Shipping companies

Old Oct 5th 2015, 3:25 pm
"Ignore Imbecile replies"

florida12 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Shipping query on K1 visa

Hi everyone. Sorry for another shipping query, but just had a surveyor come over to inspect my goods that I want shipping and he told me this.. and I need confirmation that this is NOT the case, based on a K1 VISA.

He told me today that, there maybe a problem at US Customs with my shipping because.. I do not have a FULL USA VISA & i am not married on arrival of shipping at customs to become a USC. I explained to him that, I need to use it by JAN 20TH, earliest to pull it off is the DEC 16th, but just in case, sometime in January before the 20th that I would be relocating.
How did this guy from.... BOURNES International
have knowledge of K1 VISA and shipping to tie in with that?
This is surely not the case. I haven't seen anyone on here having problems having their goods accepted under K1 VISA.
In addition he told me that Pickfords and Express has both consolidated so the service would probably be as the bad reviews of Pickfords. (Of course I know he's using a sales man pitch)
Can anyone please tell me the actual facts on this. In addition, so far I have had quotes from the following. Would love to hear experience or advice on any one of these companies.. via shipping method. Thank you.

Simpsons
Bournes
Express
1st International movers
Bishops moves

In addition, should I get a separate insurance as Letton Percival has been the cheapest so far by £200 on a total of £20,000. What should I be looking for with regards to purchasing it separate?

All of this removals costs, insurance, what to know at US customs like xrays, inspection checks costs etc just all so confusing..

Please enlighten me on all of my queries. Sorry its a lot. Thanks guys.

Last edited by florida12; Oct 5th 2015 at 3:53 pm. Reason: additional info
Old Oct 5th 2015, 3:57 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping companies

We shipped in the name of Mrs P (USC) only, even though I had a CR-1, as we were advised that was less likely to cause an issue with US Customs. Will your shipper accept your US fiancé as the sender?
Old Oct 5th 2015, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski
We shipped in the name of Mrs P (USC) only, even though I had a CR-1, as we were advised that was less likely to cause an issue with US Customs. Will your shipper accept your US fiancé as the sender?
Oh Wow, I was not even aware of this. I am not sure if they would accept under my USC name, I cannot see why not. But I shall have to send emails to each and every one of the companies I had received quotes from.
So was the surveyor right then? I don't know how this can be possible as wouldn't USA customs expect with K1 visa in place that they'll be people all over the world who would want to export their wordly goods to their new home?
Thank you for the reply.
Old Oct 6th 2015, 5:40 am

So, I received replies back, from the shipping companies I had mentioned in my earlier posts and each of them had said NO, to my USC fiancé having his name on my belongings rather than my own.
So now what? I have been told from them, (they do not sound sure of this, or know of K1 visa) it'll be ok that my shipping will go through customs without no hiccups due to my non immigrant visa...
What is the worst that can happen to my goods if, there is an issue due to my K1.. my non USC citizenship goods?
Would they be put into a hold/storage until I am legally married? (Sound silly to actually have to be told to wait til then) and would the shipping agent at that end, notify me of the hold up? ANyone had issues with this sort of thing. ? I thought it'll be a simple process. Get issued a K1.. got a few months to leave the UK. Goods arrive at customs. No problems under my unmarried, non citizenship name and that's it. Over and done with. Happy move! Frustrating and more unsettling.

Last edited by florida12; Oct 6th 2015 at 5:46 am.
Old Oct 6th 2015, 11:34 am

Oh I should add that, my belongings shall arrive about 2 months or so AFTER my POE. So, it shouldn't be an issue, surely. I have been looking online but no concrete answer to this. Neither anyone of the removals cannot even give me a definitive answer to this.
I cant give them my hard earned cash if, they cannot even have a knowledge of different visa issues at customs.. I thought they would have experience such visas as K1.
Old Oct 6th 2015, 12:19 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

All that will happen is delay and possible additional charges for customs checking of your shipment.
Old Oct 6th 2015, 12:26 pm

All that will happen is delay and possible additional charges for customs checking of your shipment.
Thank you Pulaski. I had just put up another thread as one of the surveyors sent me an email of another concern. (Copied and paste from another post)

"My K1 visa expires JAN 24TH..2016. I shall be moving out to the USA hopefully Dec 16th week if push comes to shove, definitely Beginning of January 2016.

However, with regards to my belongings and there is a lot going via shipping.
One of the many shipping firms that I am obtaining quotes from has now just emailed me saying..
" Due to expiry of visa, the shipping has to be cleared at customs before 24th Jan"

I understand that bit however, If I am already in the USA. I am down on the database of some kind, entering on a valid visa before expiry.. would.. and knowing that (it takes 2- 3 months tops, for my goods to arrive through customs)

1) Would it be an issue for my shipping to arrive AFTER the expiry of my visa (which has been used long before that expiry date) I am in the USA before shipping arrives.

Or is it...

2) I have to send my goods NOW! (to allow 2-3 months before expiry date) even though I am not ready to leave UK yet or even had booked a flight as of yet... Got loose ends to tie up. Job, family, commitments etc plus that would mean me living, in an empty home til I leave?

Seriously I hadn't envisaged this at all. I was just going to leave the UK along with my shipping on the Dec 16th WEEK or beginning of January 2016..
Hope I still can.. Seems all of a pressured rush
Old Oct 6th 2015, 12:38 pm

I have never heard of such a palava over a K-1 holder shipping their stuff. Unless multiple shippers are predicting the same issue I would go with one that isn't creating such a fuss. ...... Alternatively, if you and your shipper deem this to be a real concern, have them store your things under you have adjusted status.

One other suggestion, which I suspect is possible, but might create other issues, is to have your fiancé contact potential shippers himself (not ones you have already contacted), or even where he lives in the US, and ask if they can ship household things for him from the UK. I am fairly certain that is possible, though it would be unusual. ..... Certainly there are people who do that after leaving the country unexpectedly, or deciding while overseas not to return, or being denied reentry, or inheriting things. ..... There a number of good reasons why shipments are contracted from the receiving end.
Old Oct 6th 2015, 12:46 pm

I have never heard of such a palava over a K-1 holder shipping their stuff. Unless multiple shippers are predicting the same issue I would go with one that isn't creating such a fuss. ...... Alternatively, if you and your shipper deem this to be a real concern, have them store your things under you have adjusted status.

One other suggestion, which I suspect is possible, but might create other issues, is to have your fiancé contact potential shippers himself (not ones you have already contacted), or even where he lives in the US, and ask if they can ship household things for him from the UK. I am fairly certain that is possible, though it would be unusual. ..... Certainly there are people who do that after leaving the country unexpectedly, or deciding while overseas not to return, or being denied reentry, or inheriting things. ..... There a number of good reasons why shipments are contracted from the receiving end.
Pulaski. Thank you. Just by your reaction in your 1st paragraph about palava, that has reassured me that this is nothing to get myself all stressed about. Exactly my thoughts. How can this be such a headache to ship my belongings on this visa.
The Company in question is Bournes, and the one who doesn't seem to be at all fussed about my visa and when it should be shipped out is Excess. They seem to be 'all systems go'.
I think the worse that can happen is my goods being held at customs and then they write or call me up to let me know there is an issue in hold.
Thank you for your reply. I feel a little better now!
Old Oct 6th 2015, 12:50 pm

Why not try starting another thread, "Previous K-1's who shipped things", and ask if anyone else had the issues Bournes is predicting, or otherwise ask what their experiences were.
Old Oct 6th 2015, 12:52 pm

Email sent by Bishops move just now... Just in case it helps everyone else on a K1 visa. Even though... I cannot even make head or tails of what it actually means with regards to my removals scenario! 3299 & HHG ?

Based on the information provided, following is the reply from my customs broker in the US regarding the K1 visa:

"A K-1 visa is a visa issued to the fiancé or fiancée of a United States citizen to enter the United States. A K-1 visa requires a foreigner to marry his or her U.S. citizen petitioner within 90 days of entry, or depart the United States.

THEREFORE:

If the items qualify for 3299 entry (used >1 year in importers household) and imported while the visa is valid and importer has arrived in the USA (& if importer has married her fiancé if she arrived >90 days prior to the HHG) then yes 3299 duty free entry applicable."
Old Oct 6th 2015, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by florida12
Email sent by Bishops move just now... Just in case it helps everyone else on a K1 visa. Even though... I cannot even make head or tails of what it actually means with regards to my removals scenario! 3299 & HHG ?

Based on the information provided, following is the reply from my customs broker in the US regarding the K1 visa:

"A K-1 visa is a visa issued to the fiancé or fiancée of a United States citizen to enter the United States. A K-1 visa requires a foreigner to marry his or her U.S. citizen petitioner within 90 days of entry, or depart the United States.

THEREFORE:

If the items qualify for 3299 entry (used >1 year in importers household) and imported while the visa is valid and importer has arrived in the USA (& if importer has married her fiancé if she arrived >90 days prior to the HHG) then yes 3299 duty free entry applicable."
It means you won't have a problem with customs so long as either your things clear customs before your K-1 expires, or you get married, as expected when you entered on a K-1, before your things clear customs.

The 3299 entry means that household chattles are exempt from import duty.

Last edited by Pulaski; Oct 6th 2015 at 1:01 pm.
Old Oct 6th 2015, 1:24 pm

It means you won't have a problem with customs so long as either your things clear customs before your K-1 expires, or you get married, as expected when you entered on a K-1, before your things clear customs.

Thank you! You're a star. I just received this via email from Bishop Moves, along the same lines.

"This means that you will have 90 days from visa approval to import your shipment tax & duty free.

You will have to be in the US when shipment arrives as well.

This is considering that effects are used for more than 12 month (all new items up to 12 month will be dutiable at destination"
Old Oct 6th 2015, 1:28 pm

From my understanding then.. my shipment shall be placed on hold until i get married as, i doubt my things shall arrive customs before January 24th 2016 because i won't be leaving UK until Dec therefore i would be living with my items within my home, til they are all removed about 2-3 days before i relocate.
I am assuming then if my shipment is on 'hold' i cannot claim them until i marry plus, the charges shall be very expensive in the hold?
Old Oct 6th 2015, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by florida12
From my understanding then.. my shipment shall be placed on hold until i get married as, i doubt my things shall arrive customs before January 24th 2016 because i won't be leaving UK until Dec therefore i would be living with my items within my home, til they are all removed about 2-3 days before i relocate.
I am assuming then if my shipment is on 'hold' i cannot claim them until i marry plus, the charges shall be very expensive in the hold?
No, that is not correct. Please take another look at my "either - or" post above. Your things can clear customs when your K-1 visa is still valid (90 days).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.