British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   Processco Wine (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/processco-wine-903296/)

Ash UK/US Sep 13th 2017 4:50 pm

Processco Wine

It seems like every one in the UK is drinking Processco, ok maybe an exaggeration, but it is more talked about on Facebook etc then any other wine at the moment, it seems to be slowly catching on here too.

Who all has tried it?

I finally tried it on the weekend, whist it was good, I didn't get what all the hype was about.

robin1234 Sep 13th 2017 5:01 pm

Re: Processco Wine

I'm assuming you mean prosecco. (There is a brand name Processco, but it is wood pellets from Quebec.)

My take on it is that inexpensive, non-Champagne sparkling wines have always been popular. My parents always preferred Asti Spumante for special occasions, for instance. Prosecco is the popular one at the moment, it's dry and quite drinkable, unlike some of the really cheap sparkling wines. I think people now sometimes say "prosecco" when they mean "sparkling wine." Another I've always quite liked is freixinet, from Spain. Freixenet, that is...

Rete Sep 13th 2017 5:02 pm

I've been drinking it for years. I like it with a bit of peach juice added as a beverage to have with brunch on a Sunday morning. This is what is served at a fine dining establishment that is owned by a renowned chef when they have their Sunday brunch. It is the only time that I ever have alcohol and we only go there once a year on a special occasion.

Anian Sep 13th 2017 6:01 pm

Tastes better than champagne but doesn't have the huge mark-up. Still just a sparkling wine though, so it depends on what you expect from a drink.

Jack8602 Sep 13th 2017 6:49 pm

Meh, average at best in my opinion.

I like to have an IPA with any brunch i get :D

scrubbedexpat099 Sep 13th 2017 8:24 pm

Nothing new in CO.

robin1234 Sep 13th 2017 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 12337550)
Nothing new in CO.

There isn't? Absolutely nothing??

joto Sep 13th 2017 8:33 pm

There are some that are rank, but some that are really quite pleasant. It takes a while and a few bottles to find out which one(s) you like.:decision:

Maste Sep 13th 2017 8:54 pm

I don't get the hype around it. I know a lot of friends before I moved back over (yes a bunch of guys) who would drink Prosseco on a night out all night long. I stuck to my usual cider and ales.

petitefrancaise Sep 13th 2017 9:07 pm

Ice cold and with a dash of creme de cassis. Yummy. Otherwise, won't touch it. Cheap rubbish that gives me a headache.

I was slightly bemused by the cider flavours offered here in Austin- Pineapple? Blood Orange? but actually I like them. Dry cider with a nice refreshing fruity taste.

Ash UK/US Sep 15th 2017 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by robin1234 (Post 12337443)
I'm assuming you mean prosecco. (There is a brand name Processco, but it is wood pellets from Quebec.)

LOL yes, I even checked the spelling before writing and still typed it wrong :rofl:

yellowroom Sep 15th 2017 2:36 pm

There's plenty of cheap rubbish prosecco about that is only good for cocktails, but you can still get decent bottles for under £10 in the UK. Make sure it has "DOC" on the label to show it's the genuine stuff from the right region of Italy.

It's popular at the moment because sparkling wine still feels a bit special/celebratory, but it is nicer tasting than cheap champagne and doesn't cause cat's bum mouth. Plus it reminds people of their holidays in Tuscany, where every meal starts with a glass of prosecco.

Englishmum Sep 15th 2017 6:10 pm

I used to drink it a lot during the Summertime when I was living in Switzerland: it cost approx US$8 a bottle in Aldi and Lidl (and good quality it was too) and I moved back to the States a year ago. It's a nice drink on a hot day.

Actually during the past 2-3 years a very popular drink which became fashionable (including the UK) was to have an 'Aperol Spritz' - a mixture of Aperol liqueur (the same orange colour of Lucozade) with Prosecco or a sparkling wine and sometime diluted further with sparkling soda water. Personally I think that Aperol tastes a tad bitter so I'm not too keen on it.

I've heard that people who claim to be 'in the know' in the UK are now choosing the Spanish 'Cava' sparkling wine in preference to the Italian 'Prosecco'....it is apparently cheaper to buy but of better quality. No idea if this is correct or not though!

robin1234 Sep 15th 2017 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by Englishmum (Post 12339061)
I used to drink it a lot during the Summertime when I was living in Switzerland: it cost approx US$8 a bottle in Aldi and Lidl (and good quality it was too) and I moved back to the States a year ago. It's a nice drink on a hot day.

Actually during the past 2-3 years a very popular drink which became fashionable (including the UK) was to have an 'Aperol Spritz' - a mixture of Aperol liqueur (the same orange colour of Lucozade) with Prosecco or a sparkling wine and sometime diluted further with sparkling soda water. Personally I think that Aperol tastes a tad bitter so I'm not too keen on it.

I've heard that people who claim to be 'in the know' in the UK are now choosing the Spanish 'Cava' sparkling wine in preference to the Italian 'Prosecco'....it is apparently cheaper to buy but of better quality. No idea if this is correct or not though!

A quick search on Tesco shows seven Cavas available for delivery, and eleven Proseccos. All more or less in the £6 - £12 range. Just a wild guess, but probably most of the bubbly they sell is one of those two types. English sparkling wine is increasingly available, but higher price probably..

caretaker Sep 15th 2017 8:38 pm

Henkell Troken is good, if I'm being cheap I'll get Asti Spumanti, (I call it speweys).