British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   Sling TV (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/sling-tv-903968/)

BenK91 Sep 29th 2017 3:49 am

Sling TV

Does anyone on here use this? Is it flakey? Good support etc?

Thinking of giving it a try as it’s supported on our AppleTV and $20 a month seems fair when all I really want it for is sport.

anotherlimey Sep 29th 2017 4:36 am

Re: Sling TV

Originally Posted by BenK91 (Post 12349558)

Thinking of giving it a try as it’s supported on our AppleTV and $20 a month seems fair when all I really want it for is sport.

I think you pay extra for sport.

Maste Sep 29th 2017 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by anotherlimey (Post 12349577)
I think you pay extra for sport.

Partly correct/incorrect.

Sling Orange ($20) comes with some ESPN sport channels. You can add on $5 more to get even more sport channels.

If you get Sling Blue ($20), includes no ESPN sport channels I believe, you can pay $10 for the sport package to be added on, but you also get the NFL red zone channel, if that's of interest to you!

tom169 Sep 29th 2017 12:56 pm

They offer a free trial.

lansbury Sep 29th 2017 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by BenK91 (Post 12349558)

I have it at the moment because I want access to the PAC12 network. The picture quality is not quite as good as DirecTV, but is stable. My biggest criticism is the program guide, it is useless. The description on the guide will be College Football for example, maybe several of those displayed. You have to go to each one to find out which game it is. It makes finding what you are looking for time consuming. As I only watch a few channels it is just annoying. If it was my main TV source I think the guide would be a deal breaker.

I have the $20 a month package, plus $5 for PAC12, plus $5 for the cloud DVR.

FinnDiego Sep 29th 2017 4:42 pm

I've been primarily using Sling TV for a few months now, mostly on my (original) Fire TV box. IIRC $35/month with the channels I want plus DVR - I won't watch TV without DVR capability.

The UI is not great and the program guide isn't brilliant, plus it sometimes has difficulties figuring out what are "episodes" of a "show" to record the whole thing and when you need to individually record each program.

Youtube TV just became available here, need to give it a try too.

BenK91 Sep 29th 2017 7:51 pm

I think I'll give it a try with the free trial and see how it is. Our internet here isn't particularly great but it's still worth a shot.

I mostly want it for FS1/FS2 for premier league games back home and for Patriots games although I only found out last night that I can watch TNF through our Amazon Prime subscription so that was nice!

lansbury Sep 29th 2017 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by BenK91 (Post 12350098)
I mostly want it for FS1/FS2 for premier league games back home.............

Premier league is now on NBCSN and other NBC channels or the NBC Sports and Sports Gold apps. Those on Sports Gold will cost $50 for a seasons pass.

BenK91 Sep 29th 2017 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by lansbury (Post 12350141)
Premier league is now on NBCSN and other NBC channels or the NBC Sports and Sports Gold apps. Those on Sports Gold will cost $50 for a seasons pass.

That doesn't seem particularly unreasonable - I think the F1 is on NBCSN too isn't it?

lansbury Sep 29th 2017 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by BenK91 (Post 12350151)
That doesn't seem particularly unreasonable - I think the F1 is on NBCSN too isn't it?

Mainly yes, but sometimes on the other NBC channels. (CNBC, NBC etc)

Marc_ely Sep 29th 2017 8:55 pm

We've had sling for a year. It's been pretty stable and the picture quality is pretty consistent. We had it mainly for the kids channels.
There are some Premier league matches on ESPN as recordings, but that is one of the channels which doesn't allow fast forward/skip etc.

I'm interested in the Sports Gold from NBC for the footie. Presumably it's just a.n.other app to install on the Roku/Fire/AppleTV etc? And can you fast forward the programs?

lansbury Sep 29th 2017 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by Marc_ely (Post 12350177)
I'm interested in the Sports Gold from NBC for the footie. Presumably it's just a.n.other app to install on the Roku/Fire/AppleTV etc? And can you fast forward the programs?

I have it installed on a Roku. Not sure about FF as I haven't tried to.

lansbury Oct 1st 2017 1:33 am

Yes you can FF, just done so.

Olly_ Oct 1st 2017 2:38 am

I tried using a Sling TV trial to watch Better Call Saul on AMC and it was hopeless - without fail it'd buffer and drop to terrible quality multiple times throughout.

DirecTVNow on the other hand was flawless.

I have Gigabit Verizon FiOS so it wasn't my internet connection at fault, unless the peering/transit to Sling was congested I guess.

Originally Posted by BenK91 (Post 12350151)

NBCSN F1 coverage is absolutely terrible, they keep cutting away to ads every 5 minutes so you miss half the race! Thankfully I borrow my in-laws Sky Go login and use a VPN to watch it on Sky Sports F1.

tennesseestud Nov 17th 2017 6:50 pm

Been subscribed for a couple of years. Basic comes with ESPN Inc ESPN 3.

What's great about it now is you can star footie matches to watch later on ESPN 3. Or search back to view games you missed.

Highly recommend.