants to die on Mars "just not on impact" ...
Old Feb 7th 2018, 3:30 pm

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.