Reload this Page >

Restrictions on travel

Restrictions on travel

Old Jan 15th 2017, 4:32 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Restrictions on travel

Originally Posted by dc koop
Well it could be made a criminal offence. Politicians are elected by the ordinary people to represent their interests not to pander to wealthy special interest groups.

If you are liable to arrest by a police officer for offering him or her a bribe why shouldn't lobbyists be subject to the same.
It could, but who would make it a criminal offence, Turkeys voting for Christmas?
Old Jan 15th 2017, 4:32 am
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
An eloquent demolishment of the ACA.
Hardly so
Old Jan 15th 2017, 4:39 am
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
It could, but who would make it a criminal offence, Turkeys voting for Christmas?
What justification is there for accepting a bribe to influence a decision to vote for or against a resolution ? An amendment to the Constitution could take care of that
Old Jan 15th 2017, 8:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Whys is Social Security a flawed system that needs to be reformed? it's worked well enough for the past 80 plus years.

What needs to be done is to send every lobbyist in Washington packing with a hard kick up the ass. The drug manufacturers for instance have been lining the pockets of politicians of both parties for years. The rise of the cost of drugs is a crisis that will in the near future parallel that of the collapse of the lending institutions, banks and housing market in 2008

Lobbying and the influencing of politicians through monetary donations is quite plainly blatant corruption. Both Obama and Trump have spoken out against it. Obama failed to put an end to it. Let's hope that Trump succeeds
Even the administrators of social security admit under the current system it will run out of money. The money is not saved and invested, or even a portion of it. And to add insult to injury, it is a regressive tax. If the system wasn't flawed the increase in the age for full retirement to try to keep system solvent, if this continues, may result in quite a few people who will never even collect it.

As far as medical costs neither party has the courage to address out of control medical costs.

Special interest groups whether the teachers union or chambers of commerce, or whomever, will always find a way to try to influence politicians.
Old Jan 15th 2017, 8:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie
Unless you can show an example of left-wing extremism, in recent US history, then your comment is simply a useless platitude. The implication of this platitude is that 'both sides do it and they should just stop their silly nonsense'.

I'm not talking about rude people mouthing off on internet forums or the personal beliefs that private citizens hold. I'm talking about people in positions of power who affect public policy. The video I linked (of the preacher calling for the death of gay people) was at a conference where three presidential candidates also spoke. Ted Cruz, a sitting US Senator, spoke directly after the preacher. As a matter of fact, the preacher actually introduced the lawmaker (Mr. Cruz). Bobby Jindal, who at that time was sitting governor in the state of Louisiana, also spoke at the conference; as did Mike Huckabee, a former Arkansas governor and (at that time) a candidate for POTUS. How can gay people possibly feel safe in their own country?

This country, that I love, is taking a concerning turn toward nationalism and intolerance directed at alternate cultures and lifestyles. It is becoming acceptable to publicly threaten and ridicule gay people and those with non-Christian belief systems as well as racial and ethnic minorities.

There are no current equivalencies on the left. This is not the 1960s. The Weather Underground is not out there bombing anybody. Even at the height of left-wing radicalism, the left-wing radicals never held a position of political power. They were a small minority and were overwhelmingly reviled. They may have made their point but they didn't run this country.

If you want to re-litigate the 1960s, that's fine. But at least be honest about it. Earlier in this thread, comments were made about about communism being more influential, and higher in numbers, than the KKK. Not only was that a false equivalency it was a flat-out lie. You did acknowledge the untruth of that statement but then you went on to say 'but the left does it too'.

You are entitled to your own opinion but you are not entitled to your own facts.
The post that was made saying the communists had a great influence than the KKK the person posting that as you well pointed out, was factually incorrect.

I believe extremists on either side are objectionable. Maybe one side has more extremists than the other but I find extremists of the right and the left appear to me to share similar personality traits.
Old Jan 15th 2017, 11:16 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by morpeth
The post that was made saying the communists had a great influence than the KKK the person posting that as you well pointed out, was factually incorrect.

I believe extremists on either side are objectionable. Maybe one side has more extremists than the other but I find extremists of the right and the left appear to me to share similar personality traits.
This thread, and the larger discussion, is about extremists who have risen to positions of power. It is about the legislation of intolerance. Personality traits are irrelevant.
Old Jan 15th 2017, 8:56 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by morpeth
Even the administrators of social security admit under the current system it will run out of money. The money is not saved and invested, or even a portion of it. And to add insult to injury, it is a regressive tax. If the system wasn't flawed the increase in the age for full retirement to try to keep system solvent, if this continues, may result in quite a few people who will never even collect it.

As far as medical costs neither party has the courage to address out of control medical costs.

Special interest groups whether the teachers union or chambers of commerce, or whomever, will always find a way to try to influence politicians.

I don't buy this "running out of money in year X" bit We have plenty of money to give away to such undesirables as Pakistan and Israel, the former which hates us anyway and the latter which manipulates us for it's own expansionist ends in the middle east. I think the money sent to both these countries runs around a total of 8- 12 billion annually. Use it for people here instead. Raising the S.S contributions to a realistic level would also help.
It's no good people sniveling and whining about having to fork out more for pension contributions if at retirement they expect a pension to help them out in their old age. Americans seem to think that money and benefits are something that is an entitlement without having to pay dues on beforehand.

Another problem today are the aging baby boomers who grew up without being able to see beyond tomorrow. Very few have accumulated anything near what's needed for retirement despite most of their working lives living in a period that was booming and prosperous for anyone who was willing to work.

Last edited by dc koop; Jan 15th 2017 at 9:09 pm.
Old Jan 15th 2017, 9:14 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

I don't buy this "running out of money in year X" bit We have plenty of money to give away to such undesirables as Pakistan and Israel, the former which hates us anyway and the latter which manipulates us for it's own expansionist ends in the middle east. I think the money sent to both these countries runs around a total of 8 billion annually. Use it for people here instead. Raising the S.S contributions to a realistic level would also help.
It's no good people sniveling and whining about having to pay more for pension contributions if at retirement they expect a pension to help them out in their old age. Americans seem to think that money and benefits are something that is an entitlement without having to pay dues on beforehand.

Another problem today with the aging baby boomers is that they grew up without being able to see beyond tomorrow. Very few have accumulated anything near what's needed for retirement despite most of their working life living in a period that was booming and prosperous for anyone who was willing to work.
Social security has had a surplus every year since 1984. That surplus was required by law to be invested in bonds. When anyone talks about the social security fund running out, I believe they are talking about the projected time in the future when social security has ceased to run a surplus and all the bonds have been cashed in. The fund of stockpiled social security excess will have been exhausted, but social security itself won't have run out of money since it will still be mostly financed by payroll taxes.

I'm no economist, but it would seem as though the solution to this problem is to raise payroll taxes until social security is funded 100% instead of only 75%.
Old Jan 16th 2017, 4:55 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Wintersong
Social security has had a surplus every year since 1984. That surplus was required by law to be invested in bonds. When anyone talks about the social security fund running out, I believe they are talking about the projected time in the future when social security has ceased to run a surplus and all the bonds have been cashed in. The fund of stockpiled social security excess will have been exhausted, but social security itself won't have run out of money since it will still be mostly financed by payroll taxes.

I'm no economist, but it would seem as though the solution to this problem is to raise payroll taxes until social security is funded 100% instead of only 75%.
They will of course keep putting back the age for Social Security retirement benefit no doubt hoping that potential recipients will die of old age before they get the first check
Old Jan 16th 2017, 5:40 am
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

They will of course keep putting back the age for Social Security retirement benefit no doubt hoping that potential recipients will die of old age before they get the first check
I'm just a hopeless optimist
Old Jan 16th 2017, 7:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

[QUOTE=dc koop;12152703]I don't buy this "running out of money in year X" bit We have plenty of money to give away to such undesirables as Pakistan and Israel, the former which hates us anyway and the latter which manipulates us for it's own expansionist ends in the middle east. I think the money sent to both these countries runs around a total of 8- 12 billion annually. Use it for people here instead. Raising the S.S contributions to a realistic level would also help.
It's no good people sniveling and whining about having to fork out more for pension contributions if at retirement they expect a pension to help them out in their old age. Americans seem to think that money and benefits are something that is an entitlement without having to pay dues on beforehand.

Another problem today are the aging baby boomers who grew up without being able to see beyond tomorrow. Very few have accumulated anything near what's needed for retirement despite most of their working lives living in a period that was booming and prosperous for anyone who was willing to work.[/QUOTE

Simply the social security administrators themselves indicate it will run out of money, so it would make sense to resolve the issue. I quite agree though that the billions of dollars America gives away around the world should be re-evaluated. And a fair amount of poverty in USA is accounted for by the elderly.
Old Jan 16th 2017, 7:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Wintersong

With stagnant real wages and the demographic projections, something should be done.

My opinion would be raise the payroll tax by another 3%- but part say 1% to give credits back to those making under $40,000 a year, and 1% invested in stocks, state or infrastructure related bonds- so eventually social security would be more self-sufficient and eventually they could start reducing the retirement age and age for receiving medicare.

Federal government bonds may be secure except what value would they have in the future with so much debt on the books is questionable. Plus such a plan (judging from results in countries like Chile) would help economic growth which would generate more social security taxes on those getting jobs or better wages.

And raise the salary on which one pays medicare tax - why should someone making $500,000 a year only pay medicare tax on only a minor portion of their income but someone making less than $100,000 pay on al their income ?
Old Jan 16th 2017, 1:39 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

People who are too inept to fix their own cocked-up quotes should at least have the courtesy to report their own posts to a moderator so that the mods can fix them. Cocked-up quotes turn interesting threads into unreadable garbage.
Old Jan 16th 2017, 2:08 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

They will of course keep putting back the age for Social Security retirement benefit no doubt hoping that potential recipients will die of old age before they get the first check. .....
But social security was exactly like that when it started - about one third of men died before they reached retirement age, and the average man received social security for two years after he retired. I would guess that 90%+ people today live to claim some social security, and the average man who retired at 65 is already receiving SS for 12 years. On a like-for like basis, retirement age for men should now be 75!

Last edited by Pulaski; Jan 16th 2017 at 2:31 pm.
Old Jan 16th 2017, 3:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Pulaski
But social security was exactly like that when it started - about one third of men died before they reached retirement age, and the average man received social security for two years after he retired. I would guess that 90%+ people today live to claim some social security, and the average man who retired at 65 is already receiving SS for 12 years. On a like-for like basis, retirement age for men should now be 75!
Still the idea you pay for your whole life, then you only collect for a few years hits me the wrong way, especially as I think as I posted earlier they should start reducing the age to start receiving social security and medicare.

Who today would be putting 100% of their investment in government bonds paying 2% ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.