Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Sneaky ways for ICE to get rid of 'undesirables'

Sneaky ways for ICE to get rid of 'undesirables'

Old Oct 16th 2017, 9:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute
Default Sneaky ways for ICE to get rid of 'undesirables'

I am not amused! For some while now I have tried on various occasions to update my driving licence online, change of address. I always seem to come up short somewhere and the whole system chuck's me out, it's been getting right on my wick.
Today I managed to finish early so I thought I'd just pop down to one of the county tax collectors offices and sort it out in person, they're usually fairly laid back about white furriners. Anyhows, the girl behind the desk cops an earful of my accent and, unprompted, thrusts a sheet of paperwork in my direction and says fill this in.
Said paperwork basically consists of three checkboxes, are you a USC (we can serve you), are you a naturalised citizen ( we can serve you too but obviously we'd like to highlight the fact that you weren't born here!) and third one was any other person ( you have to make an appointment in advance at the county issuing office, presumably so that we can let ICE know just in case you're one of the great unwashed!)

'Oh', says I, 'I've never been to that office because they always advertised restricted minimal services', 'ah', says she, 'it all changed at the beginning of the year'.

So now, this schmuck immigrant has to go cap in hand to his boss and ask for time off to update his licence and tag and then go ask him for yet more time off when USCIS decide to interview me for Removal of Conditions/ biometrics.

And then they wonder why so many undocumented persons are unlicensed and uninsured.
Old Oct 16th 2017, 10:13 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sneaky ways for ICE to get rid of 'undesirables'

Originally Posted by zzrmark
.... And then they wonder why so many undocumented persons are unlicensed and uninsured. ....
Not really, it's because they are undocumented. The process you described doesn't apply if you aren't in the country legally.
Old Oct 17th 2017, 12:53 am
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Not really, it's because they are undocumented. The process you described doesn't apply if you aren't in the country legally.
Yeah, silly me, Florida isn't one or the enlightened States that issue licenses to illegals. They'll continue to drive unlicensed and uninsured and have no avenue to protect themselves from drunk, texting, white Floridians.
Old Oct 17th 2017, 12:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

"cops an earful of my accent" - I think you are chasing ghosts.

Especially if you think anything associated with the DMV has ever been helpful to anyone, regardless of nationality.
Old Oct 17th 2017, 12:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, I've just re-read the title of this post.

Seriously. Put away the ghost-chasing equipment.
Old Oct 17th 2017, 1:50 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zzrmark
Yeah, silly me, Florida isn't one or the enlightened States that issue licenses to illegals. They'll continue to drive unlicensed and uninsured and have no avenue to protect themselves from drunk, texting, white Floridians.

What avenue to protect themselves from drunk or texting white Floridians do white Floridians have? Your auto registration or driver's license doesn't protect you from them, regardless of the driver's race or nationality or legal status, nor does your auto insurance policy.

I understand why you are angry. But why be angry at the local government for having laws regarding driver licensing?
Old Oct 17th 2017, 2:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond reputeAnian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carcajou
Especially if you think anything associated with the DMV has ever been helpful to anyone, regardless of nationality.
The DMV in Washington State has always been good to me. Avoid peak times and it isn't bad at all. My only complaint is that they don't advertise that they charge extra for using credit/debit cards.
Old Oct 17th 2017, 3:55 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Anian
The DMV in Washington State has always been good to me. Avoid peak times and it isn't bad at all. My only complaint is that they don't advertise that they charge extra for using credit/debit cards.
Wow, "good" to you? I've lived in two states & have never ever had a "good" DMV experience. At best it's a long, long wait, with minimal errors resulting... At worst, it's an unbearably long wait--wasting most of a day in fact--with no success resulting, and thus necessitating yet another DMV visit in the future.

As example, my most recent DMV experience two weeks ago. At home in advance I had printed off & filled in all my paperwork for drivers licence renewal, collected all my evidence of signature & address, then arrived at the DMV office mid-weekday morning, which should be off-peak but was told it would be a wait because they were "short-handed" that day. So I waited 2 hours to turn in my application, pointed out a minor change (my height) in the DL information & went home to wait for the renewed drivers licence to be posted to me. Received the new DL yesterday, & the height is ... of course ... incorrect.
Old Oct 17th 2017, 4:16 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WEBlue
Wow, "good" to you? I've lived in two states & have never ever had a "good" DMV experience. At best it's a long, long wait, with minimal errors resulting... At worst, it's an unbearably long wait--wasting most of a day in fact--with no success resulting, and thus necessitating yet another DMV visit in the future.

As example, my most recent DMV experience two weeks ago. At home in advance I had printed off & filled in all my paperwork for drivers licence renewal, collected all my evidence of signature & address, then arrived at the DMV office mid-weekday morning, which should be off-peak but was told it would be a wait because they were "short-handed" that day. So I waited 2 hours to turn in my application, pointed out a minor change (my height) in the DL information & went home to wait for the renewed drivers licence to be posted to me. Received the new DL yesterday, & the height is ... of course ... incorrect.
Is there a AAA office near you? Many of them handle license renewals in CT, and I was in and out in ten minutes last time.
Old Oct 17th 2017, 4:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Anian
My experience too here in GA. No complaints at all.
Old Oct 17th 2017, 4:58 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Is there a AAA office near you? Many of them handle license renewals in CT, and I was in and out in ten minutes last time.
I'm not sure.... I thought AAA was a private car insurance/travel company with services for members only?

Modified to add: Hmmm, I see via Google that certain AAA offices all across the US will do license renewals for US citizens who are not members. It varies by state. Interesting!
Old Oct 17th 2017, 5:53 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WEBlue
I'm not sure.... I thought AAA was a private car insurance/travel company with services for members only?

Modified to add: Hmmm, I see via Google that certain AAA offices all across the US will do license renewals for US citizens who are not members. It varies by state. Interesting!

No, anyone can go there (I'm not a member). There are these options:

DMV: AAA Office Locations
Old Oct 18th 2017, 5:41 am
BE Forum Addict

My experiences have always been negative. Waiting hours on end, having appointments re-scheduled on no notice and then booked again for a month in the future etc.

Washington State was a bit better for me but only slightly . . .

There is a reason the Simpsons parodied them so brutally. It's funny because it's true, and the general public have that perception of how the DMV operates not without reason.
Old Oct 18th 2017, 2:20 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Can add Colorado to DMV which has a very bad rep.
Old Oct 18th 2017, 5:56 pm
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

I call the DMV or make an appointment on line. On the day and time I go to the counter dealing with pre-appointments get checked in, do the eye sight test, receive the written test papers for license renewal, finish the test, back to the counter, passed.... okay... get a mug shot and then go home . License comes in the mail about one week to ten days later.

One would think that California with it's large population would have one of the worst DMVs but no, always worked pretty well for me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.