Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Southern California Schools

Southern California Schools

Old Mar 14th 2018, 9:56 pm
Just Joined

TraceyMcAlister has a reputation beyond reputeTraceyMcAlister has a reputation beyond reputeTraceyMcAlister has a reputation beyond reputeTraceyMcAlister has a reputation beyond reputeTraceyMcAlister has a reputation beyond reputeTraceyMcAlister has a reputation beyond reputeTraceyMcAlister has a reputation beyond reputeTraceyMcAlister has a reputation beyond reputeTraceyMcAlister has a reputation beyond reputeTraceyMcAlister has a reputation beyond reputeTraceyMcAlister has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Southern California Schools

Originally Posted by Havnfun
We lived in Mission Viejo when we first came to California. Watch the boundaries for attending Mission Viejo high school. The catchment area for that school is a portion of Mission Viejo and a portion of Rancho Santa Margarita.

Thank you!

What do you make of schools in Lake Forest? What district is that?
Old Mar 14th 2018, 10:03 pm
Just Joined

TraceyMcAlister has a reputation beyond reputeTraceyMcAlister has a reputation beyond reputeTraceyMcAlister has a reputation beyond reputeTraceyMcAlister has a reputation beyond reputeTraceyMcAlister has a reputation beyond reputeTraceyMcAlister has a reputation beyond reputeTraceyMcAlister has a reputation beyond reputeTraceyMcAlister has a reputation beyond reputeTraceyMcAlister has a reputation beyond reputeTraceyMcAlister has a reputation beyond reputeTraceyMcAlister has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeoffM
No.

Regarding the dyslexia, which I missed, that might affect your school choice as well. I have an autistic son which is different, of course, but he doesn't go to the local school because they don't have a special ed program beyond 3rd grade.

Regarding enrolling in June: you might have to wait until early August. Depends on the school district but we moved over a summer holiday once, but before the new school closed, and had to wait until the school admin offices re-opened about 2 weeks before the school opened. Different district but SoCal.

Thank you!! I really appreciate your knowledge! :-)

I had no idea how long things take. This is all new to me but we definetly won't be enrolling any children in school any time soon! My husband will most likely go without me and our children until I can sort out our visas. Atleast I'm not against the time trying to pack up a whole house etc!!
Old Mar 14th 2018, 10:05 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
I would suggest asking on this forum
Orange County Forum - Relocation, Moving, General and Local City Discussions - City-Data Forum

also - just as a way of sorting some possibilities - USNews does an annual high school rankings that might eliminate some for you. As a note of caution though, they look at college readiness and graduation rates which may not translate to a lot of support for your child with dyslexia but on the other hand, I know from the local rankings for me, the schools mentioned are good.
You are quite correct to choose the middle/high school so that you don't have to think about moving again and separating your children from their friends to get a better education.

Once you've looked at USNews, go to the school/district website and find the feeder schools for the middle and elementary.

https://www.usnews.com/education/bes...ame=california

Thank you!! :-)
Old Mar 14th 2018, 10:16 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Unless you have a criminal record or a drug habit it will likely be very easy for you to get an IR-1 visa, I believe the current reported time to get a CR-1 or IR-1 in London, if the US citizen sponsor is legal resident in the UK, is 4-6 months.

The IR-1 visa will lead automatically to a green card when you use the visa to enter the US. So you are applying for a visa, the green card comes later, on entry to the US. .... You will have green card status immediately, with a stamp in your passport, the actual physical green card will come 2-3 months later.

Neither you nor your children need to give up their British passports or citizenship, and indeed it would be quite difficult to do so, even if you wanted to.

Thats great!! So, hopefully it should be fairly straightforward for me. Thank you! :-)

I'm still so undecided on where to live for schools. I thought he would be working in Irvine but they've recently moved office to Corona. Wondering wether it may be better to move nearer to his work? I really like the sound of Mission Viejo but know he won't enjoy being stuck in loads of traffic. Also, not sure on schools in that area.

Think we need a proper trip out to explore the areas and schools and traffic. All I hear is that there's terrible traffic! Ha ha!
Old Mar 14th 2018, 10:24 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Boiler
Just time, is he moving first and you are following?
Yep! Not sure entirely when but they'd like him to begin work asap. No way me and the kids will be able to join him any time soon as I'll be left to pack a whole house up, sell our cars etc!! So much to sort out! I need to get this house in a fit state to let out. We want to keep this house until we've found our feet in the US. Not sure how we'll be affected when it comes to selling it. The plan is to initially rent. Needs to be dog friendly too! This is not going to be easy haha!!
Old Mar 14th 2018, 10:31 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Marc_ely
I'm not sure this will search properly but I'll try it:
https://www.greatschools.org/califor...Levels%5B%5D=e

There is quite a spread in rating. Like I said don't get too hung up on them but they are not all good.

Note that real estate websites like Trulia, Zillow and Redfin usually list assigned schools in the listings. They aren't always accurate though. I've seen some listing the good schools when they are actually allocated to bad schools (realtors are well... err... often conservative with the truth shall we say)

If you want any details of Mission Viejo specifically PM me and I'll help.
Thank you!! We are hoping to plan a trip soon! :-) I'll PM you now.
Old Mar 15th 2018, 12:27 am
Forum Regular

Havnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TraceyMcAlister
Thank you!

What do you make of schools in Lake Forest? What district is that?
Lake Forest is the Saddleback Valley school district. I think the schools are all pretty similar in Mission Viejo & Lake Forest.
Old Mar 15th 2018, 3:18 am
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

I thought he would be working in Irvine but they've recently moved office to Corona. Wondering wether it may be better to move nearer to his work? I really like the sound of Mission Viejo but know he won't enjoy being stuck in loads of traffic. Also, not sure on schools in that area.
Freeway traffic in Corona can be brutal, mainly aroiund the 15/91 interchange in all directions. Not so sure about local roads, though generally speaking local roads can get backed up if the queue to get on to the freeway extends beyond the ramp (slip road) - there are lots of ramps with traffic lights to limit flow joining the freeway.

Eastvale is just to the north of Corona. Houses are in the 400-500k range to buy (probably 2k-3k to rent) for a 4-bed. It's a much nicer area than Corona, is relatively new, but can suffer from densely packed houses within arms' reach of each other.

Temecula/Murrieta to the south is further away - though if the office is south Corona then probably not so much an issue. One of the safest pair of cities in the nation apparently, wine country (and beer), some great restaurants, very family oriented, and good schools.
Old Mar 15th 2018, 9:43 pm
Forum Regular

Havnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond reputeHavnfun has a reputation beyond repute

Thats great!! So, hopefully it should be fairly straightforward for me. Thank you! :-)

I'm still so undecided on where to live for schools. I thought he would be working in Irvine but they've recently moved office to Corona. Wondering wether it may be better to move nearer to his work? I really like the sound of Mission Viejo but know he won't enjoy being stuck in loads of traffic. Also, not sure on schools in that area.

Think we need a proper trip out to explore the areas and schools and traffic. All I hear is that there's terrible traffic! Ha ha!
If he is going to be working in Corona, Mission Viejo would not be a fun drive. Besides the fact it would take somewhere between 45 - 60 minutes each way there is also the cost of the toll road which I believe is about $6.00 each way as well. Unfortunately, I don't know Corona very well but I do know that housing is cheaper than in Mission Viejo.
Old Mar 15th 2018, 10:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

Chino Valley School District does have a good rap, but you would have to look at the individual schools. It is north of Corona, so would likely be a little bit of hassle on the freeways. I think there is quite a bit of rental property available as well, houses as well as condos. Chino Hills is a little bit more upscale than Chino.