Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

so, how does your FB data get used?

so, how does your FB data get used?

Old Jan 30th 2017, 10:42 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: so, how does your FB data get used?

Originally Posted by Nutek
You have to assume that every single thing you put online can be / will be / is data mined and sold to anybody willing to pay.

FB is probably the worst of the bunch, simply due to the sheer quantity of "personal" crap that people stick up there.
Companies like Amazon aren't far behind, though they are as likely to be a customer as a provider I suppose.

[Edit] Meant to add... No FB for me, thankfully.
No FB for me either. I've never seen the point and never felt that I was missing anything. Plus, I always knew it would all end in tears.
Old Jan 30th 2017, 10:45 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
There's just one problem Thinbrit.
Facebook tells the world that it is a technology platform, not a media platform. So I agree, if I go to a media site then I expect that I will see a particular point of view. FoxNews anyone? I would expect there to be ads on that site that support the views of that site. Media platforms are subject to laws on what they publish.
Technology platforms aren't.

Zuckerberg initially insisted that FB was a technology platform and so exempt from those laws but started saying something rather different late December. Now apparently, FB is a "new type of media platform".

further reading people
https://techcrunch.com/2016/12/21/fbonc/
I don't mind the targeted ads. They suck but it's SOP. What I can't abide is the fake news and Facebook was rife with it.

I remember back when Facebook was clutching pearls over whether they should even allow ads as it would sully the purity of their precious platform. Seems quaint now.

Zuckerberg is now, and always has been, a selfish and sociopathic prick.
Old Jan 30th 2017, 10:47 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

There's just one problem Thinbrit.
Facebook tells the world that it is a technology platform, not a media platform. So I agree, if I go to a media site then I expect that I will see a particular point of view. FoxNews anyone? ....
No thanks, that's crap journalism. I don't watch the TV channel (see above), and maybe look at the web site once or twice a year, usually on to confirm that the news coverage is still crap!
... I would expect there to be ads on that site that support the views of that site. ....
What! Why? I treat all ads as BS. Problem solved.
Old Jan 31st 2017, 7:40 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

One thing about this whole model whereby Cambridge Analytica etc. have an accurate profile of the majority of adult Americans.

Don't most people "like" on FB and similar platforms, either jokingly or ironically, at least some of the time? For instance back in 2008 I "liked" Sarah Palin just to add to the false inflation of her ego etc. Ever since, the Republican Party has been sending me letters & questionnaires by first class mail since I'm one of their most valuable supporters etc. Also, now in England, I "like" every tearoom within twenty miles of here, even if I've only visited it once. So as far as Cambridge Analytica knows, I'm a right wing sweet toothed glutton (which of course is far from the truth.)
Old Jan 31st 2017, 8:19 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
One thing about this whole model whereby Cambridge Analytica etc. have an accurate profile of the majority of adult Americans.

Don't most people "like" on FB and similar platforms, either jokingly or ironically, at least some of the time? For instance back in 2008 I "liked" Sarah Palin just to add to the false inflation of her ego etc. Ever since, the Republican Party has been sending me letters & questionnaires by first class mail since I'm one of their most valuable supporters etc. Also, now in England, I "like" every tearoom within twenty miles of here, even if I've only visited it once. So as far as Cambridge Analytica knows, I'm a right wing sweet toothed glutton (which of course is far from the truth.)
I've never had anything through the post after 'liking' something. I occasionally get 'you might like' suggestions on FB but they either get ignored or get hit with the 'never see this again'. Anything other than usual news feed gets shut out. I never click on 'trending', if I could get shot of that like the adverts, I'd do it in a second. If I click on something and it tells me to log in I close it. No one tags me without asking first. No idea if I get singled out for stuff, it would get a 'no thanks' anyway.
Old Jan 31st 2017, 1:56 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Today, on my post on FB I have made 1 deliberate reference to testicular cancer. I've used some "rules" on adblock to block the side ads but I'm still getting "suggested posts". These are the "dark posts" referred to in the articles above. Since FB has decided that it is a technology platform and not a media platform then it does not have to conform to any of the legal obligations of magazines, radio stations etc. You know, where if a medicine is advertised you get all those obligatory warnings.

The dark posts are there one minute and gone the next, aimed at tiny groups of people, the Trump people used this technique to create fear and to show Trump as the saviour. Oh, it seems so obvious doesn't it? It's propaganda technique and done so subtly and with no oversight I bet most of you didn't even realise what you were seeing as you skimmed over it.
Trump has said that he gives people what they want and he does, even if the message seems to change from one minute to the next, it's not the work of a madman, it's the work of a massive organisation with all the experience and knowledge of how to carry it out. Trump gave people what they wanted - subtly and on a very deep level. I find it utterly terrifying that a President cannot stand with integrity on what they believe but will give the lowest common denominator what they want.
Old Jan 31st 2017, 1:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Today, on my post on FB I have made 1 deliberate reference to testicular cancer. I've used some "rules" on adblock to block the side ads but I'm still getting "suggested posts". These are the "dark posts" referred to in the articles above. Since FB has decided that it is a technology platform and not a media platform then it does not have to conform to any of the legal obligations of magazines, radio stations etc. You know, where if a medicine is advertised you get all those obligatory warnings.

The dark posts are there one minute and gone the next, aimed at tiny groups of people, the Trump people used this technique to create fear and to show Trump as the saviour. Oh, it seems so obvious doesn't it? It's propaganda technique and done so subtly and with no oversight I bet most of you didn't even realise what you were seeing as you skimmed over it.
Trump has said that he gives people what they want and he does, even if the message seems to change from one minute to the next, it's not the work of a madman, it's the work of a massive organisation with all the experience and knowledge of how to carry it out. Trump gave people what they wanted - subtly and on a very deep level. I find it utterly terrifying that a President cannot stand with integrity on what they believe but will give the lowest common denominator what they want.
This is starting to read like a conspiracy theory.
Old Jan 31st 2017, 2:00 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

cannot stand with integrity on what they believe but will give the lowest common denominator what they want.
Every politician ever.
Old Jan 31st 2017, 2:01 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tom169
This is starting to read like a conspiracy theory.
You know, if you just looked at Cambridge Analytica's website you will see written on there what I just wrote. They are crowing about it, lapping it up. An old Etonian laughing at the ignorant masses. Google the company and see what comes up.
Old Jan 31st 2017, 2:03 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

.... I find it utterly terrifying that a President cannot stand with integrity on what they believe .....
You still don't get it, do you, he did stand on what he believes. In fact he was the first presidential candidate in a number of years who stood on what he believes, not what he/she thinks will get him enough votes to win.

What has upset you and others is obviously that what Donald Trump believes doesn't overlap much with what you believe. ..... Welcome to the world that many Americans have been living in for the past 25+ years.
.... but will give the lowest common denominator what they want.
So you think almost half the electorate are the "lowest common denominator"? .... Isn't that pretty much what Hillary said last September?

Last edited by Pulaski; Jan 31st 2017 at 2:37 pm.
Old Mar 27th 2017, 2:55 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

I know this thread is old now, but this article in the most recent issue of the New Yorker sort of carries on the same story.

The Reclusive Hedge-Fund Tycoon Behind the Trump Presidency - The New Yorker

It focuses on Robert Mercer and his daughter Rebekah Mercer. Robert Mercer is a major investor in Cambridge Analytica, the outfit that is profiled in the link from Motherboard, in the original post in this thread.

Robert Mercer has some odd opinions.

(I'll post this now and get back later as I need to attend to something in the kitchen..)
Old Mar 27th 2017, 3:03 pm
Austin. TX.

FB's future plans are being announced - tv programs, news stations. I wonder when FB will be forced to admit that it is a media organisation and be bound by the national rules concerning media outlets instead of stamping it's foot and claiming it's still a technology platform?

My FB friends continue to do those spurious online "what is your favourite food etc" quizzes that actually just feed their information directly to cambridge analytica.
Old Mar 27th 2017, 3:04 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
his daughter Rebekah Mercer)
Never give your kid a name you can't spell correctly.
Old Mar 27th 2017, 4:14 pm
Heading for Poppyland

Originally Posted by Nutek
Never give your kid a name you can't spell correctly.
Woman Named Fellony Arrested On Felony Battery Charge Following Bloody Indiana Bar Attack | The Smoking Gun
Old Mar 27th 2017, 4:15 pm

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.