Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Puss cat posts moved from Unspeakable things thread.

Puss cat posts moved from Unspeakable things thread.

Old May 20th 2017, 5:32 pm
Back in US & happy!

becks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Unspeakable things....

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Mrs P took Milton (our above mentioned cat) to the vet for his annual rabies shot and check-up, .... and the vet discovered that he has cancer, pretty badly - backed up by second and third opinions from two other vets in the practice. The prognosis is a life expectancy measured in days, likely less than a month, maybe less than a week.
I'm really sorry to hear your cat has cancer, I wish you and your family all the best in the situation.

My dog that I brought over from UK was diagnosed with cancer a few years ago, told had 3 months at best. Our vet suggested Chinese herbal medicine, I looked up research about it and found that most dogs do badly on chemo, but this herbal stuff actually works well on some cancers (not sure if it works on all). It doesn't cure it, she still died, but it seems to slow it down, especially if you catch it early, and we found out by mistake. Anyway, we put her on the herbal tablets and from being told 3 months, we had her for 18 months and she died 3 months after her 13th birthday. The average age for her breed, big dog, was 11. And she was like a puppy, loads of energy, right up to that last weekend.

So I am with you about quality of life. On chemo, it would have been expensive and wouldn't have made her live any longer and she would have been ill on it. On the herbal stuff, well it wasn't cheap because she was a big dog, but it wasn't exorbitant either, and she was in great health on it. But I was lucky to have a vet here that was trained in Chinese herbal and acupuncture as well as being a regular vet and she was also good at only suggesting what was best for the dog.

BTW - I'm not suggesting you do this for your cat, just letting you and other forum members about the option. It gave me way more time with my dog, so I am happy I did it. But I don't for one minute believe it is the right option for everyone
Old May 20th 2017, 5:34 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Mrs P took Milton (our above mentioned cat) to the vet for his annual rabies shot and check-up, .... and the vet discovered that he has cancer, pretty badly - backed up by second and third opinions from two other vets in the practice. The prognosis is a life expectancy measured in days, likely less than a month, maybe less than a week.
So sorry to hear that Mr P, sad news indeed.

Sending a virtual hug...

Old May 20th 2017, 5:43 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by becks_r
I'm really sorry to hear your cat has cancer, I wish you and your family all the best in the situation.

My dog that I brought over from UK was diagnosed (backed up with a second opinion and lab-work) with cancer a few years ago, told had 3 months at best. Our vet suggested Chinese herbal medicine, I looked up research about it and found that most dogs do badly on chemo, but this herbal stuff actually works well on some cancers (not sure if it works on all). It doesn't cure it, she still died, but it seems to slow it down, especially if you catch it early, and we found out by mistake. Anyway, we put her on the herbal tablets and from being told 3 months, we had her for 18 months and she died 3 months after her 13th birthday. The average age for her breed, big dog, was 11. And she was like a puppy, loads of energy, right up to that last weekend.

So I am with you about quality of life. On chemo, it would have been expensive and wouldn't have made her live any longer and she would have been ill on it. On the herbal stuff, well it wasn't cheap because she was a big dog, but it wasn't exorbitant either, and she was in great health on it. But I was lucky to have a vet here that was trained in Chinese herbal and acupuncture as well as being a regular vet and she was also good at only suggesting what was best for the dog.

BTW - I'm not suggesting you do this for your cat, just letting you and other forum members about the option. It gave me way more time with my dog, so I am happy I did it. But I don't for one minute believe it is the right option for everyone
There are certainly some interesting options that work in some cases - my sister has a lab mix that was diagnosed about three years ago with an aggressive cancer in its jaw - there were no treatment options given that removal of the affected bone was effectively impossible. My sister read that "cancers feed on carbohydrates" and switched to feeding the dog a raw meat diet, mostly of chickens IIRC. The dog is still happy and "healthy" three years later, when life expectancy was predicted at no more than six months even if the dog had had chemo-style treatment.

Last edited by Pulaski; May 20th 2017 at 6:07 pm.
Old May 21st 2017, 11:17 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Well that truly sucks. Huge sympathies to you and yours.
Old May 22nd 2017, 1:29 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Puss cat posts moved from Unspeakable things thread.

Mrs P took Milton (our above mentioned cat) to the vet for his annual rabies shot and check-up, .... and the vet discovered that he has cancer, pretty badly - backed up by second and third opinions from two other vets in the practice. The prognosis is a life expectancy measured in days, likely less than a month, maybe less than a week
Gawd. I'm sad to read this MrP.

Go and give him the best love . You've all been through a lot together.
Old May 22nd 2017, 4:49 am
Turning into a PA gal!

lizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond reputelizzyq has a reputation beyond repute

So sorry to hear about Milton's diagnosis. Tough on you all. BTDT.
Old May 22nd 2017, 8:54 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear about Milton. Cats are the best people. 😽
Old May 23rd 2017, 1:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

Very sorry to hear about the prognosis, and hope he and you enjoy what time he has left.

As an aside for stomach issues - our young cat was vomiting every day, and costing us a fortune in Hills Prescription diet food. Our old-fashioned, old-school vet recommended Kitekat as opposed to the Whiskas posh pouches and other organic stuff we had been feeding the cats in an effort to find something that didn't make him sick. Apparently the el-cheapo stuff is less "messed around with" and has less additives and kinder on their tummies.

Anyway, it worked and he's very happy on it and any other basic, "own brand" canned food. Currently weighing 4.4kg at 10 months old and still getting bigger, but that's probably because he's developed his own "raw" diet courtesy of the local wild rabbit population. Poor bunnies.
Old Jun 13th 2017, 4:19 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

The pusscat ?
Old Jun 13th 2017, 4:33 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
The pusscat ?
I was just thinking this evening about updating this thread. Well little Milton is a fighter, and he isn't giving up easily. He hasn't changed much in what is now three weeks since he was given 1-4 weeks to live. He still seems happy and is very affectionate, and is eating fairly well, but he has chronic diarrhea, though it doesn't seem to concern him too much.

He has always been a thin cat, but despite eating fairly well he is losing weight, presumably at least in part due to the diarrhea. The vet has tried to treat the diarrhea, but with no apparent success, probably because the cancer is associated with his intestines and internal organs.

So for now we are taking things a week at a time, but I fear at some point, perhaps with little warning, he will just stop eating, which is what will happen if the cancer spreads to his throat.

I will keep you posted.
Old Jun 13th 2017, 4:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

You do realize cats shouldn't drink beer. You have been too focused on the diet. Maybe it's a hops allergy.

Too much beer will cause vomiting, and the ability to spread it around the house without a care in the world.

On a more serious note, my condolences. My old cat had it coming out both ends before he finally had to be put down at the ripe old age of 19
Old Jun 13th 2017, 11:13 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

I was just thinking this evening about updating this thread. Well little Milton is a fighter, and he isn't giving up easily. He hasn't changed much in what is now three weeks since he was given 1-4 weeks to live. He still seems happy and is very affectionate, and is eating fairly well, but he has chronic diarrhea, though it doesn't seem to concern him too much.

He has always been a thin cat, but despite eating fairly well he is losing weight, presumably at least in part due to the diarrhea. The vet has tried to treat the diarrhea, but with no apparent success, probably because the cancer is associated with his intestines and internal organs.

So for now we are taking things a week at a time, but I fear at some point, perhaps with little warning, he will just stop eating, which is what will happen if the cancer spreads to his throat.

I will keep you posted.
This all slipped by me somehow. Sorry buddy.
Old Jun 13th 2017, 9:19 pm
Back in US & happy!

becks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond repute

I am very glad to hear Milton is still with you, although the chronic diarrhea must be upsetting for you and your family. I find it amazing what survivors our pets are and I hope he continues to beat the life expectancy he was given by the vet
Old Jun 14th 2017, 2:43 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry about Milton. I'm sure he's had a great life with you and you are doing whatever is best for him now.
Old Jun 25th 2017, 3:05 pm

25/6/17 Milton is still, so far as we can tell, happily oblivious to his prognosis. He is eating well, but suffers from intermittent diarrhea.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.