Pregnant in America

Old Feb 9th 2009, 4:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Pregnant in America

I think this came out a while back, but a search of the forum didn't immediately reveal anything. Anyone see this movie/documentary??

I saw it at the weekend. Pretty shocking. One element that I found amazing was that one couple was told by the hospital that a birth there was going to cost them in the order of $20,000. So they actually went to Canada to have the baby... only cost them $8000! And that required a C-section!

The number of C-sections was just incredible too. They highlighted one hospital in Miami where 80% of births were C-sections. The World Health Organization says the number should never exceed 15%!

The documentary went on to highlight all the unnecessary tests and procedures women go through in the US, all to basically make sure the doctor doesn't get sued. Despite all these extra procedures, USA is 32nd in the list of lowest infant mortalities. Iceland is the best and the UK is 20th. Incredibly, in 27th position and ahead of the US... is Cuba!

It's all a bit slanted... "America is bad, doctors are evil, etc". Still, worth a look.
Old Feb 10th 2009, 12:20 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pregnant in America

Also a lot of it depends on where abouts you are, places with lower birth rates tend to have higher C-sections because they cost more...
Old Feb 10th 2009, 12:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I'm so glad I gave birth in the UK, one a home birth.
Old Feb 10th 2009, 12:39 am
Ginger Monkey

Gingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond repute

Yes yes yes. All this am I learning.

My sister is due three days before me in the UK, and although we're neck and neck in our development, her pregnancy experience has been really different. I think I've received a phenomenal standard of care so far though. I really respect the doctors and nurses here.
Old Feb 10th 2009, 1:07 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I'm so glad I gave birth in the UK, one a home birth.

My daughter is an American and had a home birth in September. Cost to her $1,500. Don't have to be in the UK to have that type of birth.
Old Feb 10th 2009, 1:13 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
My daughter is an American and had a home birth in September. Cost to her $1,500. Don't have to be in the UK to have that type of birth.
But it wouldn't cost $1,500.
Old Feb 10th 2009, 1:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

That is good to know.
Old Feb 10th 2009, 1:58 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
But it wouldn't cost $1,500.
didnt cost me that much to have my home birth! - and it would have been a LOT more in a hospital!
Old Feb 10th 2009, 2:48 am
BE Forum Addict

The Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MsElui
didnt cost me that much to have my home birth! - and it would have been a LOT more in a hospital!
You all had bargain homebirths!!
I had an independent midwife in London, it cost £2500, up to £3000 now I think. I had a C-Section with my first and simply didn't have the energy to fight with medical staff to get a homebirth second time round so we opted to pay instead, it was worth every penny - and was much more painful than a C-section
Old Feb 10th 2009, 5:34 am

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hobbes79
I think this came out a while back, but a search of the forum didn't immediately reveal anything. Anyone see this movie/documentary??

I saw it at the weekend. Pretty shocking. One element that I found amazing was that one couple was told by the hospital that a birth there was going to cost them in the order of $20,000. So they actually went to Canada to have the baby... only cost them $8000! And that required a C-section!
I wonder how that works with immigration? If you give birth in Canada do you get a Canadian passport for the baby to get back in the US then apply for a US one?
Old Feb 10th 2009, 11:35 am
Dizzy Blonde

clarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond reputeclarissageo has a reputation beyond repute

The number of C-sections was just incredible too. They highlighted one hospital in Miami where 80% of births were C-sections. The World Health Organization says the number should never exceed 15%!

The documentary went on to highlight all the unnecessary tests and procedures women go through in the US, all to basically make sure the doctor doesn't get sued. Despite all these extra procedures, USA is 32nd in the list of lowest infant mortalities. Iceland is the best and the UK is 20th. Incredibly, in 27th position and ahead of the US... is Cuba!

It's all a bit slanted... "America is bad, doctors are evil, etc". Still, worth a look.
Despite all the beautiful babies that have been posted over the last few weeks, that information has cured my broodiness and reminded me to keep my legs firmly shut!
Old Feb 10th 2009, 12:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Janek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond reputeJanek66 has a reputation beyond repute

Not all states 'allow' home birth, some states don't allow birth by midwife either, nor do some insurance plans cover it.
Old Feb 10th 2009, 1:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

Is that a different film from 'The Business of being Born' the Ricki Lake documentary?

Originally Posted by Janek66
Not all states 'allow' home birth, some states don't allow birth by midwife either, nor do some insurance plans cover it.
But women still have homebirths in those States with or without midwives. I had a lay midwife when I had my homebirth but she was 'assisted' by a CNM, because I had twins and it is illegal for CNMs to attend twin homebirths in PA. It's a veritable minefield of what's legal and what's not in different States, some States are much more progressive, I think the most midwife friendly states are Oregon, and Texas.
Old Feb 10th 2009, 2:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Oh ****...

I've been told I have to pay the $500 deductible upfront or my wife won't get admitted.
Old Feb 10th 2009, 2:57 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
Oh ****...

I've been told I have to pay the $500 deductible upfront or my wife won't get admitted.
It's a no win situation-my son and DIL had to pay $250.00 to hold a spot for infant daycare. This when she was like 2 months pregnant.

At least these things are tax deductable.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.