Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

this really upset me.

this really upset me.

Old Apr 16th 2017, 4:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: this really upset me.

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
On a related note, I have used some budgeting software called YNAB for many years. Over the last 2 in particular it has been a godsend as I know exactly how much I need for everything, and where I can make savings. Building up a buffer,not living paycheck to paycheck is one of it's founding principles.
A good rule of thumb is this: mentally separate your expenditure and your income. It's a huge mistake to buy something simply because you can afford it. As Grandma used to say: watch your pennies and the pounds will look after themselves.

As for beggars... as a general rule, they would get more sympathy from prospective donors if they offered to work in exchange for money. Even young children can wash cars, and most (?) adults don't mind giving a few bucks to kids who are willing to do that. (I don't mean the window-washers at traffic lights. That's extortion!)
Old Apr 16th 2017, 5:12 pm
Forum Regular

geoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond reputegeoff52 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski

..... Wait, does that mean that I am living both the American and the British dream simultaneously?
How would I know. I don't know anything about you.
Old Apr 16th 2017, 6:45 pm
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
2016's Shocking Homelessness Statistics

A common but quite incorrect idea. See the link above. The homeless are families, children, regular single people and a large percentage of them even have jobs (but don't have enough money to pay rent, put together a deposit, or can't pass a credit check).
I was posting an opinion from a research in homelessness done several years ago but perhaps now that conclusion is a bit out date.

Rents anywhere have risen out of sight in the last two years to an average 2,200.00 per mo. Most landlords me included require first and last month rent plus (in my case) a cleaning fee of 700.00 dollars which is refundable if the property is left clean and in good order. That comes to over 5 thousand up front which is probably beyond the reach of a lot of people.

For certain incomes have not kept up with the cost of living either but we live in the age of the One Percent after all.
Old Apr 16th 2017, 6:53 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

One upside to where I live despite high rent the government caps deposits at a max of half a months rent.

We would be homeless if they could do first last and random cleaning deposits.

Originally Posted by dc koop
I was posting an opinion from a research in homelessness done several years ago but perhaps now that conclusion is a bit out date.

Rents anywhere have risen out of sight in the last two years to an average 2,200.00 per mo. Most landlords me included require first and last month rent plus (in my case) a cleaning fee of 700.00 dollars which is refundable if the property is left clean and in good order. That comes to over 5 thousand up front which is probably beyond the reach of a lot of people.

For certain incomes have not kept up with the cost of living either but we live in the age of the One Percent after all.
Old Apr 16th 2017, 10:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

I take it you're not in Ontario? Or NS for that matter?
Old Apr 16th 2017, 11:12 pm
Forum Regular

fakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
The last few days and many of these posts have had me thinking about giving money to the beggar on the street vs donating to a charity. I don't mean the 2 are mutually exclusive but that they serve different ends for us, the donators..(is that a word? haven't had coffee yet!)

Certainly, the people on the streets do all they can to make us feel sorry for them or perhaps a little guilty as we swan by in our expensive cars. Do we give to them to make us feel better about ourselves? I don't usually give to people on the streets, my preference is to give to charities that look after them or to volunteer in some way. I think this is more effective and allows these charities to increase the aid they can give. They actually do know how best to help people, how to help them get off the street and into a more secure environment. I don't and I try hard not to make judgments.

This Italian woman, I haven't seen her since and I haven't had a chance to talk to my neighbour either. What I have realised about this encounter though is how damn easily anyone of us could end up in her situation. Time to do my best that I don't.

On a related note, I have used some budgeting software called YNAB for many years. Over the last 2 in particular it has been a godsend as I know exactly how much I need for everything, and where I can make savings. Building up a buffer,not living paycheck to paycheck is one of it's founding principles. I encourage you to take a look at it. There's also a guy and a site called mrmoneymustache which has been an excellent source of information
There's a site I like along similar grounds, called penny hoarders - tips for making, saving and managing money. You might like it.
And btw - the word is 'donor' - lol
Old Apr 17th 2017, 4:46 am
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
One upside to where I live despite high rent the government caps deposits at a max of half a months rent.

We would be homeless if they could do first last and random cleaning deposits.
I don't like to charge last month plus a sizeable cleaning fee but bad experience on one or two occasions over thirty years has forced me to do it.

I pay for gardening service and water usage which isn't a bad deal for a renter
Old Apr 17th 2017, 4:52 am
Banned

Originally Posted by DandNHill
I take it you're not in Ontario? Or NS for that matter?
I lived in Quebec for a short time. Had an apartment in a nice part of Montreal, 2 bed, large living room, separate kitchen and full sized bath., balcony overlooking a park Shared with two other guys. The rent came to 150 dollars a month including everything except the phone. My share was 50 dollars a month.

Those were the days !
Old Apr 17th 2017, 4:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't like to charge last month plus a sizeable cleaning fee but bad experience on one or two occasions over thirty years has forced me to do it.

I pay for gardening service and water usage which isn't a bad deal for a renter
With a landlord only being able to charge 1/2 months rent as deposit, does that not create a situation where landlords raise rents to cover potential losses?

I used to give candy to the homeless on the way to and from work. For some it seemed to make their day to receive a handful of Hershey's kisses. I also carry around a few of those space blankets in my car. They only cost a dollar or so and could help save someone from the cold. I have not, and probably never will give cash.

I used one of my blankets last week to keep someone warn and dry after head on car wreck.
Old Apr 17th 2017, 5:13 am
Banned

Originally Posted by mrken30
With a landlord only being able to charge 1/2 months rent as deposit, does that not create a situation where landlords raise rents to cover potential losses?

I used to give candy to the homeless on the way to and from work. For some it seemed to make their day to receive a handful of Hershey's kisses. I also carry around a few of those space blankets in my car. They only cost a dollar or so and could help save someone from the cold. I have not, and probably never will give cash.

I used one of my blankets last week to keep someone warn and dry after head on car wreck.
I don't thinks it's fair that government should dictate to a private landlord how much of a percentage he can charge as a deposit. Fortunately that's not the case where I live. I pay property tax which increases every year, outside and inside maintenance work and replaced the roof of the property last November which ran me twelve thousand dollars. I get some write off on taxes but it's nowhere near the amount I have to pay

I had one renter a young couple with a small child who ran into a bit of misfortune when the husband was laid off. They fell behind on the rent. I knew they weren't screwing around with me so the last months rent they had already paid I applied to the current month which kept them up to date. Afterwards the husband found another job.

My wife and I volunteer as help at a homeless shelter at Thanksgiving and Christmas and also donate money
Old Apr 17th 2017, 3:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

I've lived in and around San Francisco for over 30 years now, and San Francisco is pretty much ground zero for homeless issues. The mild climate and liberal city government conspire to create a magnet for the homeless - it never freezes or snows, and it's never much above 70F in the hotter times.

ETA: The liberal population continues to vote in supervisors that offer to do more. 'solving the homeless problem' is on every politician's agenda, and as you will see from the numbers below, the city is spending massive amounts of money on the problem.

Driving around some areas of SF is shocking. Entire streets are lined with tent camps. I just read this article which gives the extent of the issue ... SF's homeless problem: A civic disgrace

This paragraph is an eye-opener:
The severe effects of chronic homelessness on the city budget and life on the streets is no secret in San Francisco. Those with the most acute dysfunction due to substance abuse or mental illness represent a disproportionate strain on the budget. They too often become caught in a brutal cycle of jail stays, ambulance rides and emergency care. Some 1,500 chronically homeless people cost the city about $80,000 a year each; the figure rises to $150,000 for the 338 considered the most needy in the city’s public-health database.
and ...
The Legislature needs to pass SB1380 and move ahead with a proposed $2 billion homeless housing bond.
That's 'billion', not 'million' !

and this para, which addresses the fact that, if shelters exist, the homeless must be forced to use them or face consequences (not clear what those consequences could be ...):

Also, San Francisco, which gets an influx of about 450 chronically homeless people a year, needs to shed any perception that it is a sanctuary for people who are unwilling to participate in programs designed to get them off, and keep them off, a life in the streets. It is neither inhumane nor “criminalizing poverty” to enforce laws against aggressive panhandling, tent encampments or defecation and urination in public places. It would be a colossal waste of money to make the necessary investments in supportive housing and other services without a commensurate commitment to assure that the people who are offered this array of assistance are no longer afforded the option to flout the law with impunity.
This site shows a typical street scene ... https://ww2.kqed.org/news/2016/07/12...hborhood-view/

Last edited by Steerpike; Apr 17th 2017 at 3:41 pm.
Old Apr 17th 2017, 5:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I've lived in and around San Francisco for over 30 years now, and San Francisco is pretty much ground zero for homeless issues. The mild climate and liberal city government conspire to create a magnet for the homeless - it never freezes or snows, and it's never much above 70F in the hotter times.

ETA: The liberal population continues to vote in supervisors that offer to do more. 'solving the homeless problem' is on every politician's agenda, and as you will see from the numbers below, the city is spending massive amounts of money on the problem.

Driving around some areas of SF is shocking. Entire streets are lined with tent camps. I just read this article which gives the extent of the issue ... SF's homeless problem: A civic disgrace

This paragraph is an eye-opener:

and ...

That's 'billion', not 'million' !

and this para, which addresses the fact that, if shelters exist, the homeless must be forced to use them or face consequences (not clear what those consequences could be ...):

This site shows a typical street scene ... https://ww2.kqed.org/news/2016/07/12...hborhood-view/
Do they have family friendly shelters there? A lot of the shelters around here are single sex and state no couples or families.
Old Apr 17th 2017, 6:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
Do they have family friendly shelters there? A lot of the shelters around here are single sex and state no couples or families.
There are family homeless shelters here in SF. I am guessing they are way oversubscribed.

Most homeless shelters that I am familiar with are single sex and don't allow even visitors from the opposite sex. I have a long-time friend who is now essentially homeless, and I've not been able to visit the last few places she's been living in.

I concur with most of what Steerpike writes. The tent camping situation is outrageous, and although I am sympathetic to the plight of the homeless, turning blocks of sidewalk into campsites simply isn't the answer. They are havens for crime (typically bike "chop shops") and drug use. There's one about a mile from my place that I used to cycle past, but the situation there has become so crime-ridden that I will no longer go past it.
Old Apr 17th 2017, 6:26 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

San Francisco sounds a lot like Vancouver Canada. Lots of tent citys here and in the burbs. 70 known last I saw.

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
There are family homeless shelters here in SF. I am guessing they are way oversubscribed.

Most homeless shelters that I am familiar with are single sex and don't allow even visitors from the opposite sex. I have a long-time friend who is now essentially homeless, and I've not been able to visit the last few places she's been living in.

I concur with most of what Steerpike writes. The tent camping situation is outrageous, and although I am sympathetic to the plight of the homeless, turning blocks of sidewalk into campsites simply isn't the answer. They are havens for crime (typically bike "chop shops") and drug use. There's one about a mile from my place that I used to cycle past, but the situation there has become so crime-ridden that I will no longer go past it.
Old Apr 17th 2017, 6:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Giantaxe

So it sounds like if you are a couple that becomes homeless, you either sleep in a tent or split up from your partner to make use of the shelters.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.