Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

The reality of government controlled healthcare.

The reality of government controlled healthcare.

Old Mar 24th 2017, 8:30 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The reality of government controlled healthcare.

Originally Posted by thinbrit
Were you being sarcastic here?
No, it's the simple truth. It is chronically underfunded. It still works remarkably well (no doubt on the backs of underpaid, dedicated staff who go above and beyond the call of duty every day.)
Old Mar 24th 2017, 8:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

The article does not say that the parents could not have had the operation done privately in the UK. There was no mention of any government interference with the operation being carried out privately - only that an NHS trust hospital had stopped the procedure.

Going privately meant that the parents would have had to raise the money regardless of where it was carried out.
Old Mar 24th 2017, 8:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
The article does not say that the parents could not have had the operation done privately in the UK. There was no mention of any government interference with the operation being carried out privately - only that an NHS trust hospital had stopped the procedure.

Going privately meant that the parents would have had to raise the money regardless of where it was carried out.
Occasionally US hospitals/clinics have a lower ethic threshold for unnecessary procedures. If a consultant recommends against a procedure in the US, you can normally still find someone to do it. Same as for recommending drugs. In the UK it is not so easy to go against medical advice.
Old Mar 24th 2017, 8:52 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Well people sometimes leave the US for cheaper treatment overseas, it's true, but unless you're talking about experimental or "non traditional" treatments, I can't think of people leaving the US because there was no mechanism for paying for treatment which would otherwise be available.
Gene therapies, abortions. All kinds of things that one might have to travel around for over here.
Old Mar 24th 2017, 9:00 pm

thinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
No, it's the simple truth. It is chronically underfunded. It still works remarkably well (no doubt on the backs of underpaid, dedicated staff who go above and beyond the call of duty every day.)
I'm not sure how you can gauge that when the figures are freely manipulated. Having experienced my grandmother waiting for a procedure for over 6 years. She would be put on the waiting list, and shortly before she was due for her appointment she would have the appointment cancelled and be put on a new waiting list. She was not deemed statistically to have received poor care because the metric was for each waiting list, and not the total 6 year wait. I'm suspect she was counted towards having met the target appointment wait in each instance. Incidentally, she died before having her cataracts addressed, living almost blind those 6 years. A sample size of 1 I agree, but clear indication that the way quality of care is measured is open to manipulation. Reminds me of the VA scandal that operated a similar scheme to manipulate the data.
Old Mar 24th 2017, 9:03 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by thinbrit
I'm not sure how you can gauge that when the figures are freely manipulated. Having experienced my grandmother waiting for a procedure for over 6 years. She would be put on the waiting list, and shortly before she was due for her appointment she would have the appointment cancelled and be put on a new waiting list. She was not deemed statistically to have received poor care because the metric was for each waiting list, and not the total 6 year wait. I'm suspect she was counted towards having met the target appointment wait in each instance. Incidentally, she died before having her cataracts addressed, living almost blind those 6 years. A sample size of 1 I agree, but clear indication that the way quality of care is measured is open to manipulation. Reminds me of the VA scandal that operated a similar scheme to manipulate the data.
I would imagine most of us have our NHS stories.
Old Mar 25th 2017, 1:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Probably. Just as most of us have our insurance stories.

Last edited by Giantaxe; Mar 25th 2017 at 1:52 am.
Old Mar 25th 2017, 4:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Probably. Just as most of us have our insurance stories.
Like having treatment only to find out afterwards that it was not covered by insurance even thought you had called the insurance company prior.
Old Mar 25th 2017, 6:02 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Do stories about successful treatments that didn't cost an arm and a leg count or do they not fit your bullshit right wing narrative?
Old Mar 25th 2017, 6:19 am
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder how many people who fell for Trump's bullshit are now worrying about the future of their ObamaCare coverage?
Old Mar 25th 2017, 12:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dc koop
I wonder how many people who fell for Trump's bullshit are now worrying about the future of their ObamaCare coverage?
Well if their future under ObamaCare coverage is worse then you can hardly blame Trump for it.
Lets face it the US healthcare system is somewhat of a mess compared to the UK, Canada, Australia and a few other places.
Trump said he would repeal it but it never even got to the vote. Now Im not suggesting his plan was any better but if people start complaining about ObamaCoverage then how can Trump be blamed?
Old Mar 25th 2017, 12:49 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Well if their future under ObamaCare coverage is worse then you can hardly blame Trump for it.
Lets face it the US healthcare system is somewhat of a mess compared to the UK, Canada, Australia and a few other places.
Trump said he would repeal it but it never even got to the vote. Now Im not suggesting his plan was any better but if people start complaining about ObamaCoverage then how can Trump be blamed?
He can be blamed for being an incompetent nitwit. Obama and his congressional colleagues used a huge amount of time, skill and effort to get their congressional ducks in a row, twisted arms, had late night meetings etc. Result - they got the ACA enacted into law. Trump is a lazy, stupid man who knows nothing about Congress, it's procedures, or the personalities involved. So he failed to get his ducks in a row. I assume he didn't even know who his ducks were.
Old Mar 25th 2017, 4:06 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
He can be blamed for being an incompetent nitwit. Obama and his congressional colleagues used a huge amount of time, skill and effort to get their congressional ducks in a row, twisted arms, had late night meetings etc. Result - they got the ACA enacted into law. Trump is a lazy, stupid man who knows nothing about Congress, it's procedures, or the personalities involved. So he failed to get his ducks in a row. I assume he didn't even know who his ducks were.
He has no ducks!! He's a duckless president! He only has pigs. Pigs at the trough. We saw this when they wrote that joke of a Muslim ban. Twice. Trump is too lazy to formulate his own Executive Orders and too pig stupid to realize that his entourage is just as incompetent as he is.

He did the same thing with healthcare. The White House has nobody who can write policy so he let Paul Ryan run with the ball. That was the happiest week of Ryan's life. He has a rubber stamp from the POTUS and Republican control of both houses ... he was peeing with glee until ... reality set in. The Republicans are still as fractured as they ever were, the president doesn't really give a shit and Trump's base hates Ryan. Whoopsie.

DC is absolutely swimming with competent policy people. Even the lowliest of congressman has staffers than can draw up policy. Trump should have had his healthcare plan written long before the election was over. But yeah.
Old Mar 25th 2017, 4:19 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Do stories about successful treatments that didn't cost an arm and a leg count or do they not fit your bullshit right wing narrative?
Huh?

Fortunately I have had nothing significant, but have seen enough with my Parents and Grandparents to know there are major issues and I had friends working in the system and heard many OMG stories.
Old Mar 26th 2017, 1:16 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

The NHS has saved my BIL's life twice now.

And I think we may be overlooking the point that the whole spend all retirement savings and go into debt thing that this family did is thenorm in this country if you cannot afford insurance or good insurance. Hence the whole Obamacare concept, a poor substitute for national health but better than nothing. The properly funded European systems are extremely good. Turning illness and disease into a rationed, for profit business is uncivilised. It's all very well if you are comfortably off, but if you aren't, not so much.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.