Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Playing the Constitution card.

Playing the Constitution card.

Old Apr 13th 2017, 7:49 pm
Forum Regular

fakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Playing the Constitution card.

Originally Posted by dc koop
Aside from all this I don't envy teachers and the job they have to do. Certainly they don't get enough pay.
I hear a lot from my granddaughters about some of the things that go in the classroom, rowdiness, lack of attention, back chat to name a few. They get sent to the prinicipal's office for whatever good that will do or it's brought to the attention of their parents. In many cases the kids behave at home as they do in school. All these prima donna little brats do is hold up the rest of the class.

I don't condone it and it's well that it's a thing of the past but in my day a visit to the headmaster's office and a whack on each hand with a bamboo cane , which as I remember hurt like hell was enough of a threat to keep us awake and attentive during class
Everybody needs a little tune-up from time to time.
My Mother was a teacher - & it can really be a thankless, grinding job.
Old Apr 14th 2017, 3:19 pm
Just Joined

bartholemues is an unknown quantity at this point

I was single at the time. It woke me up quite often after I dozed off during one of the programs. I'm not ashamed to admit that I liked listening to it being played with the stars and stripes a flutter on the screen. America was my new country and I was proud to be part of it.

In many ways those days, even with the troubles that existed at the time were a damned sight better than the loony tunes, extremely dangerous times we're currently living through today
There's nothing particularly dangerous about current times; it can just feel that way due to the 24 hour news cycle/internet throwing every little bit of negative news at us all day. The US is objectively safer today than I'm guessing it was around the time you arrived, as it most of the rest of the world outside of the Middle East.
Old Apr 14th 2017, 3:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bartholemues
There's nothing particularly dangerous about current times; it can just feel that way due to the 24 hour news cycle/internet throwing every little bit of negative news at us all day. The US is objectively safer today than I'm guessing it was around the time you arrived, as it most of the rest of the world outside of the Middle East.
I realize it depends a lot on the geographic area and time period, but in my experience and that of relatives who lived in America previously many areas re not safer. A lot depends on the geographic area one is in. Cities may have higher crime rates, but I read once that outside of the urban areas, US crime rates about on par with Switzerland.
Old Apr 14th 2017, 4:19 pm
Just Joined

bartholemues is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by morpeth
I realize it depends a lot on the geographic area and time period, but in my experience and that of relatives who lived in America previously many areas re not safer. A lot depends on the geographic area one is in. Cities may have higher crime rates, but I read once that outside of the urban areas, US crime rates about on par with Switzerland.
Obviously geography matters but what do you and your family base your analysis on? Is it a subjective feeling or an objective look at the facts?

Personally New York City feels a hell of a lot safer to me living here now than it did during my first visit in 1988 but I still wouldn't use that view as the basis of my analysis as it could be affected by a number of things such as age and life experience.
Old Apr 14th 2017, 4:44 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Cities may have higher crime rates, but I read once that outside of the urban areas, US crime rates about on par with Switzerland.
I once read about a guy who discovered that most murders occurred within 20 miles of home... so he moved!

Ian
Old Apr 14th 2017, 4:57 pm
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

I have to disagree. The Vietnam war was winding down when I arrived, negotiations were taking place to end it. That was never a war that was a threat to world peace and stability overall. China thru Nixon had been brought in from the cold The cold war with the USSR was still on but both sides were well aware of AMD.

Compare that to now. A demagogue in the Kremlin who has ambitions to recover a lost empire. In North Korea a leader who is treated like a God and is completely unpredictable as well as a ruler of a country with nuclear weapons. In the White House a man without any experience whatsoever in politics surrounded by advisors who have no experience either. Steve Bannon ? God help us all ! The EPA was in it's infancy when I arrived. Now it's on it's death bed. What does that portend for the future of the health and well being of this country?

What's happening now is a game of deadly brinkmanship between a novice politician and leader... Trump against a Russian demagogue and an unbalanced paranoid N. Korean leader.

If ever there was a scenario for blundering into a massive, destructive conflict the time is now.
Old Apr 14th 2017, 5:02 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Obviously geography matters but what do you and your family base your analysis on? Is it a subjective feeling or an objective look at the facts?

Personally New York City feels a hell of a lot safer to me living here now than it did during my first visit in 1988 but I still wouldn't use that view as the basis of my analysis as it could be affected by a number of things such as age and life experience.
Violent crime rates in the US are down significantly from the 80s and 90s. No worries though, Morpeth and Coop will now spend the next 30 pages arguing against the empirical data because they "knew a guy" who got beat up in 2014 or they've "heard about" a woman who was robbed this year. Welcome to our world. It's all very Trumpian ...."Some people say."
Old Apr 14th 2017, 5:06 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Oh snap.
Old Apr 14th 2017, 5:06 pm
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

The crime rate isn't a problem in the city I live in. I could walk around at 2 AM and feel quite safe. The problem occasionally comes from outside, gang bangers from L.A and San Bernardino who hit on the 2 million dollar homes in the north part of the city. Just recently eight of them were arrested by the local police.
Old Apr 14th 2017, 5:09 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie
It's all very Trumpian ...."Some people say."
I suggest that Trump is every bit the demagogue as Putin is. Worse perhaps - because most Russians know that Putin's in it for the power, whereas many Americans think Trump is beneficent.

Ian
Old Apr 14th 2017, 7:17 pm
Forum Regular

fakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I suggest that Trump is every bit the demagogue as Putin is. Worse perhaps - because most Russians know that Putin's in it for the power, whereas many Americans think Trump is beneficent.

Ian
He's going to die in jail & now that his idiot supporters have got that crap out of their system, the US can go back to being the visionary, progressive country that it is, in many ways.
Old Apr 14th 2017, 11:04 pm
WTF?

Originally Posted by ian-mstm

Ian
I wonder if Trump is even in it for the power. Those with ruthless ambition normally have some sort of strategy. I think he's too thick to have a strategy. I honestly believe that he did this for the attention and adulation. He's definitely not beneficent though he is willing to do "good" if it gets him the attention and constant positive reinforcement that he so obviously needs.
Old Apr 15th 2017, 8:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

I realize on BE threads personal experience is not often viewed as objective, but areas that I know something about through direct experience have shown over the decades an increase in crime, but as I wrote a lot depends on geography as USA a big country. From the news it appears overall crime statistics are down from the 80's, and I did read one report saying outside of the urban areas US crime statistics not too dissimilar to those to some areas of Europe.
Old Apr 15th 2017, 8:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The crime rate isn't a problem in the city I live in. I could walk around at 2 AM and feel quite safe. The problem occasionally comes from outside, gang bangers from L.A and San Bernardino who hit on the 2 million dollar homes in the north part of the city. Just recently eight of them were arrested by the local police.
Reminds of SF Bay Area. Lived in one upper middle class city next door to very wealthy city. The wealthy city seemed more dangerous as criminals more often there for the bigger score, while the town I was in ( Burlingame) seemed like one of the safest cities I have ever lived in except for in Switzerland.
Old Apr 15th 2017, 12:45 pm
Account Closed

... a lot depends on geography as USA a big country.
Local geography is also important! True story: Where I live we have a State Police station at one end of the road and a Federal Prison at the other end. Our area is perfectly safe because criminals try to get away from our neighborhood as fast as they can!

Ian

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.