Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

so, how does your FB data get used?

so, how does your FB data get used?

Old Mar 22nd 2018, 2:34 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: so, how does your FB data get used?

FB are having sanctions and controls threatened in the UK and the EU now.

In terms of using FB for political electioneering I believe that Fb should be held to the same standards as other media. FB seems to think that just because money will buy an election in the USA then it is ok for this attitude to be applied elsewhere, that somehow FB does not have to conform to the laws of each country. If the UK press had published the utter garbage that FB had allowed then the Press Complaints Commission and the advertising standards authority would have had a field day.

Anyway
How to delete your private Facebook data without deleting your account – BGR
Old Mar 22nd 2018, 2:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
FB are having sanctions and controls threatened in the UK and the EU now.

In terms of using FB for political electioneering I believe that Fb should be held to the same standards as other media. FB seems to think that just because money will buy an election in the USA then it is ok for this attitude to be applied elsewhere, that somehow FB does not have to conform to the laws of each country. If the UK press had published the utter garbage that FB had allowed then the Press Complaints Commission and the advertising standards authority would have had a field day.

Anyway
How to delete your private Facebook data without deleting your account – BGR
It is exactly the same as Uber. I do not know if it is due to ignorance or an arrogant disregard of their responsibilities in other countries.
Old Mar 27th 2018, 4:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Lets wait to hear what Canada's position is on this.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/techn...oof/ar-BBKIWK3
Old Nov 20th 2018, 4:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Resurrecting this old thread to share an article I read this week. I stumbled across this article while reading about other stuff. I personally think the danger of Facebook is very underestimated. The people running the show there are not interested in spending too much time curbing these dangers, and they are fighting against regulation.

https://qz.com/1189960/george-soros-...goog-at-davos/

Buried in the article is this interesting comment about monopoly behavior:

They claim they are merely distributing information. But the fact that they are near-monopoly distributors makes them public utilities and should subject them to more stringent regulations, aimed at preserving competition, innovation, and fair and open universal access.
I think we'll see this line pursued in the near future.
Old Nov 21st 2018, 3:49 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Resurrecting this old thread to share an article I read this week. I stumbled across this article while reading about other stuff. I personally think the danger of Facebook is very underestimated. The people running the show there are not interested in spending too much time curbing these dangers, and they are fighting against regulation.

https://qz.com/1189960/george-soros-...goog-at-davos/

Buried in the article is this interesting comment about monopoly behavior:

I think we'll see this line pursued in the near future.
My only quibble with this article, "public utility" or "near monopoly" would usualy refer to some essential service, electricity, public transport, internet access etc. Facebook is completely and utterly inessential. There is nothing it provides that cannot be obtained elsewhere, eg. email, search engine, online news sources etc.
Old Nov 21st 2018, 7:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
My only quibble with this article, "public utility" or "near monopoly" would usualy refer to some essential service, electricity, public transport, internet access etc. Facebook is completely and utterly inessential. There is nothing it provides that cannot be obtained elsewhere, eg. email, search engine, online news sources etc.
Honestly, and I don't say this with any disrespect, I believe this opinion to be very naive. Facebook has become a dominant force in people's lives. The person who started this thread (petitefrancaise) has (I believe) indicated that she hates it but cannot give it up.

More and more, people are relying on Facebook, Twitter, and other 'platforms' for their news: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKCN1BJ2A8 .

Businesses are relying more and more on FB to be their 'storefront' and their 'identity'. I've been working with several small businesses (in my role as an IT guy) and they no longer feel the need to build their own website; they are putting their money (creative energy and advertising dollars) into facebook pages instead (they typically do have their own websites, but are no longer bothering to enhance / maintain them). ETA: A small real estate firm I work with - less than 10 employees - now has a full-time 'social media' person who does nothing but work on FB/Twitter for them.

Note - FB itself may go the way of the dinosaur or the dodo, but the 'concept' of a social media platform is what I'm saying has become essential (in the same way, 'Duke Power' or 'Pacific Gas and Electricity' may die, but the need for a power-generation utility won't go away).

I recall with some amusement that I used to think 'search engines' were trivial and unessential, and couldn't understand what all the fuss was about Google (and believed they would never make money!). I would now say that Google (or more to the point in this context, a 'search engine') is a truly essential part of my life.

As I think I mentioned earlier, I don't use FB at all (*) and hate it with a passion; and as someone in his late 50s, it's never been a part of my life so my argument here is not based on my own experience, but on observation of the world around me. (*) - it is the only way I can communicate with my young nieces, so I do go in there every few months to send/receive messages. I'm always shocked and appalled at what I see while there!

Edit To Add: while there is nothing unique about FB (to your comment "There is nothing it provides that cannot be obtained elsewhere, eg. email, search engine, online news sources etc."), the point here is that these platforms intentionally do not 'inter-operate', and thus, you can't just go to 'competitor platform 'x', and communicate with someone on FB; FB thrives on having a near-monopoly due to the way anyone who wants to 'play' has to be on the same platform.

Last edited by Steerpike; Nov 21st 2018 at 7:26 pm.
Old Nov 21st 2018, 7:09 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

According to people I know with experience of China, FB would love to be the western equivalent of wechat. Now, that should scare the pants off everyone.
As far as I can see/read, FB is always reacting to problems and not getting ahead of them. EU might well force /google/FB to be broken up.
Old Nov 21st 2018, 10:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

According to people I know with experience of China, FB would love to be the western equivalent of wechat. Now, that should scare the pants off everyone.
As far as I can see/read, FB is always reacting to problems and not getting ahead of them. EU might well force /google/FB to be broken up.
Lol... Force...
Old Nov 22nd 2018, 12:37 am
BE Forum Addict

steveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond reputesteveq has a reputation beyond repute

EU might well force /google/FB to be broken up.
How ? They are American companies. They might be banned from operating in the EU, but that's probably the limit, until the American authorities decide to do it. Historically the Americans have been very good at attacking monopolies.
Old Nov 22nd 2018, 1:32 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

What all does FB have to be broken up?

Not familiar with their company other then their website.

I could Amazon at some point being broken up, but easier for me to visualize how they could be broken up, but Facebook I am struggling with.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Nov 22nd 2018 at 1:36 am.
Old Nov 22nd 2018, 1:39 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Honestly, and I don't say this with any disrespect, I believe this opinion to be very naive. Facebook has become a dominant force in people's lives. The person who started this thread (petitefrancaise) has (I believe) indicated that she hates it but cannot give it up.

More and more, people are relying on Facebook, Twitter, and other 'platforms' for their news: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKCN1BJ2A8 .

Businesses are relying more and more on FB to be their 'storefront' and their 'identity'. I've been working with several small businesses (in my role as an IT guy) and they no longer feel the need to build their own website; they are putting their money (creative energy and advertising dollars) into facebook pages instead (they typically do have their own websites, but are no longer bothering to enhance / maintain them). ETA: A small real estate firm I work with - less than 10 employees - now has a full-time 'social media' person who does nothing but work on FB/Twitter for them.

Note - FB itself may go the way of the dinosaur or the dodo, but the 'concept' of a social media platform is what I'm saying has become essential (in the same way, 'Duke Power' or 'Pacific Gas and Electricity' may die, but the need for a power-generation utility won't go away).

I recall with some amusement that I used to think 'search engines' were trivial and unessential, and couldn't understand what all the fuss was about Google (and believed they would never make money!). I would now say that Google (or more to the point in this context, a 'search engine') is a truly essential part of my life.

As I think I mentioned earlier, I don't use FB at all (*) and hate it with a passion; and as someone in his late 50s, it's never been a part of my life so my argument here is not based on my own experience, but on observation of the world around me. (*) - it is the only way I can communicate with my young nieces, so I do go in there every few months to send/receive messages. I'm always shocked and appalled at what I see while there!

Edit To Add: while there is nothing unique about FB (to your comment "There is nothing it provides that cannot be obtained elsewhere, eg. email, search engine, online news sources etc."), the point here is that these platforms intentionally do not 'inter-operate', and thus, you can't just go to 'competitor platform 'x', and communicate with someone on FB; FB thrives on having a near-monopoly due to the way anyone who wants to 'play' has to be on the same platform.
OK, but nothing you have said makes it look like Facebook is an essential public utility. Everyone can live without it. Yes, a lot of businesses use Facebook rather than building and maintaining a website. Again, not essential to any potential customers.
Old Nov 29th 2018, 7:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wow - just read this fascinating article, which has references to FB - https://www.politico.com/magazine/st...-rights-222689
I had no idea that the technology was at this point of development. This is quite chilling.
Extract:
In 2017, young, liberal activists in the United Kingdom used bots on Tinder to promote Labour candidates in tight races. The bots—posing as a human being—would engage a person in flirty conversation before turning the talk to politics and candidates to whom many young people would otherwise not even pay attention. According to news reports, the bots sent 30,000 to 40,000 messages. Labour netted a surprising 30 seats in Parliament.
The article discusses many thought-provoking aspects of free speech, the right of silence (no disclosure), and others.
Old Dec 19th 2018, 5:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

News today - https://www.politico.com/story/2018/...-rules-1039884
The New York Times published a lengthy investigation Tuesday night outlining data-sharing agreements between Facebook and some of the country's most popular consumer technology companies, including Amazon, Microsoft, Google, Netflix and Spotify.

Among the eye-popping details in the story: Facebook granted Netflix and Spotify the ability to read users' private messages, and maintained agreements to trade data with Huawei and Yandex, companies whose connections to the Chinese and Russian governments, respectively, have raised national security concerns.
The new revelations were especially galling to lawmakers after Zuckerberg, the Facebook CEO, spent two days this spring testifying to Congress that his company is not in the business of selling users' data. He asserted that Facebook gives users control over how their data is used and whether to erase it, and pledged that the company would make privacy settings easier to understand.
Old Dec 29th 2018, 5:30 pm
Austin. TX.

sitting at breakfast this morning with DD (software engineer) and mentioning that FB keeps suggesting some of my clients for FB friends and I ask her why this is happening. I don't have FB or FB messenger on my cell phone, only on my home pc. I don't use FB messenger ever to contact these people. I was beginning to think that FB was somehow able to access my gmail information.
Answering her questions:
no fb contacts in common
no interests in common
I haven't looked them up on FB
never sent them messages through FB messenger

Then I mention that I use Whatsapp but only for international arrivals, I use regular text messaging for the domestic clients. Bingo. It seems that having whatsapp on my phone ( an FB owned company) means that not only are they sharing whatsapp data with FB but also they have the capability to read my regular text messages. Hence the strange friend suggestions.
DD recommends I switch to Telegraph or Signal. Strangely enough, I have recently been working with some people from a country where they should be scared of big brother and they have all been reluctant to use whatsapp, also asking for signal instead.
Old Dec 30th 2018, 2:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

This has been happening for a while. You used to be able to opt out of sharing

https://www-cnet-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.cnet.com/google-amp/news/how-to-stop-whatsapp-from-sharing-your-information-with-facebook

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.