British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   Retiring to USA from UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/retiring-usa-uk-516830/)

Realone Feb 24th 2008 4:11 pm

Retiring to USA from UK

Hi,
I wonder if there is anyone who can give me some advice and information on relocating to the US. I hope to retire in about four year's time and would like to live in New Hampshire, However, I am unsure as to whether I will be able to make a permanent move or whether it would be restricted. I am financially independent and will need to make no call on the state. Many thanks
Realone.

Kaffy Mintcake Feb 24th 2008 4:13 pm

Re: Retiring to USA from UK

Originally Posted by Realone (Post 5977424)
Hi,
I wonder if there is anyone who can give me some advice and information on relocating to the US. I hope to retire in about four year's time and would like to live in New Hampshire, However, I am unsure as to whether I will be able to make a permanent move or whether it would be restricted. I am financially independent and will need to make no call on the state. Many thanks
Realone.

Welcome to BE! Others will be along to provide you with advice on your question, and I'm hoping a moderator will move this post to the general US section as I believe this area is primarily intended for those wishing to plan a get-together.

Realone Feb 24th 2008 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by KJ2007 (Post 5977429)
Welcome to BE! Others will be along to provide you with advice on your question, and I'm hoping a moderator will move this post to the general US section as I believe this area is primarily intended for those wishing to plan a get-together.

Thank you for your prompt response and sorry my query was incorrectly posted. Perhaps you could tell me where and how to post it appropriately? Many thanks
Realone.

Kaffy Mintcake Feb 24th 2008 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by Realone (Post 5977543)
Thank you for your prompt response and sorry my query was incorrectly posted. Perhaps you could tell me where and how to post it appropriately? Many thanks
Realone.

No worries - I just didn't want your inquiry to be overlooked. Sue has already moved it to the right spot so I'm sure some advice should pour in soon enough. I'm American myself so not the right person to advise you. :)

Realone Feb 24th 2008 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by KJ2007 (Post 5977547)
No worries - I just didn't want your inquiry to be overlooked. Sue has already moved it to the right spot so I'm sure some advice should pour in soon enough. I'm American myself so not the right person to advise you. :)

Thank you!

Manc Feb 24th 2008 4:53 pm

Hi,
Realone.

it'll be a restricted B visitor visa
6 months at best in the USA for any single period.

Ray Feb 24th 2008 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by Manc (Post 5977559)
it'll be a restricted B visitor visa
6 months at best in the USA for any single period.

Agree ..there is no retirewment visa available ....
A B-2 tourist visa ..will be the best you can get
6 months in ..6 months out ...

AlanR Feb 24th 2008 5:39 pm

I wonder if there is anyone who can give me some advice and information on relocating to the US.
Try this link:
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA

See how you can fit in

Folinskyinla Feb 24th 2008 5:42 pm

Hi,
Realone.

Hi:

The category which provided for retirees became "unavailable" in 1979 and was abolished altogether in 1991.

You have to examine the other ways of immigrating. An EB-5 "passive" investment in a "regional center" may be a possibility.

I may be a lawyer, but I am not your lawyer. The above is given just as general information.

JAJ Feb 24th 2008 5:52 pm

Hi,
Realone.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA

Bladerunner Feb 24th 2008 9:30 pm

Surely a financially independent retiree (with proof of funds) can only benefit a community. I'm surprised they don't have a visa for such a catagory,

Ray Feb 24th 2008 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by Bladerunner (Post 5978608)
Surely a financially independent retiree (with proof of funds) can only benefit a community. I'm surprised they don't have a visa for such a catagory,

I can think of only 2 countries that do ..

fatbrit Feb 24th 2008 9:46 pm

They do: it's 0.5M USD down. With the falling dollar, it's a bargain.

Folinskyinla Feb 24th 2008 10:16 pm

Hi:

As I said, they used to. A long time ago, the immigration system has six "preferences" categories which had the potential of taking 100% of the visa allocation. For nearly 25 years this never happened. The remaining visas could be used by everyone else who otherwise qualified. The "otherwise" satisfying the paragraph showing one would not take jobs away from Americans or adversely affect the the job market. Certain investors [predecessor of today's EB-5, but not as stringent] and retirees could take advantage of this. Otherwise, one needed a labor certificate.

In 1979, the Non-Preference category remained on the books and people could qualify for such category -- and got their fair share of the ZERO visas that remained available after satisfaction of the preference categories.

Finally, in 1990 [effective 1991], the Non-preference category was eliminated.

AlanR Feb 24th 2008 10:20 pm

There is no apparent logic or rationale to the US system. It's mainly based around family rather than any other needs (of the US).