Solar Eclipse

Old Aug 3rd 2017, 8:28 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Solar Eclipse

Originally Posted by mrken30
A great and free way to safely view a solar eclipse is with a mirror and a large blank wall.
Wow - this is a really good idea.

Ian
Old Aug 3rd 2017, 8:28 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steveq
True, but one thing which isn't being made clear is that AT TOTALITY you can remove the glasses !!
Correct!

Ian
Old Aug 4th 2017, 12:23 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
Just read this story

A great and free way to safely view a solar eclipse is with a mirror and a large blank wall. If you use a small mirror (about 4" across round or square) you can bounce the image of the sun onto the side of a building where everyone can view it. During the last solar eclipse in our area, I was working downtown and had gone outside with a bunch of co-workers to watch the eclipse. One of them had a small piece of glass from a welders mask. We were all passing it around looking at the sun waiting for the eclipse to start. When someone in the crowd whipped out a small makeup mirror and reflected the sun onto the side of the parking garage right next door. There was a beautiful full circle of sun about 8-10 feet across displayed on the building. As the eclipse progressed you could watch the "shape" of the sun change on the side of the garage. Over 200 people stood there and watched it. It was much more convenient and cheaper than everyone buying a pair of glasses or welding glass. here is a youtube video of someone projecting an eclipse onto a bedsheet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5j0t4NaJRE
Yes, thanks much for posting this, Mrken!!

We have family coming to visit at the time of the solar eclipse. (Which will be partial in our location.) I just dug out my round hand mirror and a white bedsheet that I'll clip to our clothesline out back.

Much easier and more fun for a group of people than trying to order a number of (hopefully safe) special specs & on the day keep them on the little ones' noses.
Old Aug 4th 2017, 1:04 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WEBlue
Yes, thanks much for posting this, Mrken!!

We have family coming to visit at the time of the solar eclipse. (Which will be partial in our location.) I just dug out my round hand mirror and a white bedsheet that I'll clip to our clothesline out back.

Much easier and more fun for a group of people than trying to order a number of (hopefully safe) special specs & on the day keep them on the little ones' noses.
to do this effectively, the screen (bedsheet) needs to be in deep shade, otherwise the contrast will be too low to see the image effectively. That's presumably why, in the video above, the sheet is on the far side of the road under a tree.
Old Aug 4th 2017, 1:18 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
to do this effectively, the screen (bedsheet) needs to be in deep shade, otherwise the contrast will be too low to see the image effectively. That's presumably why, in the video above, the sheet is on the far side of the road under a tree.
Excellent suggestion!! Thanks, I didn't realize that. I think I will test out this method today, just as soon as the laundry on my clothesline dries ....
Old Aug 13th 2017, 12:51 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Finally planned out my route. 3 days, 6 States with totality in the middle!

https://goo.gl/maps/cqiCYGFBiaF2
Old Aug 14th 2017, 2:02 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

One of the first things I looked up before I moved here was when the next eclipse might me. 'Oh, 2017 and it'll be visible from Illinois, isn't that lucky', I thought. Then I completely forgot about it until it was way too late to make travel arrangements.

However ...

Originally Posted by Pulaski
If you live just south of Carbondale, IL you will be on the centerline of the Eclipse this summer, and on the centreline of the one in 2024.
I'll try and be more prepared in 7 years

That being said, we should get close to 90% totality up here, so I'll still get to observe a crescent sun, which is still pretty cool.
Old Aug 14th 2017, 2:09 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
One of the first things I looked up before I moved here was when the next eclipse might me. 'Oh, 2017 and it'll be visible from Illinois, isn't that lucky', I thought. Then I completely forgot about it until it was way too late to make travel arrangements.

However ...

I'll try and be more prepared in 7 years
Set a reminder on your phone. Then remember to transfer it to your next phone, and possibly the phone after that.
Old Aug 14th 2017, 2:19 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Set a reminder on your phone. Then remember to transfer it to your next phone, and possibly the phone after that.
I have an Android, so when I set reminders, it goes on my Google calendar, so I'd not need to transfer it
Old Aug 14th 2017, 2:21 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I have an Android, so when I set reminders, it goes on my Google calendar, so I'd not need to transfer it
I've never looked at my Google calendar.
Old Aug 14th 2017, 2:22 pm
I have a comma problem

That's the good thing about setting reminders, it means you never actually have to look at it.
Old Aug 14th 2017, 2:32 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

That's the good thing about setting reminders, it means you never actually have to look at it.
A few hours beforehand I got a reminder for the concert I attended eight days ago, together with a suggested route, a report of traffic conditions, and an estimate of the journey time, courtesy of Google .... despite having never put the concert in any calendar. ..... It is clear that Google is reading my email!
Old Aug 14th 2017, 2:36 pm
I have a comma problem

A few hours beforehand I got a reminder for the concert I attended eight days ago, together with a suggested route, a report of traffic conditions, and an estimate of the journey time, courtesy of Google .... despite having never put the concert in any calendar. ..... It is clear that Google is reading my email!
That's kind of handy though. I never got any kind of reminder for the last concert I went to, other than an email from Ticketmaster. I guess Google's too busy reading your emails to bother with mine.

Not that I needed directions to the railway station a mile from my house, of course.
Old Aug 14th 2017, 2:44 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

That's kind of handy though. I never got any kind of reminder for the last concert I went to, other than an email from Ticketmaster. I guess Google's too busy reading your emails to bother with mine.

Not that I needed directions to the railway station a mile from my house, of course.
I am waiting to see if I get a reminder for the concert I am going to this evening, and what sort sort of reminder I might get for the one next week, which is 4+ hours from Pulaski Manor, and far enough away that flying would be an acceptable strategy for getting there.
Old Aug 14th 2017, 2:49 pm
I have a comma problem

I am waiting to see if I get a reminder for the concert I am going to this evening, and what sort sort of reminder I might get for the one next week, which is 4+ hours from Pulaski Manor, and far enough away that flying would be an acceptable strategy for getting there.
Depending on the concert, often a plane ticket is cheaper than the price of admission to the gig

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.