Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Spaceships and astronomy

Spaceships and astronomy

Old Jan 19th 2016, 1:11 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spaceships and astronomy

Originally Posted by Boiler
Sadly my books are now long since gone nod oubt to Oxfam, sadly it was also a very long time ago. One of the few O Levels I liked.
With all the new discoveries being made, they'd have probably been out of date anyway. Even mine still considered Pluto a planet.

Though, one good thing about the information age is that all the information is now available in spades online. One of the things I love about NASA is they carry out these multi-billion dollar, years long missions, then put up images for free on their website. I could browse the Hubble Telescope archives for hours on end.
Old Jan 19th 2016, 1:12 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Even where I am if you look to the east you can see the low glow of the front range cities on the horizon.
Old Jan 19th 2016, 1:18 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Even where I am if you look to the east you can see the low glow of the front range cities on the horizon.
Yeah, you really have to get into the desert to get away from that. Altitude helps too, which is abundant in your neck of the woods.
Old Jan 19th 2016, 5:18 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

BBC iPlayer is now doing the latest series of "Stargazing" if you have access to it.

Also...planets tomorrow...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/scie...tial-show.html

Last edited by Shard; Jan 19th 2016 at 5:25 pm. Reason: Add link
Old Jan 20th 2016, 5:42 am
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Awesome experience seeing the space station pass overhead just before dark one evening while I was visiting friends who live on top of a mountain in Osoyoos BC
Old Jan 20th 2016, 8:03 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dc koop
Awesome experience seeing the space station pass overhead just before dark one evening while I was visiting friends who live on top of a mountain in Osoyoos BC
It's quite easy to see from most places. You can get an app (or sign up for emails) for when it passes over your location.

The thing that impresses me as I watch pass over the house and reach the Eastern horizon from (in UK) is that the craft by that point is already over Hungary.
Old Jan 20th 2016, 8:15 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markcst
When I moved over I had to sell my beautiful Meade SN-10 Telescope, but managed to bring over my sons Celestron NexStar 5. I'm waiting for the house sale to go through in the UK so I can purchase a new big beast of a Meade.

What have you? (Its an Astronomy thread so I thought I get all kit geeky!)
The night sky here in Morocco is the clearest I've ever seen, and I've been looking at (not through, sadly) something like a NexStar to bring out (would have to buy it in UK and lug it out here), but working long days I'm not sure I'd have the time to use it. Maybe just some big bins? Any recommendations?
Old Jan 20th 2016, 3:50 pm
I have a comma problem

Looks like this discussion has started up again:

Astronomers say a Neptune-sized planet lurks beyond Pluto | Science | AAAS

Not sure what to make of it myself, but it seems they have some kind of evidence for a Neptune-sized object in the outer solar system. Until they can get some telescopic evidence, I'm withholding judgement, myself.
Old Jan 20th 2016, 3:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Looks like this discussion has started up again:

Astronomers say a Neptune-sized planet lurks beyond Pluto | Science | AAAS

Not sure what to make of it myself, but it seems they have some kind of evidence for a Neptune-sized object in the outer solar system. Until they can get some telescopic evidence, I'm withholding judgement, myself.
Neptune is pretty big, one wonders how we could have missed it?

I'm sure crazies are already shouting NIBIRU!
Old Jan 20th 2016, 4:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
"pretty big" is not visible to the naked eye at all. It was 200 years after the introduction of the telescope it was found at all, and that was from mathematical analysis, and not direct observation.
Old Jan 20th 2016, 4:02 pm
I have a comma problem

In the article it says that it's closest approach is seven times farther out than Neptune (200AU) and that it's farthest point could range from 600-1,200AU. Previous searches were looking for objects about 2x Neptune's size at around 30AU.

I'm sure crazies are already shouting NIBIRU!
Yeah, that was my first thought as well.
Old Jan 20th 2016, 4:03 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Neptune is pretty big, one wonders how we could have missed it? .....
Neptune wasn't discovered until 1846, and IIRC the larger planet beyond Pluto is conjectured to be three times further away than Pluto. And it's dark, really really dark out there.

ETA I see the article suggests 20-40 times further out than Neptune!

I wonder if it is the fifth giant planet that was apparently ejected ftom the inner solar sysyem early on in the development of the solar system? .... I thought the theory was that that planet had been flung out at high dpeed and was now a number of lightyears from the solar system.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jan 20th 2016 at 4:09 pm.
Old Jan 20th 2016, 4:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
The night sky here in Morocco is the clearest I've ever seen, and I've been looking at (not through, sadly) something like a NexStar to bring out (would have to buy it in UK and lug it out here), but working long days I'm not sure I'd have the time to use it. Maybe just some big bins? Any recommendations?
Big bins are HEAVY. If you get some, get a stand like this, or make one.
DIY Tripod and Parallelogram Mount - ATM, Optics and DIY Forum - Cloudy Nights
Old Jan 20th 2016, 4:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
In the article it says that it's closest approach is seven times farther out than Neptune (200AU) and that it's farthest point could range from 600-1,200AU. Previous searches were looking for objects about 2x Neptune's size at around 30AU.
Yes well I replied before actually reading the article.

Yeah, that was my first thought as well.
Thanks Obama!
Old Jan 20th 2016, 4:33 pm
I have a comma problem

Yes well I replied before actually reading the article.
It was a pertinent question, because studies had been made in that 30AU region in the past. I thought they'd all but given up on the idea of Planet X until I saw that one. It'll be interesting to see how this all pans out, if any further discovery is made.

Thanks Obama!
I read a comment in the thread the article was linked to that they should name a planet, if discovered, Nibiru, just to mess with the tin hatters

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.