Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Sneaky ways for ICE to get rid of 'undesirables'

Sneaky ways for ICE to get rid of 'undesirables'

Old Oct 26th 2017, 7:23 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sneaky ways for ICE to get rid of 'undesirables'

Up here in Saskatchewan pretty much any insurance office does the DMV job, you never have to wait long if at all, they're nice, and the one closest to me always has a bowl of candies or mints on the counter. Our auto insurance is a Crown Corporation, comrade. :-)
Old Oct 27th 2017, 12:19 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, taking off my dental hat and putting on my "relocation" hat...
I got an update from one of the mobility companies about this very subject. DMV's are generally being told to up their game on checking identities and lawful presence, especially in States where the driving license is also the ID card.

So peeps, expect the whole process to become less user friendly towards those of us who are not USC
Old Oct 27th 2017, 8:20 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rpjs
Just been to the NYS DMV in Yonkers to renew my license and upgrade it to an Enhanced license (just paranoid about not having evidence of my status on me now that I've returned my GC to USCIS). The initial part; checking docs, sight test and photo was a breeze, took about five minutes. Then I had to wait over an hour to be called to another window to pay for it all!

No wonder Americans are suspicious of the concept of government-run healthcare.

(I also went to the SSA a few blocks away to update my social security record. I lied to the security guard that I was resident in Yonkers - the actual clerk just wanted to verify I lived in Westchester County - and I got everything done and dusted in about ten minutes.)

OT: Did you take in the day lighting of the Saw Mill/Nepperhan River and the park there? Should have stopped at the pier behind the railroad station for lunch at either X2O or Dolphins or at least the Yonkers Brewery (heard good things about it but never been). Glad you did okay at the SS office. That's the one that threatened to throw me and hubby out back in 1998. White Plains was much easier to work with.
Old Oct 28th 2017, 1:11 am
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
OT: Did you take in the day lighting of the Saw Mill/Nepperhan River and the park there? Should have stopped at the pier behind the railroad station for lunch at either X2O or Dolphins or at least the Yonkers Brewery (heard good things about it but never been). Glad you did okay at the SS office. That's the one that threatened to throw me and hubby out back in 1998. White Plains was much easier to work with.
Actually I did it on the way into work, fortunately my employer is very decentralized and teams self-organize so everyone was cool about me getting in late!