Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

So, who has a boat and do you use it?

So, who has a boat and do you use it?

Old Jan 17th 2017, 4:44 pm
Forum Regular

Just_Joy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: So, who has a boat and do you use it?

I think the boat cost around $180,000
Ouch!! I think we paid around $6000. I googled some pictures so now I'm thinking it may have only been 21' .......... you know have we women are on size, guys have been telling us for years things are bigger than they really are
Fish, I'm talking about fish! Fishermen always exaggerate the size of the fish they catch
Old Jan 17th 2017, 5:13 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_I
We had a 28ft cabin cruiser in England that really only got used as an apartment, so we could eat and drink as much as we wanted in the marina bars!
You found the best use for a boat: A floating crash pad with a view, located a few feet from the shore.
Old Jan 17th 2017, 5:16 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Just_Joy
Ouch!! I think we paid around $6000. I googled some pictures so now I'm thinking it may have only been 21' ....
Even twenty years ago, if you paid $6,000 the boat must have been junk. .... Or your husband wasn't entirely honest about what he paid for it.
Old Jan 17th 2017, 6:08 pm
Forum Regular

Even twenty years ago, if you paid $6,000 the boat must have been junk. .... Or your husband wasn't entirely honest about what he paid for it.
The boat was in great shape it was the motor that had seen better days. The 3 guys that had owned it used to do a lot of tournament fishing and they had bought a bigger boat. This had been sitting for about a year and they dropped the price. It ran great the first summer we owned it, then the problems started. We learned an expensive lesson. My ex was not honest about a lot of things but I know how much he paid for the boat. Why would you assume $6000 meant it was junk? Did you shop for a center console fishing boat in the early 90's.
Old Jan 17th 2017, 6:37 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

The boat was in great shape it was the motor that had seen better days. The 3 guys that had owned it used to do a lot of tournament fishing and they had bought a bigger boat. This had been sitting for about a year and they dropped the price. It ran great the first summer we owned it, then the problems started. We learned an expensive lesson. My ex was not honest about a lot of things but I know how much he paid for the boat. Why would you assume $6000 meant it was junk? Did you shop for a center console fishing boat in the early 90's.
Because that's almost throw-away money. If it was seaworthy then the hull alone should have been worth more than $6,000, .... unless it was old and in generally poor shape. Or maybe you just got the deal of the century!

BTW, please can you leave the opening part of the post when you quote somebody (maybe you aren't using the "Quote" button visible in the bottom right corner of every post), so we can see who you quoted and have access to the link back to the post you're quoting. .... Notice how my quote of you features your name and a small blue square, which is the link back to your post, whereas your quote of my post is "naked" - has no attrubution or link. Thank you.
Old Jan 17th 2017, 7:51 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Because that's almost throw-away money. If it was seaworthy then the hull alone should have been worth more than $6,000, .... unless it was old and in generally poor shape. Or maybe you just got the deal of the century!

BTW, please can you leave the opening part of the post when you quote somebody (maybe you aren't using the "Quote" button visible in the bottom right corner of every post), so we can see who you quoted and have access to the link back to the post you're quoting. .... Notice how my quote of you features your name and a small blue square, which is the link back to your post, whereas your quote of my post is "naked" - has no attrubution or link. Thank you.
I usually only quote the part of the post I am specifically responding to using the "quote" button visible at the top. It avoids unnecessarily long posts and has been sufficient on other boards I have subscribed to. Since this is a problem for you I won't quote you again.
Old Jan 17th 2017, 7:53 pm

I usually only quote the part of the post I am specifically responding to using the "quote" button visible at the top. It avoids unnecessarily long posts .....
So delete the bit that you're not interested in. See above example.
Old Jan 17th 2017, 7:53 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I usually only quote the part of the post I am specifically responding to using the "quote" button visible at the top. It avoids unnecessarily long posts and has been sufficient on other boards I have subscribed to. Since this is a problem for you I won't quote you again.
Pulaski is correct. It is not just a problem for Mr P...but also for anyone reading your reply. By all means edit out part of the text quoted but it really does help if we can see the username of the person you are replying to. Thanks.
Old Jan 17th 2017, 8:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek
The Connecticut river. The bottom half of the yard floods seasonally, but there is a considerable difference in elevation from there to the house so no possibility of it becoming a problem for us.
w

It looks great. Probably a real plus for your home value being on the river also.