Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Should you put oil in the water when cooking pasta?

Should you put oil in the water when cooking pasta?

Old May 25th 2010, 1:40 am
Forum Regular

Family_Guy is a glorious beacon of lightFamily_Guy is a glorious beacon of lightFamily_Guy is a glorious beacon of lightFamily_Guy is a glorious beacon of lightFamily_Guy is a glorious beacon of lightFamily_Guy is a glorious beacon of lightFamily_Guy is a glorious beacon of lightFamily_Guy is a glorious beacon of lightFamily_Guy is a glorious beacon of lightFamily_Guy is a glorious beacon of lightFamily_Guy is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Should you put oil in the water when cooking pasta?

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Not unless it's round.
Yes it is definitely round
Old May 25th 2010, 1:47 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Family_Guy
Yes it is definitely round
I think we need a photo.
Old May 25th 2010, 1:51 am
Forum Regular

Family_Guy is a glorious beacon of lightFamily_Guy is a glorious beacon of lightFamily_Guy is a glorious beacon of lightFamily_Guy is a glorious beacon of lightFamily_Guy is a glorious beacon of lightFamily_Guy is a glorious beacon of lightFamily_Guy is a glorious beacon of lightFamily_Guy is a glorious beacon of lightFamily_Guy is a glorious beacon of lightFamily_Guy is a glorious beacon of lightFamily_Guy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by meauxna
I think we need a photo.
Sure.

Old May 25th 2010, 1:58 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

OMG it's got 2 wooden handles.
Old May 25th 2010, 1:59 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
OMG it's got 2 wooden handles.
I think it just has one handle. The thing on the front is for hanging it up when I am not using it.
Old May 25th 2010, 2:01 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I think it just has one handle. The thing on the front is for hanging it up when I am not using it.
That looks like a handle to me...not a hook.
Old May 25th 2010, 2:03 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

It's a wok!

What are you going to cook in it? I'd put a little oil in the bottom and swizzle some stuff around in there at a high temp.
It will impress the wife. Especially with lots of ginger.
Old May 25th 2010, 2:05 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by meauxna
It's a wok!

What are you going to cook in it? I'd put a little oil in the bottom and swizzle some stuff around in there at a high temp.
It will impress the wife. Especially with lots of ginger.
You put oil in the pasta water AND the skillet? Now I am confused
Old May 25th 2010, 6:23 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

I read something that heating Olive Oil above the 'smoke point' is actually a bad thing. Breaks down the oil and does some damage to it, possibly even introducing some harmful side effects.

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=george&dbid=56
Old May 25th 2010, 6:50 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

No self respecting Italian puts oil in the pasta water - and neither do they rinse it with boiling water from a kettle when it's cooked.

You need a large pan of salted, boiling water. It must be boiling. You put the pasta in and you give it a stir and swish it around in the water and it will not stick.

Drain the pasta quickly, tip back into the hot pan and add the sauce of your choice. Sauces like Bolognese, tomato etc. should have been heated first before adding to the pasta.

If you are making a cold pasta salad then you do need to put some oil on the cooked pasta, stir it and leave to cool down before adding mozzarella, tomatoes, basil etc.
Old May 25th 2010, 9:56 am
Account Closed

Optimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
No self respecting Italian puts oil in the pasta water - and neither do they rinse it with boiling water from a kettle when it's cooked.

You need a large pan of salted, boiling water. It must be boiling. You put the pasta in and you give it a stir and swish it around in the water and it will not stick.

Drain the pasta quickly, tip back into the hot pan and add the sauce of your choice. Sauces like Bolognese, tomato etc. should have been heated first before adding to the pasta.

If you are making a cold pasta salad then you do need to put some oil on the cooked pasta, stir it and leave to cool down before adding mozzarella, tomatoes, basil etc.
All that would carry some weight but for the first sentence...there are no self respecting Italians.

Listen Lady just cos you live in Italy dont mean you know how to make better pasta. I live in the UK but I cant make a Yorkshire pudding or a Bakewell tart (I know one though). Anyway, if we REALLy wanted to know from an expert, we'd ask a Chinaman...after all the Italians nicked it off them at least that geezer that invented those mints did.

Old May 25th 2010, 9:57 am
Account Closed

Optimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond reputeOptimus Prime has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
I read something that heating Olive Oil above the 'smoke point' is actually a bad thing. Breaks down the oil and does some damage to it, possibly even introducing some harmful side effects.
Like than being so ****ing hot it would burn an inch wide hole from your mouth to your arsehole?
Old May 25th 2010, 10:00 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Optimus Prime
All that would carry some weight but for the first sentence...there are no self respecting Italians.

Listen Lady just cos you live in Italy dont mean you know how to make better pasta. I live in the UK but I cant make a Yorkshire pudding or a Bakewell tart (I know one though). Anyway, if we REALLy wanted to know from an expert, we'd ask a Chinaman...after all the Italians nicked it off them at least that geezer that invented those mints did.

I don't make the pasta .......... but I do know how to cook it
Old May 25th 2010, 12:40 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza

Thank you Lorna. My husband and daughter insist pasta should be placed in cold water and then brought to the boil.
Old May 25th 2010, 12:42 pm

No never. You tell them I said so

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.