Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Please help me plan my vaca in UK

Please help me plan my vaca in UK

Old Jul 19th 2015, 9:01 pm
moi
Forum Regular

moi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Please help me plan my vaca in UK

I have spent the last few days just looking around the internet and not getting very far. My husband, me, and 10 year old son are off to my home in Hull for 2 weeks 2nd and 3rd week in August.
But if we stay at my families house the whole time I will end up in either the looney bin or done for murder. I am trying to make it into a proper vacation rather than spending the whole time in Hull, although going to the pubs, going shopping, going to The Deep/Aquarium for my son, and seeing old stomping ground etc will be fun for a couple of days and I need to also visit my fathers grave. BUT I have some ideas and I just don't know how to go about it.....thinking of going up to Edinburgh for the Tattoo Festival and touring the Lochs...going on the Ferry that leaves Hull to Zeebrugge and then to Bruges....or going down to the Cotswolds ....or going to Cornwall. Not sure if these are far fettched or realites OR do any of you guys have any good ideas that you have done. I am also trying to figure out do I rent a car, do I take the train, or do I take a National Coach tour? I want to feel like we took a real vacation, rather than getting back here and wishing for a proper vacation and try to fit in what I can. Any reasonable suggestions?? Thank you!!
Old Jul 20th 2015, 4:27 am
Banned

ellio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Please help me plan my vaca in UK

2 weeks is such a short time and an expensive flight for most of us. And yes staying with family can be horrible as they tend to like to plan your vacation time for you.

What i do now is send my wife and kids over to stay with the in laws for two weeks and then i fly over for two weeks after. The kids get a whole month in the UK during the school holidays, better than any American summer camp And i get to avoid any time with the mother in law from hell.

If you are going to do anything in the UK travel wise then you really must pre book. The UK has become a horrible book in advance society these days. I took my kids down the end of Bournemouth pier this summer, they had a little rope course and a few climbing walls. I had to book in advance or pay 7 pounds extra over the normal 20 pounds for the 20 minutes on the spot.

Last edited by ellio; Jul 20th 2015 at 4:33 am.
Old Jul 20th 2015, 4:31 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ellio
2 weeks is such a short time and an expensive flight for most of us. And yes staying with family can be horrible as they tend to like to plan your vacation time for you.

What i do now is send my wife and kids over to stay with the in laws for two weeks and then i fly over for two weeks after. The kids get a whole month in the UK during the school holidays, better than any American summer camp And i get to avoid any time with the mother in law from hell.

If you are going to do anything in the UK travel wise then you really must pre book. The UK has become a horrible book in advance society these days.

And that is a big reason why so many American's never travel outside the country, the cost and time is too great for the small amount of time many have off work.
Old Jul 20th 2015, 6:03 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
And that is a big reason why so many American's never travel outside the country, the cost and time is too great for the small amount of time many have off work.
Yes I dont think anyone could argue with that however i was trying to help the OP with some sugestions however crap they maybe
Old Jul 20th 2015, 3:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moi
I have spent the last few days just looking around the internet and not getting very far. My husband, me, and 10 year old son are off to my home in Hull for 2 weeks 2nd and 3rd week in August.
But if we stay at my families house the whole time I will end up in either the looney bin or done for murder. I am trying to make it into a proper vacation rather than spending the whole time in Hull, although going to the pubs, going shopping, going to The Deep/Aquarium for my son, and seeing old stomping ground etc will be fun for a couple of days and I need to also visit my fathers grave. BUT I have some ideas and I just don't know how to go about it.....thinking of going up to Edinburgh for the Tattoo Festival and touring the Lochs...going on the Ferry that leaves Hull to Zeebrugge and then to Bruges....or going down to the Cotswolds ....or going to Cornwall. Not sure if these are far fettched or realites OR do any of you guys have any good ideas that you have done. I am also trying to figure out do I rent a car, do I take the train, or do I take a National Coach tour? I want to feel like we took a real vacation, rather than getting back here and wishing for a proper vacation and try to fit in what I can. Any reasonable suggestions?? Thank you!!
If you rent a car, you may not be able to take it out of the Country. It's a long crossing to Zeebrugge or Rotterdam. May be better off looking at Ryanair or Sleazyjet, to fit in with your timings.

National Holidays may have a short Coach Break which will suit you.

Jim.
Old Jul 20th 2015, 4:58 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Castles, castles are always cool, and dotted round all over the place, though IMO the best ones are in or near Wales. Also stone circles, even if you can't make it all the way to Stonehenge, there are others dotted around the country. I know that a stone circle wouldn't fill a whole day, but if you're in the area they're usually worth a look.

Closer to Hull (my mother is from Hull, my grandmother lived on North Rd), York is worth a visit - the city walls, The Shambles, and the railway museum. Also the North Yorkshire Moors Railway.
Old Jul 20th 2015, 5:20 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

For three people, intercity travel within the UK by car is probably cheapest and most convenient; for two, I would probably still opt to drive. I would use trains and coaches for solo travel, but that obviously doesn't apply to your situation.

Unless you leave the kid in Hull, you'll need to have a kid-friendly itinerary. I like the Cotswolds, but a 10-year old boy would probably be bored to death there.

A trip to Edinburgh via York might be your best bet. (I am presuming that these would be more kid-friendly, although I could be wrong.)

I am also quite fond of Bruges, and it's a great place to spend a night or two because much of the tourism consists of daytrippers who leave by day's end and allow you to enjoy the place in relative peace. If you do go there and history interests you, then a daytrip to Ypres while you are based in Bruges is worthwhile. (Brussels is fairly grim as far as major European cities go, and you can happily skip it.)

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Honestly, I don't think that many Americans care all that much. If the choice is between a nicer car and a cool trip, most people will opt for the wheels.
Old Jul 20th 2015, 5:24 pm
moi
Forum Regular

moi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond reputemoi has a reputation beyond repute

Ok I think we are getting a little closer with Zooming in and planning.
We are going to spend the first 3 days around the Hull area - (may take in a Tigers soccer game first day, then do Hull center, visit my fathers grave, maybe The Deep).
Take a ride to York or to Harrogate or to Whitby. Can never get tired off York even though we've been several times. And I'm hooked on Last Tango in Halifax TV show and would love to visit Betty's Tea Room, been to Harrogate once before. Might bore my 10 year old though in Harrogate.
Then rent a car from Hull for 1 full week. Forget the P&O foot ferry to Brugges (need more time unfortunately).
Going to take a look at some of the hotels they use with National Express Coach trips as to ideas for hotels.

Not sure yet where to set off then for a few days in the rental car - maybe up to Scotland, Wales, or South England. Never been to Scotland, Wales, Ireland, Lake District, Stafford Upon Avon, Bath, Cotswolds..been living over in the US way too long.

We have done Torquay, London, Liverpool, Cadburys Factory, Safari Park, LEGOLAND, Plymouth, Dartmouth, Lincoln, Cleethorpes, Whitby, Knaresborough, York, Scarborough before.

For some reason the Tattoo festival and Scotland keep tugging on me and to see the Lochs. So many cool places in so many different directions...

Pulaski - my son does love castles and so do I. North Road hey - 5 mins away. I used to live in Gipsyville before my parents divorced and then moved to Hessle Road.
Old Jul 20th 2015, 5:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

As well as York there is lots to see and do in the Hull & East Riding area, not just the Deep - off the top of my head Fort Paull, Spurn Point, Burton Agnes Hall, Bridlington, Flamborough Head & Lighthouse, Beverley - Races, Minster, St Mary's etc.

Rugby season will have finished but the footie season will have started, so you could see if there will be a Hull City game at the KC?

Schools are still out in England & Wales in August, but they return in Scotland mid-August, so availability for accommodation may be slightly better north of the border.

Trains from Hull relatively ok, need to change at Doncaster/Selby for points north/south/west, but there are regular direct trains to London now that take under 3 hours. Feasible to do a day trip to do one or two things eg Tower of London if you don't mind a long day and get the first train out and last train back. Or even a couple of days midweek, lots of Premier Inns etc in London now, wouldn't break the bank for a night stay.
Old Jul 20th 2015, 5:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moi
Pulaski - my son does love castles and so do I. North Road hey - 5 mins away. I used to live in Gipsyville before my parents divorced and then moved to Hessle Road.
You need to teach your husband/son the right way to say that!! 'Ezzle Rerd.
Old Jul 20th 2015, 8:55 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by moi
For some reason the Tattoo festival and Scotland keep tugging on me
I feel bad as a parent having not taken my 10 year old to a Tattoo festival in Scotland.

Of all the things and places ....
Old Jul 20th 2015, 10:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

Rail travel is staggeringly cheap if booked in advance, to a specific train. We buzzed all over the UK on trains last time, and even for 4 of us it was often cheaper to take intercity trains FIRST CLASS than it would have been to hire a car. Much less hassle too, and the kids (then 13 and 9) loved it, as they got swanky snack packs and wifi access. (Plus when train travel came up in class one day, my son and one other girl were the only ones putting their hands up to say they'd been on one, so it's an excellent life lesson for their future adult selves in navigating public transport).

The other thing we did that worked well was taking a couple of holiday caravans in Norfolk for the few days we spent with one set of grandparents. They hadn't seen each other for a year or two, and it was much easier to rekindle their relationship over the beach, amusements, fairground rides, etc, than it would've been perched on a sofa with a cup of tea making awkward conversation.
Old Jul 21st 2015, 5:23 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
For three people, intercity travel within the UK by car is probably cheapest and most convenient; for two, I would probably still opt to drive. I would use trains and coaches for solo travel, but that obviously doesn't apply to your situation.

Unless you leave the kid in Hull, you'll need to have a kid-friendly itinerary. I like the Cotswolds, but a 10-year old boy would probably be bored to death there.

A trip to Edinburgh via York might be your best bet. (I am presuming that these would be more kid-friendly, although I could be wrong.)

I am also quite fond of Bruges, and it's a great place to spend a night or two because much of the tourism consists of daytrippers who leave by day's end and allow you to enjoy the place in relative peace. If you do go there and history interests you, then a daytrip to Ypres while you are based in Bruges is worthwhile. (Brussels is fairly grim as far as major European cities go, and you can happily skip it.)

Honestly, I don't think that many Americans care all that much. If the choice is between a nicer car and a cool trip, most people will opt for the wheels.
The car does give one way more years of use then a trip would.

I like to travel, but it's just too much $$, and limited time off means no real point in leaving the continent. If the time and money was there, I'd be travelling all over the world.
Old Jul 21st 2015, 5:30 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ellio
I feel bad as a parent having not taken my 10 year old to a Tattoo festival in Scotland.

Of all the things and places ....
You do realise, presumably, that the OP is not referring to a celebration of body ink, but to this Welcome to the Official Website for The Royal Edinburgh Military Tattoo ? Different sort of tattoo altogether, and probably a bit more appealing to a 10 year old
Old Jul 21st 2015, 6:16 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

A 10 year old would likely enjoy Flamingoland. It's changed a bit since our school trips in the 70's.

And if he's into trains, the Railway Museum at York can be a full day on its own!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.