Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Real Quick- Microwave Oven?

Real Quick- Microwave Oven?

Old Nov 24th 2017, 8:34 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Real Quick- Microwave Oven?

Thanks all! Visited Home Depot and Lowes this morning and came home with this for $60 from HD with $10 off. By coincidence I stopped at Winn Dixie as I was out of bacon, but I cooked it in a frying pan.

Sorry forgot to mention it was a counter top I was after!

The one that burned out, I put out by the road last night. It is already gone.
Attached Thumbnails Real Quick- Microwave Oven?-20171124_154144%5B1%5D.jpg  
Old Nov 24th 2017, 9:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RICH
By coincidence I stopped at Winn Dixie as I was out of bacon, but I cooked it in a frying pan.
Top man.
Old Nov 25th 2017, 11:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Maste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond repute

My mum used to do bacon back home in the microwave. Kinda weird, but worked fine.
Old Nov 25th 2017, 12:07 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RICH
Thanks all! Visited Home Depot and Lowes this morning and came home with this for $60 from HD with $10 off. By coincidence I stopped at Winn Dixie as I was out of bacon, but I cooked it in a frying pan.

Sorry forgot to mention it was a counter top I was after!

The one that burned out, I put out by the road last night. It is already gone.
Congratulations on finding a good deal. .... At that price it is definitely in the same bracket as kettles and toasters.
Old Nov 25th 2017, 1:51 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Nice going on that great price. I like the countertop microwave instead of the top or wall mount ones. But frankly, I rather not have one at all. Takes up space and is only used occasionally for things that can be done on the stove or in the oven.
Old Nov 25th 2017, 5:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Go read the last two lines again! ... From where I said "I use the timer function", then the phrase in parentheses.
Sorry, got it! yes, it does function well as a rather expensive but always available timer! I use it that way quite often. Smartphones are another 'readily available' timer.

Originally Posted by zzrmark
True but if we had real bacon in the house I doubt if it would change her habits! Bizarrely enough, it doesn't come out too bad???
Originally Posted by Nutmegger
I nuke bacon, and it comes out just fine.
Bacon (American streaky type) comes out way better in the uWave! In a pan, the bacon almost immediately deforms (curls) and thus, much of the surface area rises from the pan, and thus does not get heated enough. In the uWave, if you get the timing right, you get perfectly crisped bacon. I personally put two layers of paper towel below, and another two above, to absorb all the fat.

By the way - if you want to have some fun, put an old CD in the uWave and run it for about 2-3 seconds. I've done that to destroy old data backups on CD-Rs. Do this with an old uWave you don't mind replacing
Old Nov 25th 2017, 6:00 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike

Bacon (American streaky type) comes out way better in the uWave! In a pan, the bacon almost immediately deforms (curls) and thus, much of the surface area rises from the pan, and thus does not get heated enough. In the uWave, if you get the timing right, you get perfectly crisped bacon. I personally put two layers of paper towel below, and another two above, to absorb all the fat.
We had a discussion on special pans/containers for the microwave above and I do use a bacon platter. The bacon sits atop ridges and the fat collects at the bottom. I always cover the bacon with a paper towel on top, as you describe, to avoid splattering. This method results in lovely crispy bacon plus bacon grease that is easily drained into a jar to save for refried beans and suchlike.
Old Nov 27th 2017, 12:44 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I toast bread, add cheese and then zap for 15 seconds.