Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

The reality of government controlled healthcare.

The reality of government controlled healthcare.

Old Mar 26th 2017, 1:27 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: The reality of government controlled healthcare.

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
The NHS has saved my BIL's life twice now.

And I think we may be overlooking the point that the whole spend all retirement savings and go into debt thing that this family did is thenorm in this country if you cannot afford insurance or good insurance. Hence the whole Obamacare concept, a poor substitute for national health but better than nothing. The properly funded European systems are extremely good. Turning illness and disease into a rationed, for profit business is uncivilised. It's all very well if you are comfortably off, but if you aren't, not so much.
I had a friend who moved to Holland and had their first child in Holland, now he had a good view of it but as far as I could tell it had a major Insurance aspect, he was working for a Uni, and I have never quite understood the for profit aspect, everybody who works in the system wants a wage, even with the NHS most of the suppliers are for profit companies, who makes the beds, who makes the medicines, who builds the Hospitals.

I was involved in PFI, now that was a scam, very evident at the time.

NHS has the Post Code lottery and of course rations care, every system does, how can they not?
Old Mar 26th 2017, 1:43 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Not to forget that if you need to go in long term care / retirement home in the UK they will still try drain your assets to cover the cost.
Old Mar 26th 2017, 2:06 am
Account Closed

Is there anywhere which provides long term care that is not means tested?
Old Mar 26th 2017, 4:59 am
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tom169
Not to forget that if you need to go in long term care / retirement home in the UK they will still try drain your assets to cover the cost.
Same here.
Old Mar 26th 2017, 5:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Huh?

Fortunately I have had nothing significant, but have seen enough with my Parents and Grandparents to know there are major issues and I had friends working in the system and heard many OMG stories.
I hear OMG stories about the US system, I guess maybe they don't get as much publicity. One large hospital I am involved with has an OMG incident on average every 41 days.
Old Mar 26th 2017, 8:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
He can be blamed for being an incompetent nitwit. Obama and his congressional colleagues used a huge amount of time, skill and effort to get their congressional ducks in a row, twisted arms, had late night meetings etc. Result - they got the ACA enacted into law. Trump is a lazy, stupid man who knows nothing about Congress, it's procedures, or the personalities involved. So he failed to get his ducks in a row. I assume he didn't even know who his ducks were.
Not just Trump, the Republican party offers no better alternative to the ACA, and like the Democrats afraid to address to real issue of out of control medical costs. How many Americans benefitted from having coverage for pre-existing conditions ? Trump jumped on the anti-ACA bandwagon for political expediency, while established Republican politicians for years have complained about the ACA without offering a better alternative.
Old Mar 26th 2017, 9:14 am
Just Joined

dawntrump is an unknown quantity at this point

the US health care system revolves around insurance companies, so it's based on profit-taking corporations.

A better system would divorce itself from the insurance companies. With government running the show, there might be slightly lower quality care, but bureaucrats would put things out to bid, and compel doctors/hospitals/pharma to bring their prices down.
Old Mar 26th 2017, 4:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

I have never quite understood the for profit aspect, everybody who works in the system wants a wage, even with the NHS most of the suppliers are for profit companies, who makes the beds, who makes the medicines, who builds the Hospitals.
really? You can't work out how it works when an organisation pays their bills but has a policy of not making a profit/surplus? Really?
Old Mar 26th 2017, 4:52 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by yellowroom
really? You can't work out how it works when an organisation pays their bills but has a policy of not making a profit/surplus? Really?
I worked for a Construction company that built roads, hospitals etc. Now admittedly at the time it was not making much of a profit, did not realise it was morally wrong.
Old Mar 27th 2017, 12:15 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
Like having treatment only to find out afterwards that it was not covered by insurance even thought you had called the insurance company prior.
That happened to me in the early 00's. Insurance said they would cover an inpatient treatment option, then once I was discharged the insurance company decided they were not actually going to cover it.

Ended up going bankrupt from it, was the only option.

The system we have in Canada may have it's faults and issues, but at least you won't come out of hospital with massive debt and bills for the most part.
Old Mar 27th 2017, 12:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

I worked for a Construction company that built roads, hospitals etc. Now admittedly at the time it was not making much of a profit, did not realise it was morally wrong.
I don't think it has much to do with morals, more to do with taxes. Non-profits don't pay taxes. One of the differences between a crdit union and a bank.

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
That happened to me in the early 00's. Insurance said they would cover an inpatient treatment option, then once I was discharged the insurance company decided they were not actually going to cover it.

Ended up going bankrupt from it, was the only option.

The system we have in Canada may have it's faults and issues, but at least you won't come out of hospital with massive debt and bills for the most part.
It happen to me too, but luckily it was just a $600 procedure.
Old Mar 27th 2017, 3:32 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Huh?

Fortunately I have had nothing significant, but have seen enough with my Parents and Grandparents to know there are major issues and I had friends working in the system and heard many OMG stories.
Need I remind you the plural of anecdote is not data?
Old Mar 27th 2017, 3:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

NHS has the Post Code lottery and of course rations care, every system does, how can they not?
Indeed, every system rations care by some means. Which is what makes the premise of a thread entitled "The reality of government controlled healthcare" a little silly.
Old Mar 27th 2017, 4:05 am
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

There has to be some government involvement in any health care plan unless it's a general belief that abuse for profit cannot and does not exist.

I think it's about time that the government also got involved with the big drug companies
Old Mar 27th 2017, 7:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dc koop
There has to be some government involvement in any health care plan unless it's a general belief that abuse for profit cannot and does not exist.

I think it's about time that the government also got involved with the big drug companies
The drug companies do seem to make outrageous profits on some drugs, and in particular selling in US market. On the other hand the return on capital of large drug companies doesn't appear that much different than other companies overall.

Government regulation of hospitals and their fees perhaps would go further to reduce overall costs. Why not regulate similar to utilities- a reasonable profit but oversight on fees ? Maybe also have doctors set aside a certain percentage of their hours for those without private insurance, and for that matter accept the cost of increased Medicare by reducing the qualifying age to 60.

Last edited by morpeth; Mar 27th 2017 at 7:09 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.