Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

San Diego - inland areas

San Diego - inland areas

Old May 23rd 2017, 9:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default San Diego - inland areas

In support of a possible future move, I'm curious to know about areas on the east side of San Diego (inland). I can't afford coastal San Diego, I know that, and my experience in the Bay Area has taught me that I enjoy the warmer inland temperatures. I once drove from Phoenix to San Diego, on Highway 8, and I remember - after a long, boring desert drive, you suddenly hit a range of hills, and those areas looked ... collectively ... like they may be a good compromise - far enough from the city to be affordable, hilly (providing views), and cooler than the desert to the east.

So ... does anyone familiar with the area have any recommendations of where to look? I was thinking of spending this weekend tooling around the area just getting a feel for the place. The towns on the map that sound like they might be worthwhile, are Alpine, Lakeside, Pine Valley, Blossom Valley, etc. Also, when driving in on 8 from Phoenix, is there a good detour to take through the foothills as you approach San Diego - eg, taking highway 78 that lands in Escondido?

If all these places are dumps, then what suburbs of San Diego are worth looking at ... cheaper than coastal, decent neighborhoods, etc? To give a rough idea of budget, I'm looking for a place where I could buy an 1800 sq ft home in a decent 'hood for, say, $4-500k.
Old May 23rd 2017, 9:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: San Diego - inland areas

The places you name (Alpine, Lakeside, Pine Valley, Blossom Valley) and not all dumps (some areas are quite pleasant) but they are, mainly, rustic. Horse, ranch, unincorporated country. Lots of hiking, rough countryside, some newer properties, small shopping precincts.

Yes you could easily get a 1800 sq ft property for 400K to 500K- probably with some land.

If you are heading up to Escondido you might like to take a look at Ramona or Poway on the way.
Old May 23rd 2017, 10:55 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Alpine is nice, not exactly small town, and easy access to the "city". Ramona and surrounds can be nice as well.

If you want to be closer to the coast, Bonita is a nice community (grew up there) that is in the South Bay near the coast, 5-7 miles from the bay give or take, but far from cool in the summer, quite nice typically and cooler then the inland regions which can near triple digits at times.

Although unsure of what real estate runs for in Bonita these days, and I believe Bonita is still unincorporated but not rural or rustic, right in the middle of the south bay (Chula Vista, National City and parts of the City of San Diego.)

Julian could be an option as well.
Old May 23rd 2017, 11:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
The places you name (Alpine, Lakeside, Pine Valley, Blossom Valley) and not all dumps (some areas are quite pleasant) but they are, mainly, rustic. Horse, ranch, unincorporated country. Lots of hiking, rough countryside, some newer properties, small shopping precincts.

Yes you could easily get a 1800 sq ft property for 400K to 500K- probably with some land.

If you are heading up to Escondido you might like to take a look at Ramona or Poway on the way.
Thanks for the info! I love playing 'tour guide' for the areas I know well (Bay Area, Scottsdale) but I'm a fish out of water in San Diego!

So Poway and Ramona are worth a look? Are they at all 'hilly' (not mountainous - just rolling hills, perhaps?). What I'm looking for is a reasonably upscale neighborhood with a professional crowd, good grocery stores, decent non-chain places to eat, and not terrible traffic into the city.
Old May 24th 2017, 4:34 am
BE Practitioner (Level 2)

username.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
So Poway and Ramona are worth a look? Are they at all 'hilly' (not mountainous - just rolling hills, perhaps?). What I'm looking for is a reasonably upscale neighborhood with a professional crowd, good grocery stores, decent non-chain places to eat, and not terrible traffic into the city.
Ramona is a bit more 'country' than Poway, but both have nice scenic views. Poway is more upscale, but of course in California it's a case of: affordable, safe and light traffic - pick two.

Poway, Tierrasanta, Bonita and selective parts of Escondido are worth a look per your criteria.

You'll find more affordable places there, a warmer climate and relatively suburban/professional areas... but you won't get too many 'hip' non-chain places or cool/rendy walkable neighborhoods. If you really want that stuff you should look at North Park, Hillcrest, Mission Hills etc.

Hope you find your fit in San Diego, we love it here
Old May 24th 2017, 5:42 am
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Temecula is a town I like. Population is around 105,000 and home prices averaging 460,000 dollars. The town is home to the annual hot air balloon festival. Worth going up in one if heights don't bother you. It's in wine country also lots of wine tasting tours available. It's a bit touristy though so not the place if you want quiet all year round
Old May 24th 2017, 5:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by username.exe
Ramona is a bit more 'country' than Poway, but both have nice scenic views. Poway is more upscale, but of course in California it's a case of: affordable, safe and light traffic - pick two.

Poway, Tierrasanta, Bonita and selective parts of Escondido are worth a look per your criteria.

You'll find more affordable places there, a warmer climate and relatively suburban/professional areas... but you won't get too many 'hip' non-chain places or cool/rendy walkable neighborhoods. If you really want that stuff you should look at North Park, Hillcrest, Mission Hills etc.

Hope you find your fit in San Diego, we love it here
I was thinking of driving in on '8' (from AZ, where I am at the moment), and then turning off near Los Terrenitos onto highway 79 north (through Cuyamaca Rancho State Park), and then heading west on highway 78 towards Ramona, and possibly spending the night there. Are those roads reasonably drive-able? Next day, explore Poway, and other towns on the list, and then end up in Escondido, ready for the long drive back to the Bay Area.

Where in Escondido would you suggest - perhaps a landmark to head for?
Old May 25th 2017, 12:09 am
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know how close or far from SD you would want to be, but the inland areas of Carlsbad, Oceanside, Vista might suit you. As for Escondido, I don't know much about the place, but it has got the San Diego Zoo Safari Park, which is worth a look.
Old May 25th 2017, 4:11 am

username.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond repute

I was thinking of driving in on '8' (from AZ, where I am at the moment), and then turning off near Los Terrenitos onto highway 79 north (through Cuyamaca Rancho State Park), and then heading west on highway 78 towards Ramona, and possibly spending the night there. Are those roads reasonably drive-able? Next day, explore Poway, and other towns on the list, and then end up in Escondido, ready for the long drive back to the Bay Area.

Honestly those towns you mention are so rural, I've never been there or driven those roads. Julian is famous for pie and it sometimes snows there in winter.
I think your plan is a decent one, you seem to know what your'e looking for.

As for Escondido, maybe head to Grand Ave (old downtown are, quite nice) and start there? Check out a few listings for houses that are in your price range, see what inventory is like.
Old May 25th 2017, 9:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks everyone! This is a summary list of most of the places noted in posts above:

Poway (inland)
Ramona (inland)
Carlsbad (up north near the ocean)
Oceanside (ditto)
Encinitas (ditto)
Escondido (inland a bit)
Tierrasanta (inland)
Bonita (south of SD)

For a more trendy area, possibly:
North Park (close to city center)
Hillcrest (close to city center)
Mission Hills (close to city center)

Tierrasanta looks interesting ... anyone have any comments about that place?
Old May 25th 2017, 10:18 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Tierrasanta borders Mission Trails regional park, so close hiking. The park is 5,800 acres and largest municipally owned park in California.

Downside is you may at times get fighter jets flying over and other military aircraft as it's not far from Miramar air station.

Tierrasanta did have a fairly large amount of military families who lived there, but this could have changed by now.
Old May 25th 2017, 10:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

All the roads you mention are perfectly driveable.

Are you going to work in the San Diego area - as that would have a huge effect on where you want to live.
Old May 25th 2017, 10:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
All the roads you mention are perfectly driveable.

Are you going to work in the San Diego area - as that would have a huge effect on where you want to live.
In addition to being driveable, I presume they are 'worth driving' - that is, offer a scenic element - and aren't so winding that you have to concentrate like crazy ...

I would be working from home, primarily, so no specific need to be anywhere in particular. I'm semi-retired at this point, and the whole strategy is to get out of the expensive bay area and buy something that won't require a mortgage, and thus, take the pressure off from an 'earnings' standpoint. But for that to work, I have to be able to get something decent for $500k or so, which is why I'm setting my sights on the more outlying areas. I've grown to prefer the heat, so I'm trying to take advantage of that. But even though San Diego is cheaper than the Bay Area, I don't think the differentials are that great and I'm not too optimistic I can find something ... but we live in hope!
Old May 26th 2017, 2:16 am

Thanks everyone! This is a summary list of most of the places noted in posts above:

Poway (inland)
Ramona (inland)
Carlsbad (up north near the ocean)
Oceanside (ditto)
Encinitas (ditto)
Escondido (inland a bit)
Tierrasanta (inland)
Bonita (south of SD)

For a more trendy area, possibly:
North Park (close to city center)
Hillcrest (close to city center)
Mission Hills (close to city center)

Tierrasanta looks interesting ... anyone have any comments about that place?
If you want heat and cheaper property, I would stay away from the coastal towns (although Oside is a bit cheaper).

I have friends that live in Tierrasanta. Plenty of nice new builds. Safe, suburban, good schools, definitely warmer in the summer. Ultimately we settled in Bay Ho, but if we hadn't we would be in Tierrasanta near our friends. Yes you hear the jets every so often, but it's not constant. Good luck with your search, I'm sure you will like it down here!
Old May 26th 2017, 9:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by username.exe
If you want heat and cheaper property, I would stay away from the coastal towns (although Oside is a bit cheaper).

I have friends that live in Tierrasanta. Plenty of nice new builds. Safe, suburban, good schools, definitely warmer in the summer. Ultimately we settled in Bay Ho, but if we hadn't we would be in Tierrasanta near our friends. Yes you hear the jets every so often, but it's not constant. Good luck with your search, I'm sure you will like it down here!
Did I know that you live in Bay Ho? I'm here too

Tierrasanta seems lovely - I have several friends who live their. The schools are good, the community is a real community. A friend who lives there told me that many of her neighbors are former military people who moved there once retired (young) or left.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.